The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2005, 09:34 AM   #1
ArcherAndShooter

Getting ready for turkey hunt

I just got a note yesterday from TX parks & wildlife that I've been drawn for a turkey hunt in April. I wish I luck like that on PowerBall.

My question for you all is this: where can I find some on-line resources and advice on hunting the wily old Toms? I've never had a chance to go after them before, either with bow or shotgun, and so I know nothing of tactics that will help me succeed.

The times I've seen turkeys in the wild were always when I was on land with permission to hunt deer ONLY. So I know what they sound like, and I know what they look like, and I know that they roost off the ground at night and come down to feed during the day, but that is ALL I know about hunting them, and I'd really appreciate some good advice, and being pointed in the direction of some good on-lline resources.

Thanks, all,
ArcherAndShooter
Still chasing deer but now looking forward to April, too
Old December 11, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aside from what folks here know, there are some websites devoted to turkey hunting. Probably find the URLs via Google...

Art
Old December 11, 2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Turkeys see color, so camo that is appropriate for the particular countryside is a Good Thing.

The wildlife biologists say that turkeys have superior "pattern recognition". That is, they excel in knowing if there is some change in their environment: "That stump wsn't there yesterday; I'm leaving!" This means some concealment as well as the camo. And, being still.

I guess the key to working on gobblers during the spring mating season is to learn something of the feeding pattern of hens, so you can anticipate general areas where they will be. I'm ignorant, there.

I grew up around domestic turkeys. Duplicating the various chirps isn't difficult with one of these storebought turkey calls. From what I read, most folks want to call either too often, or too long at any one time.

And that's about all I know...

, Art
Old December 12, 2005, 01:41 AM   #4
dm1333

Pattern your gun and practice with a box call

I blew the last half of the fall season here with a bad back, so good luck!!!!!!
Know what range your gun and shot selection are effective at, practice with a call, remember that less is more when it comes to calling, and wear cammo. Let us know how your hunt turns out!!!! California has a lot of things against it, but two turkey seasons a year and year round squirrel and pig help offset the craziness. Post pictures if you get one.

Don
Old December 14, 2005, 12:56 AM   #5
shureshot0471

All I can say is dont miss a inch of your body in cammo learn to call them and stay very still shootin them with bow is not easy at all if you do not hit them in the right spot they will run off no doubt at all so good luck I belive that north of the dallas ft worth aera is good turkey huntin
- Ted Nugent
Old December 14, 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

This may very well be the best place to learn:

http://www.nwtf.org/

It's the premier group that works to protect turkey habitat conservation to improve numbers and promote the sport.

Turkey hunting is the most fun hunting I've had so far. Quite a bit higher chance of success than deer hunting, at least around here. Spring turkey and fall elk (I've heard) are fun because the game talks back to ya (can't wait to try elk).