The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
cajun47

federal flitecontrol 00 buckshot 2 3/4" 12ga.

i see the regular high brass is at 1325 fps and the low recoil version is at 1145 fps. which one should penetrate more?

this would be for outside the house or for a truck shotgun.
Old July 6, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
PawPaw

I don't believe that a goblin would be able to tell the difference. We (my agency) uses the low-recoil ammo and it's great stuff. Patterns wonderfully in our Rem 870 shotguns and scores have gone up. It normally puts all the buckshot in the shell into the 8-ring of a standard B27 target.

I see your location as "swamp people". Do you live in the basin? I'm in central Louisiana, just north of Alexandria in the piney woods.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 6, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3
cajun47

yes i live near morgan city.

i ask cause i see the test this guy does on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/videos

i see the 12 ga slugs at 1600 fps break apart and penetrates 10 to 12 inches. then that winchester buck n ball stuff which is slower does not break apart and penetrates like 17 inches.

not sure if that relates to federal flitecontrol 00 buck but i sure would rather the low recoil stuff if it penetrates about the same or more than the faster high brass flitecontrol buck.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:47 AM   #4
wnycollector

Quote:
I don't believe that a goblin would be able to tell the difference. We (my agency) uses the low-recoil ammo and it's great stuff. Patterns wonderfully in our Rem 870 shotguns and scores have gone up. It normally puts all the buckshot in the shell into the 8-ring of a standard B27 target.
This has been my experience as well. I patterned the Federal low recoil 00 w/ flite control (LE13200) in my Maverick 88 and was impressed with it out to 25 yards.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
jmortimer

From the tests I've seen the Federal Flitecontrol will produce the best pattern. The reduced recoil is a really good choice for self-defense.