The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
zxcvbob

Anybody use Titegroup in .41 Magnum?

I have a little less than 1/2 pound of Titegroup powder than I want to use up. So I thought .41 Mag might be a good candidate because it generally takes a lot of powder. I will be using Lee 210 grain cast bullets.

Does 8.5 grains of TG sound about right? I thought I'd start at 8 and work up towards 9 grains. If it makes any difference I'll be shooting these in a Ruger Blackhawk. I think leading is going to be the limiting factor here, even with a fast powder. (The bullets are made of water-dropped pistol range scrap, and they've aged about a month since I cast them.)
Old December 10, 2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Crankylove

I do.

But, I use it for ".41 Special" loads in my 6.5" Blackhawk.

4.5 grains of Titegroup and a 215 grain lead SWC (doing about 875 fps or so). Makes for a pleasant shooting and accurate plinking round.

Hodgdon lists 5.5 grains (1,004 fps) as their max load for that powder, don't think I would start at 8 grains, maybe 5 and work up from that.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Leading is not near as big of a factor when the bullets are sized to fit the bore. Hardess is debatable. Fit is king. Not that asside I would recomend sticking to published loads. If you want more velocity use a different powder.

8.0 grains is nearly twice the max of any of Hodgdon's listed loads. Using a load like that is probably going damage something like your gun, yourself, and anyone and anything near where you are shooting

Note I load .41 mag. I cast my own 210 grain LSWC. I liked using TiteGroup 4.8 - 5.0 grains, then Swithced to Trail Boss for target loads. For warmer loads I use Acurate Arms #9.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4
srsmith

NO ! STOP !

8 gr too much TG for most 41 mag bullets.

Check the loads at http://www.hodgdon.com/ and choose something recommended by the powder manufacturer.

Be Safe and have fun !

-steve
Old December 10, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Hodgdon's only has very low-pressure loads listed -- 15000 CUP. Like they were trying to make .38-40 Cowboy loads out of the .41 Magnum. (Alliant did the same thing with their load data a couple of years ago)

I checked Lyman's #48 and it doesn't have much data for this cartridge.

Maybe I should just use .357 Magnums or 9mm to burn up this powder.
Old December 10, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
bluetopper

I wouldn't use Titegroup in anything approaching higher pressures.

38Spl or 45acp are OK as far as I'm concerned.

I know of more than a few 500 S&W Magnums, Titegroup has blown up with published loads.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:36 PM   #7
TX Nimrod

Quote:
Hodgdon's only has very low-pressure loads listed -- 15000 CUP.
What? Hodgon's 2011 manual lists 7.4 grains of Tightgroup under a .41 Magnum 210-grain bullet at 33,200 CUP.

The OP needs to buy and use a modern reloading manual, or learn to find tested data on-line. Asking on a forum if a particular load is "safe" is dicey at best, and dangerous at worst....

Old December 10, 2011, 10:42 PM   #8
caz223

TG is just not the powder to use in the mighty 41 mag, use up your TG in 9mm.
Old December 10, 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quickload says the load I want is safe, but that doesn't mean it's advisable. I have a .41 load that I like with this bullet, so maybe I ought to stick with that and use up the TG in 9mm. It doesn't take much powder per shot, but it's easy to burn thru a lot of 9 at a time, so that might actually use it up faster.

Thanks.
Old December 11, 2011, 12:21 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I know of more than a few 500 S&W Magnums, Titegroup has blown up with published loads.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. I must assume there were unmentioned variables (change in bullet, change in OAL, etc), unless you can provide links to the firearms you're referencing.
Old December 12, 2011, 08:09 PM   #11
bluetopper

Sure FrankenMauser,

Here's one of the links entitled "Why I don't use Titegroup in the 500".

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...oup-500-a.html
Old December 13, 2011, 01:46 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

I don't buy it.

You have a guy claiming to have seen 3 of these revolvers blown up by 17 gr of Titegroup behind a 370 gr (or lighter) lead projectile... but there isn't any supporting evidence.

In a glaring example; half way through his post, he makes this statement:
Quote:
He said his load was a charge of Titegroup that was a few grains below the starting recommendation with a lightweight cast bullet. He believes he got detonation. Hodgdon says that’s impossible, and that he loaded a double charge.
If he was a "few" grains below a starting charge, that would be somewhere between 8 and 13 grains of Titegroup (based on published data) - NOT the 17 grains claimed at the beginning of the post. But, the author of the post doesn't divulge the actual charge, or components. And... "a few grains below the starting recommendation" is not published data. That's "I pulled this out of my rear orifice" data.

It doesn't matter if you're light or heavy. If you're deviating from the published data, then it is NOT a published load.

And, lastly...
Hodgdon knows the powder better than anyone else. If they won't replace the firearm and say it was a double charge, it was double charge.
Hodgdon goes out of their way to make sure their customers are happy, except when they know the customer was the idiot that caused the problem.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:48 AM   #13
cornbush

Quote:
Hodgdon knows the powder better than anyone else. If they won't replace the firearm and say it was a double charge, it was double charge.
Hodgdon goes out of their way to make sure their customers are happy, except when they know the customer was the idiot that caused the problem.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had a firearm replaced by Hodgdon, the testing and process is pretty involved. If they say he over charged it I believe thats what happened.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:48 PM   #14
bluetopper

I believe John Ross 100%. Trust me, he has no reason to lie.

He was instrumental in the development of the 500 cartridge and the S&W handguns that fire them. That's why he has a S&W model named after him.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:12 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I believe John Ross 100%. Trust me, he has no reason to lie.

He was instrumental in the development of the 500 cartridge and the S&W handguns that fire them. That's why he has a S&W model named after him.
Believe him all you want... It doesn't change the fact that HE hasn't had one blow up. All of the claims are based on second-hand anecdotal evidence. There is nothing to truly back up the claims of published loads blowing up .500 S&W revolvers.

If Hodgdon says it was a double charge, it was a double charge.