The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2002, 12:33 PM   #1
Brian Newbill

Help, I'm in love

Yesterday I went and looked at guns and I just happened to pick up a Benelli M1 Field 20ga with a 24" bbl.

Man it sure did feel nice. It was so light and quick, it felt like a single shot.

Now I don't know what I should do!

Talk me out of it or into it.

I already have a single shot and a pump action 20 ga.

Why should I get the automatic? Or should I?

(All arguments will help with my convining my wife)
Old March 26, 2002, 01:16 PM   #2
Dave R

Since it swings so nice, and should be quicker on the follow-up shots, you will bring home more game with fewer shells. Therefore, it will save money over time...

I'm really reaching here...
Old March 26, 2002, 01:34 PM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Tell her----" I bought it because I want it"----not sure how that will go over----but at least its the truth---lol
-------Metallica
Old March 26, 2002, 02:26 PM   #4
Bud1

Convincing your wife - ?!

You mean that you have never had guns "mysteriously appear" in your gun safe before?

"Gee, Honey, I've had that old gun for years!
Old March 26, 2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Brian Newbill

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my wife is very interested in guns and very aware of all my collection. She would definitely know if I got another.

She is also very much in need of some more living room furniture (or at least that is what she believes).

She also thinks that I only need 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, and 1 pistol. I don't need the rest only want them.

But if I could come up with some really good arguments why I need a 20ga auto (When I already have a 12 ga auto) I might be able to convince her. Especially if I trade in something else.
Old March 26, 2002, 03:08 PM   #6
71Hoss

Just buy it and if she finds out, tell her you bought it in case SHE takes up shooting. The recoil is lighter than the pump and single, no? So the purchase is both advanced planning and an act of love.
Old March 26, 2002, 06:03 PM   #7
PJR

What specifically do you want to do with this gun? It sounds like an admirable upland bird gun and if you need such a piece then I'd buy it. But without a specific function in mind, I'd pass. I've bought too many guns over the years on a whim only to find they become closet queens.

A second idea might be to trade/sell the 20 gauge pump and/or the single shot and consider this an "upgrade" as opposed to a new gun. The previous comment about suggesting this is a gun your wife could use is a good one but it might backfire if she actually takes you up on it.

I understand what you are saying about the Benelli 20's. I've handled a couple and like them although in longer barrel lengths.
Old March 26, 2002, 06:43 PM   #8
Dave R

Sure, just tell her you're buying this 20ga as HER shotgun, so you and she can shoot together.
Old March 26, 2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No simple answer here, but...

Have her read some of the stuff here about the myriad uses of a shotgun, the many ways good ones can feed and protect families for generations, and tell her, "It's for the children"(G)...

Years ago, I promised my wife that I'd keep my stuff under 10 guns, and I have. All the rest of them here belong to the kids....
Old March 27, 2002, 12:03 PM   #10
JohnPL

Buy it. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
Old March 27, 2002, 01:16 PM   #11
Brian Newbill

I think I would like to use it as an upland gun. Occasionally for skeet and possibly for crows.

Unfortunately she doesn't like to shoot shotguns. She likes to target shoot with her .22 rifle and her 9mm Glock but that is about it.

I really love the way that gun felt though.