The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 08:04 PM   #26
joneb

If reloaders are machinists then competition shooters are gunsmiths and nonreloaders live in caves
ask a stupid ? and get a .........
Old December 13, 2008, 10:50 PM   #27
Tex S

When I was at the range last time, (I don't go very often because we have private land availiable) I observed a gentleman with what looked to be 2 boxes of Remington factory rifle ammo in 30-06. I watched that man shoot what must have been 30 rounds in a row at the same target. He took 30 second to 1 minute breaks in between shots to adjust his scope, but he never seemed too concerned with that rifle getting too hot, or working on a good 3 or 5 shot group.

Now, how a man takes care of his business is no business of mine, but when we walked down to check those targets his was awful. He grabbed that target, walked back to the bench, stuffed that burning hot rifle back into its case, and left. I don't know if he was satisfied with his adjustments or just needed to leave, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that rifle and cartridge combination on any hunt whatsoever and he definately (imo) had some more work to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know any reloader that would do anything like that. Are reloaders a cut above? I don't know. I do know that I have never met a reloader that would do something that senseless.