The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Elvishead

Hand carry to get the paper in my boxer underwear.

This is kind of funny, but I hand carry (4am) my S&W 638 snub to get my paper here in NW Las Vegas in my front yard.

It's mainly because I don't feel like spending the time to put my pant's, or holster's on as to wake my self up, as I'm half sleepy and I want to go right to bed to sleep.

TBS, I have coyotes, "by-ped's", and Bobcat's running around in my hood.

Would you do the same?

If I took all that time, I might wake up, and not get back to sleep, just like I never turn the light on when to go pee at night.

PS: I've had a few, but this is a real question.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:45 AM   #2
rogelk

No. I like it with the light on.
Old March 14, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
highvel

So that's where "is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you glad to see me came from."

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old March 14, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
youp

No. I would pull my pants on. Hand carry is ok. The no pants with the coyotes looking for a snack part.... I have heard they run in packs. Maybe with a large cap magazine.
Old March 14, 2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Ichiban

I always thought that it was a good idea to have your full faculties about you when carrying a loaded gun. It is loaded, right? Being sleepy is no different than being drunk (IMHO) when it comes to making good decisions about using your weapon. That's why I hope my dog will give me enough warning at night that I can get fully awake before having to deploy any firepower.

Other than possibly entertaining your neighbors, why do you have to get the paper at 4:00 AM? Can't it wait until you get up at your normal time?
Old March 14, 2010, 08:38 AM   #6
BlkHawk73

If I felt the need to be armed to walk in my front yard or to get the paper, I'd be looking for a place to move to FAST!
Old March 14, 2010, 09:01 AM   #7
kgpcr

do you really need a gun to get the paper in your yard??
Smith M&P 40
Old March 14, 2010, 09:06 AM   #8
tackdriver

Posts like these are why I can't take the "Tactics and Training" forum seriously. You don't want to wake yourself up enough to put clothes on, but you'll carry a gun? If you can't appreciate the consequences of being the man in the neighborhood walking around in his underwear in the dark with a loaded pistol in his hands, you probably deserve to suffer them.
See ya on Cops. Hope your drawers are clean.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:11 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
Hand carry to get the paper in my boxer underwear
Nah.............I prefer the "Bounding Overwatch" method.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 14, 2010, 09:14 AM   #10
TailGator

Quote:
I've had a few
And it was posted at 8:40 AM eastern, or 5:40 AM in Las Vegas. That's pretty much all I need to know.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:53 AM   #11
jhenry

Wake up just a tad at least, and put britches on before you tote a loaded gun.

And no PWI, Posting While Intoxicated. Look at the wrreck you have caused
Old March 14, 2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Elvishead

Quote:
TailGator

And it was posted at 8:40 AM eastern, or 5:40 AM in Las Vegas. That's pretty much all I need to know.
Yep, I'm there! Welcome to Vegas!
Old March 14, 2010, 10:24 AM   #13
rickyjames

in my area police cruise the neighborhoods in the wee hours slowly with their lights off. i think if they saw a half naked man with a gun in his hand, especially someone who's reactions were impaired by being half asleep they would quickly investagate. at a minimum they would put a spotlight on you and start barking orders at you to drop your gun and lay face down with their guns drawn. since your judgement would be impaired the situation could quickly escalate into something deadly to you and rightly so.

if i lived on your street and saw a half naked man with a gun in his hand in the middle of the night i would call the cops as well. the question isn't really about what your wearing or not wearing, i would call the cops on anyone i saw in my neighborhood with a gun in his hand fully dressed or naked day or night. your right to keep and bear arms doesn't trump my right to live in a safe and sane neighborhood and protect my family and myself from what i might consider a threat.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Elvishead

Total screw up

Quote:
rickyjames

in my area police cruise the neighborhoods in the wee hours slowly with their lights off. i think if they saw a half naked man with a gun in his hand, especially someone who's reactions were impaired by being half asleep they would quickly investagate. at a minimum they would put a spotlight on you and start barking orders at you to drop your gun and lay face down with their guns drawn. since your judgement would be impaired the situation could quickly escalate into something deadly to you and rightly so.

if i lived on your street and saw a half naked man with a gun in his hand in the middle of the night i would call the cops as well. the question isn't really about what your wearing or not wearing, i would call the cops on anyone i saw in my neighborhood with a gun in his hand fully dressed or naked day or night. your right to keep and bear arms doesn't trump my right to live in a safe and sane neighborhood and protect my family and myself from what i might consider a threat.

OK, I'm not drinking at the time.

My neighbors knows me.

I was just worried about LEO's.

I pretty much keep my gun hidden, and I do wear a shirt, so I'm not naked.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Hook686

No, I would not do the same.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Since I'm up this morning and I read the paper on-line and I'm the mod looking at this - I will quote Capt. Charlie from this forum:

TFL Members are ambassadors to the world for firearm owners. What kind of ambassador does your post make you?

So guess what!

Closed and put your pants on.