The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
model 25

Scenario just to think about

Not too long ago I was in a gunshop looking as I usually do on weekends. I shopped for about 15 minutes and bought a couple of speed loaders and turned to leave. As I looked up there was three cops in the door and the one in the middle had a shotgun ponted at my chest from 8 feet away.

The other two had hanguns pointed at me as I was the only one in the store. Of course I froze and the cops yelled to the owner that they had recieved a silent alarm. The owner replied that all was ok and the cops lowered their guns.

Seems the store owners young son hit the alarm while he was at the desk playing.

The thought occured to me that I had just been handling a gun and pointing it at the wall and they could have just a easily have shot me for the way it looked.

Kinda spooky

No I don't go back into the store anymore

Old December 3, 2005, 01:06 PM   #2
springmom

Holy Cow~~~~~~~~

Did you have to change your undies when you got home????? That is scary. Glad you're ok.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 3, 2005, 01:17 PM   #3
model 25

Did you have to change your undies when you got home?????

It was very difficult to convince my wife that what was in my shorts was "rust from buns of steel"

Old December 3, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
CraigJS

Pucker factor: VERY high! Hopefully they would have remembered it was a gun store that they were going into... Glade your ok!!! That gun store owner needs to be talked to! Not a good place for a kid to be playing..
CraigJS
Old December 3, 2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Weeg

Glad those Police Officers had GOOD FIRE DISCIPLINE

Old December 3, 2005, 04:53 PM   #6
LH2

Man, that's scary and like you said, if the timing had been different you could have been shot just handling a gun... Glad you're OK.
Old December 3, 2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

You should ask for a gift card from the owner for some tightie whities at WalMart.

What did the owner say?
Old December 3, 2005, 10:52 PM   #8
model 25

What did the owner say?

He told me he had the alarm button set so he could hit it with his knee while sitting at the desk. His son hit it with his foot. He apologised for the trouble.

I told him his thinking will get a customer killed and it won't be me the next time

Old December 4, 2005, 02:00 AM   #9
Pistolenschutze

Quote:
Not too long ago I was in a gunshop looking as I usually do on weekends. I shopped for about 15 minutes and bought a couple of speed loaders and turned to leave. As I looked up there was three cops in the door and the one in the middle had a shotgun ponted at my chest from 8 feet away.
Were you carrying at the time? Scary moment, 25, and I sure don't blame you for changing gun dealers!
Old December 4, 2005, 02:02 AM   #10
Topthis

Actually, I am suprised that the officers lowered their weapons. My sister had an experience where someone had accidently hit the silent alarm at their company...the LEO's came in very quietly, my sis almost had a heart attack when she saw the officers creeping around. They whispered if she was all right and she said yes...they responded..."right, okay...everything is okay, right, no problem...thank you..", to everyone in the office as they saw them, but they kept creeping around the whole office until they were satisfied it was cleared.
After which, they explained that they did not relax, as there might have been a BG holding someone hostage somewhere or hiding...etc. So they say things out loud, like they are relaxing, but they did not lower their weapons or their guards until they had cleared the whole office. I would think in a Gun Store, the actions would be even more careful.
Any how...glad it turned out fine.
Old December 4, 2005, 02:39 AM   #11
model 25

Actually, I am suprised that the officers lowered their weapons.

The store is small and surounded by glass and bars and the owner is an ex officer. When they stoped me they didn't say anything to me just pointed the guns and asked the owner behind the counter if everything was all right. The desk is behind the counter.

I was carrying ccw and they didn't even search me but my guess is they didn't like having to come on a false alarm. Plus they allready had an angry customer after pointing guns at me so I suspect they let the search go as I had done nothing wrong. Wouldn't have made a legal difference cause my permit was valid.

Out here there are alot of people carrying guns CCW.

Old December 4, 2005, 03:21 AM   #12
Sir William

What disturbs me is all three LEOs being in the doorway. Too close and bunched up is poor taciics.
Old December 5, 2005, 07:41 PM   #13
Dwight55

Thanks Model 25, . . . for the memories.

It was a bank for me, . . . I even worked there. Went up to cash a check, was the only "long haired hippie, chippie, flippie punk" in the bank when the teller at the next station started cleaning out her drawer. It had a bill trap, and when she pulled the money, . . . it called the cops.

It was downtown Columbus, Ohio; about 3 blocks from the main station, at shift change (both shifts were on the street).

They came in both doors, revolvers and Rem 870's up and at 'em.

Yessir, . . . almost forgot how scared I was that day, . . . thanks for reminding me.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!