The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1
5RWill

700 extractor shaving the rims of brass?

I can't figure it out. I've never had a problem like this out of my 5R until now. Most of my rounds chamber fine then there are a couple that are hard as hell to chamber due to the cam on the bolt. Any ideas?

I have a similar problem to a worse extent with the .243 where extracting a rd actually bent the rim of the case took the .243 to my smith he says it's a die problem. So i've cleaned out the chamber of the .243, switched to another die, and then shot again, brass shavings back in the chamber. The load for the .308 is 1.2 grains under max and the .243 i think is .5 grains under max.

Or is this all normal and i'm just worrying about nothing?

The load consist of this.

Nosler .308 brass
Berger 175gr BT LR
44gr of varget compressed
Fed 210m primers
COL 2.810
Brass OL right at trim length 2.005.

Old January 29, 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, I tend to get bad vibes when someone says "compressed", but my question really isn't an answer, but a separate question. I am wondering why those cases seem to have the primer pockets reamed so deep. It doesn't seem to be causing any trouble, but it looks odd.

Jim
Old January 29, 2012, 01:32 AM   #3
5RWill

I might be seating them too deep. I tend to squeeze a little on the hard size when hand priming.

Are the brass shavings just a normal part of shooting a bolt action? All my other 700s have shavings in them too which maybe i'm just too critical of these types of things.