The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 12, 2001, 08:52 PM   #1
Hal

Ok,
Here’s the address and phone number for Hunter’s Lodge.
Either Yahoo or Map Quest can provide a map. The directions are pretty straight foreward. Take route 8 to the Tallmadge Road exit, get off and go East on Tallmadge road. When you come to the Tallmadge Circle, go halfway around to East Ave. East Ave has a gas station on the North corner, if you miss it, just keep going around the circle. Go across the railroad tracks, and turn into the shopping center on the right. Hunter’s Lodge is at the back end of the shopping center. If you need to ask directions, mention that Hunter’s lodge used to be Russo’s Gun Store.

Hunter’s Lodge
137 East Avenue
Tallmadge Ohio 44278
330-630-0995

The date/time is March 24th 2:00 PM to 4:00PM. I’ll be there a bit early (hey, I gotta practice some so’s I don’t get shown up right ?) There’s usually 2 guys working there on Saturdays. The younger fella with the black hair and stash is Jim, the older crusty, but very affable fella is Stoney. Just tell them you’re part of the group Rich (that’s me) has reserved the lanes for.

The Range Rules: Basic overview.
Eyes and ears at all times inside the outer door of the range.
Eye protection has to have side shields.
You can bring your own ammo, either jacketed or lead. You may only pick up your own brass. They sell the fired brass to defray range costs. If you save your brass, be sure to ID it somehow.
The range is a cold range. No loaded and holstered guns. Unloaded and holstered are Ok, and you can load, holster and draw inside the stall.
Only 2 people are permitted per lane. Since they only have 7 lanes, and we have 3 (possibly 4), it might be crowded at times. I’ve been there times when I had the whole range to myself for hours. I’ve also been there and had to wait for an hour to shoot. Go figure.
Shotguns,handguns, pistol caliber rifles are permitted as long as they are under 2000fps./2000ftlb ME.
Rapid fire IS permitted,,,,within reason. Double tap or hammer to your heart’s content if you’re able. Just remember, if you hit one of the hangers you own it (they can charge you $10.00 for one.)

Again, we have 3 lanes reserved from 2:00PM to 4:00 PM, and a semi reservation on a 4th, traffic permitting. Like I said, I’ll take the 4th lane, and whoever wants to shoot that lane with me gets to shoot for a flat charge of $5.00, but we have to give it up if asked.
Here’s the original 8 for Hunter’s that the reservations are made for:

falconer
Dave
Engineer
1S1K
rvb
hksigwalther
Ray HP
RAE

You can contact me via [email protected] and I'll reply via my normal e-mail instead of the hotmail account.

Possibles and addons as of right now are LilJoe and his wife, and Couger. Somehow we’ll fit everybody in.
I’ll let someone else handle the Tusco end for the 25th.

Rich
Old March 12, 2001, 09:23 PM   #2
LilJoe

"You have mail"

"You have mail" a horse voice say's.
Old March 15, 2001, 10:39 AM   #3
falconer

btt
Old March 16, 2001, 12:16 AM   #4
rvb

RAE,

To be fair to others who may want to show up and are afraid of overcrowding, please take me off the list you specifically reserved for. It is looking like I may be out of town that weekend. If I return in time, I will make every effort to be there as an "add-on."

HOPEFULLY, I'll still be able to make it and see you all there!! Odds are even better I'll be back for the Tusco shoot.

Stay safe,

rvb
Old March 16, 2001, 05:36 AM   #5
Hal

rvb,
10/4 Roger D. (Shows MY age huh )
Like I said, stuff comes up. If you can make it we'll find room for ya.
Old March 16, 2001, 05:30 PM   #6
Cougar

Hunter's Lodge

Looks like I'm going to be a no-show for the 24th. Can't get off work that day. Good luck and have fun guys!
Old March 17, 2001, 03:16 AM   #7
Hal

Cougar,

No problem. Maybe next time around the timing will be better.

You guys going to Medina or OGCA have a good time. Looks like I'm in the same boat as Cougar this weekend. Mannnnn, paying bills and putting food on the table sucks at times. Maybe if i'd voted for Algore, I could get a gubmint freebie and not have to work

LOL! Het Al, you'da got my vote if I could kick back, suck off the gvt and go to gun shows with all my free time

sorry. Sleep deprevation is not a good thing. Makes me goofier than usual
Old March 17, 2001, 06:39 PM   #8
falconer

I just got back from OGCA and Medina. Surprisingly enough, I managed to walk out of the OGCA show without really buying anything. Didn't see anything that just jumped up and screamed "BUY ME BUY ME TAKE ME HOME!!!". I did spend some cash at Medina stocking up on ammo. Oh yea, and somehow, TheBluesman managed to get into the OGCA show. Talk about lowering your standards!!
Old March 17, 2001, 11:16 PM   #9
Nukem

OGCA

Man, was that place crowded or what?!!!
I didn't see anything I really needed to have So I left with most of my cash also. Bought some 9mm brass, $10 K
and some .32 FN ammo.

Old March 18, 2001, 12:05 AM   #10
falconer

There certainly were a lot of people at the show. It was a royal pain trying to get into the IX center. Between the gunshow and the outdoors show traffic sucked.
Old March 23, 2001, 05:45 PM   #11
Hal

BTT.
See y'all tomorrow at 2:00.
Old March 23, 2001, 06:10 PM   #12
LilJoe

We'll be there.

Around 2 but don't know if we'll be staying long. Looking forward to meeting ya'll.
Old March 23, 2001, 08:18 PM   #13
Engineer

See you there!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Probably can't stay too long myself - have a bachelor party to go to later in the evening. There are only a few things in life better than shooting.

Old March 23, 2001, 09:02 PM   #14
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be there tomorrow around 2pm or so. Gotta clean the pistolas tonight. I'd be embarassed to let anyone see how dirty they are.

BTW, Falconer, I resemble that remark!

See ya tomorrow.
Old March 24, 2001, 12:20 AM   #15
falconer

Dave, you also resemble a few remarks that I can't post here lest Rich bring his wrath down on me.
Old March 24, 2001, 12:27 AM   #16
3 gun

Niles

Anyone going to Niles before the Lodge? I'm going to try and stop in early. Look for a big guy in a BSA motorcycle shirt. See you all soon,rain or shine.
Old March 24, 2001, 07:34 AM   #17
LilJoe

Niles

3guns, we are stopping by there first thing. Have to pick up powders and a few other things.
Old March 24, 2001, 08:02 AM   #18
Hal

Non gun-

A BSA shirt?!?!
Temptation is setting in big time here since there's a 1970 BSA Thunderbolt in the paper for $2500.00. I'm almost tempted to sell something I know I'll regret...good thing it isn't a '68 Lightning or a '68 441 Victor Special.
Old March 24, 2001, 10:54 PM   #19
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Post-Meet Report...

We had a great turnout! I counted ten people in attendance, but I may be off a bit. Thanks to RAE for doing all the legwork, and for "hosting" us, and thanks to Falconer for the idea of an Ohio meet.

We were shooting for about two hours, and I estimate that we sent about 30 pounds of lead and copper downrange in that time. We were limited to three lanes at first, but the last hour we were able to use five of the six lanes.

A few memories while they are still fresh...

I got bit by falconer's .41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk. It's not real common to get your left thumb knuckle cut by a revolver, but I did it on the first shot and made it look easy.

Engineer let me shoot his Makarov, and it was love at first shot. My mind is made up now. I'm gettin' one (maybe two). Thanks again Ed!

Dirty Trick of the Day Award goes to RAE. Rich set up Falconer with his 4" .44 Magnum. After Tom sent five big bullets downrange, his muscles were pretty tense. Then Rich gives him the Davies .22 Derringer. You know what they say about muscle memory... It's true! I thought Tom was going to fall forward against the tray shooting that little thing!

FWIW, I put four rounds through the derringer and didn't even hit the target all four times. One shot, with the target about two yards away, keyholed about 8" high. The other shot hit about 3" high. Rich had me check out the rifling in the barrels. I noted that it (singular) was quite subtle. Thanks for bringing that along, Rich.

I was very impressed with our group. Everyone was extremely friendly and very safety conscious. It is a rare occurance to go to a range for two hours and not get swept by somebody's muzzle.

By the end of the range session, we had three or four pistols at each lane and everyone was offering to let everyone else shoot whatever they wanted. I got to try a Ruger P944, a S&W 66 with a sweet trigger, a Ruger P90 and the afore mentioned Derringer and Makarov. Falconer fell in love with a Glock 19 and we all drooled over hksigwalther's (I think) 44 magnum Desert Eagle. That was a very finish to the day!

Y'all have fun at the plateshoot tomorrow!

-Dave
Old March 25, 2001, 12:22 AM   #20
falconer

Gee, and I don't even get an honorable mention for dirty trick of the day for managing to steal your AK. geez
Old March 25, 2001, 01:53 AM   #21
LilJoe

It was very nice meeting everyone. And we hope to do it again. Marci says that the wives need to come next time. And we are looking forward to the plate shoot.
Joe and Marci
Old March 25, 2001, 02:15 AM   #22
Hal

Yeah, that derringer after the .44 never fails to get a grin . (Dave, I looked real close when I cleaned it! There's a couple lands in there! It's just that one is more pronounced than the other. Kinda gives you an idea of Davies QC though, or lack of I should say.) Gotta agree the whole thing was a blast. It was nice to put a face with the handles. hksigwalther's Desert Eagle was some sweet shooter! Not at all what I expected. I've looked at em before, but never shot one. Man oh man, one shot was plenty for me I know deep in my dirty little heart if I had put another shot through that DE, I would have gone into "gotta have one mode". In a way though it's a case of turn about being fair play. hksigwalther, was pretty taken with my Kimber. Judging from the way he chewed the center out of the target w/the Kimber, I'd say he's hooked on getting a Kimber 'bout as bad as I am on getting a Desert Eagle (Nice, Nice shooting Ron). Speaking of nice shooting, I notice TBM(Dave) modestly failed to mention his cloverleaf Counting heads was kinda tough since our group seemed to swallow up everbody else. I have to take your word that there were 10 of us.

Joe,
Marci's right about the wives. My wife would have enjoyed it. If she hadn't had to work on Saturday she would have been there. Usually I just plop "Grandma Winchester" down with her Buckmark or her Winchester and a brick of ammo and pick her up on the way out

I had a great time. Looking foreward to another one sometime. Thanks to everyone, especially falconer, for suggesting a get together. Have a good time at Tusco.

(BTW, I solved the Shiner "problem". I'm giving it to poor ole Stoney for going crazy tryin to ride herd on us He sure looked like he could use a cold one when he was trying to cash everbody out.)
Old March 25, 2001, 03:42 PM   #23
Engineer

Great day at the range!

It was great to meet all of you on Saturday. I think I echo everybody's sentiments when I say I couldn't have been with a nicer group of people. I especially enjoyed how open everyone was about sharing their guns with everybody else. I know my wallet is going to be cringing soon if I follow up on some impulses (Unfortunately, I think I've fallen in love with the P7M8 - no thanks to Ron ). The Desert Eagle was a blast to shoot except I think I'll have to do some more wrist curls before I can really hold her steady.

I hope I had some converts, or at least impressed some people with the HS2000. It's really getting to be one of my favorite pistols to shoot now.

I'm going to get the photos uploaded to photopoint soon and once the mailing list gets out, I'll send out information on how to get to it (album name and password). Also - Ron, if you want, e-mail me your photos and I'll stick the in the same album.

Hope you guys have fun at Tusco today.

Ed
Old March 25, 2001, 07:45 PM   #24
hksigwalther

Left my camera in Parma Hts. Will have to post pics next week.

Will certainly get an HS2000 after shooting Ed's and I think Rich's Kimber has finally gotten past my negative experience with 1911s. Tusco was GREAT, except for the cold, no freezing, breeze, of course.

I'll have bring something bigger (handgun) next time.
Old March 25, 2001, 08:08 PM   #25
hksigwalther

What was REALLY great about Tusco was the ability of leaving tens of thousands of dollars of ordnance laying out in the open on the tables, owners walking off to do or watch something else at another section of the complex out of line-of-sight of their property, and come back without them being touched. If only society was like that today.