The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Farmland

AR 15 Mags

I bought my AR 15 back when Clinton was president. I was lucky to get a pre ban Ar but at the time mags were going like crazy because of the pending Brady Bill. Thus I was forced to by those plastic Ram -Line mags. To tell the truth they held up a lot longer than I thought they would.

However now they are showing their age and of course some have large cracks on the top where they hold the round in the mag. There is no question they need to be retired.

Tonight I picked up a few Brownells with the Mil-Spec green follower & Chrome silicon spring. In addition the clerk showed me the PMAG 30 Maglevel mag. It didn't look so bad for a non steel mag. Has any buddy had any long term experience with them. They are priced fairly low so I am considering buy a few more.
Old August 17, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

PMags are some of the premier mags. Many deployed soldiers like them and many shooters use them for carbine classes and heavy range use. PMags are very tough and will last a long time. I have about 40 of them and have no problems with them. They are very slick and load and feed effortlessly and reliably.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 18, 2009, 06:36 AM   #3
7jinxed7

Mine feed flawlessly.They are great mags with one downfall.THey do not fit all AR's well.If you have a better grade AR that has a lower receiver made to COLT specs your good.If you have a cheaper one like me they don't drop free.I just returned five for that issue and the new slimmer ones don't drop free either.This doesn't seem to be a issue with Colt.Bushmaster,RockRiver,etc.JUst the cheaper ones that are out of spec.Just something to consider.C-Products are metal and have had great reviews.
Old August 18, 2009, 07:22 AM   #4
lmccrock

Brownells mags have a good reputation; the one I have works (it came from a prize table at a match).

Magpul Pmags were designed for the tolerances of Colt's receivers (according to a Magpul rep on AR15.com); they usually fit other rifles. I have 3 Pmags; 1 does not drop free when empty from one lower (Bushmaster) but drops ok from another (Rock River). Different BM and RRA lowers might be different.

I have a few CProducts mags, and they work for me, but not for eveyone. Aimsurplus has a special on CP; at $7.95 its a great deal.

Both Magpul and CP will exchange mal-fitting mags.

Lee
Old August 18, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
M1911

Quote:
have 3 Pmags; 1 does not drop free when empty from one lower (Bushmaster) but drops ok from another (Rock River).
I suspect a little careful sanding/filing will solve that.
Old August 18, 2009, 08:32 AM   #6
ThomasPaine

what about AR Stoner mags?

midway usa has 30 AR stoner mags on sale for 9.99 until the 31st. I was thinking of buying some.

--Thomas Paine--
Old August 18, 2009, 10:45 AM   #7
lmccrock

Quote:
I suspect a little careful sanding/filing will solve that.
True, but I do not really want to load up all my mags and run them through all the rifles just to see if they work. My preference is to grab a few and go. Also, mine are older and Magpul reduced the size a smidge, so new ones might drop, but as 7jinxed7 found out, maybe not.

Farmland, you said:
Quote:
It didn't look so bad for a non steel mag.
Missed this in my first reply - You do know that most metal AR mags are aluminum? CProducts and others make steel , but most are Al.

Lee
Old August 18, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

My PMags drop free with a couple of RRA, a DPMS, a Stag and DoubleStar lowers, mostly with LMT uppers.

The Brownell's aluminum milspec mags are great quality. Even better with the optional Magpul anti-tilt follower. I believe these are about $1 more than the with the green milspec anti-tilt follower.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 18, 2009, 12:30 PM   #9
WC145

I have a number of PMAGs and they're the only ones I trust in my patrol rifle. My gun is a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and the PMAGs drop free and function perfectly. In fact the only mags I have trouble with are Brownell's, they fit very tight.
The PMAGs also drop free and function well in my Kel-tec PLR-16.
Old August 18, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
THEZACHARIAS

Ive never had a problem with them, with ~10,000rds expended to date (given theyve been in use for a good while, it wasnt an overnight load-and-shoot marathon)

More telling (I would say) is that, in all my time in Afhganistan, I never once saw a special forces soldier/airman/sailor who didnt use PMAGs in one incarnation or another. Maybe its the color or maybe its the funcitonality, but they all seem to like these things A LOT.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:23 PM   #11
Farmland

I gave the PMags a workout in my AR today and what a nice product. They load and feed great and they dropped out of my Ar like the metal ones. I think for now on I will only be buying the PMags.

The Brownell's did just as great too.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:13 PM   #12
7jinxed7

Hey if they fit go for it.You'll love'em.
Old August 22, 2009, 04:34 AM   #13
avgjoe3

another vote for pmags and cproducts... use both and never an issue in my ARs of all brands to my Kel-tecs...