The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
kwhi43

Showing a Shotgun Off

My friend Jr. loves shotguns. Here is his 12 ga double Flintlock. Can you
imiagine holding this and shooting it?

Old December 9, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Alden

I had a .50 caliber flintlock blue ridge rifle and it depends on how much powder you use. An average load for that gun was 70 grains of FF (as i recall) which wasn't too bad. I imagine a shotgun might be tossing out more lead and might use more powder too.

That is one beautiful piece of wood there too. I wonder what it is?
Old December 9, 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Nice looking shotgun! I imagine it is a real pleasure to shoot - it looks like it just "melt" into your arms. I love flint. I've built several custom flint rifles and have a Fusil de Chase - 20 gauge. It's a sweet shooting gun - either round ball or shot. I've taken some ducks with it and it was a thrill to "hit them on the wing". For some reason, people think that flintlocks are a mystery and cantankerous - couldn't be further from the truth. A good flinter with a touchhole properly placed in relation to the pan can provide super fast ignition. In fact, I'd much rather shoot a flinter - either rifle or smoothbore - than a caplock and expecially more than those new fangled cartridge guns. Your friend has a beautiful piece - thanks so much for sharing ti with us. I hope he lets you shoot it as well?!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 9, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Hardcase

Absolutely gorgeous!
Old December 10, 2010, 12:16 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

Now that I've cleaned all the drool off of my keyboard and from down the front of my shirt, I can uncategorically state that that is one beautiful scattergun. I've always wanted a flintlock double.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 10, 2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

Oh man, I love it! I've only seen one other double flintlock - the owner of Dave's Pawn here in Helena..... Dave, I think his name is...

SASS 47015
Old December 10, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Noz

Here's my take on flintlocks.
I felt, a few years back, that my life would be complete if I could just own a 38 caliber flintlock rifle.
I searched for several months before I found a Pedersoli in 36 that was close enough.
My first impression was that I had never seen a new rifle in such poor condition. Wood was poor and wood to metal fit was terrible. No problem, I wanted a shooter. I didn't get that either. It usually took 3-5 snaps before the thing would fire. I tried every flint I could find and all of the "fixes" I could come up with. A new flint would last about three rounds then it had to be knapped or replaced. I even had the frizzen heat treated. I couldn't give you a group size because I couldn't get three shots in a row.
I've often said that the reason you always see paintings of mountain men with two horses, is that it takes the second horse to carry all the stuff required to keep a flintlock firing.
Needless to say after about 6 months of agony, I traded it to a young warrior that had more patience than I.
He went to a rifle builder and spent more than the original price of the gun to finally get it to shoot. The primary repairs were a touch hole movement and a brand new quality lock.
I still love the front stuffers but I am a proponent of the theory that there was a reason for the invention of the percussion cap.

That said, that is a beautiful shotgun.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:22 PM   #8
kwhi43

Another View of the Locks

Old December 10, 2010, 01:57 PM   #9
tighty whitey

Thanks

That gun is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold forever! Thanks for sharing!
Old December 10, 2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhi43
Another View of the Locks
Would you please quit it. I've got to change another shirt from all the drool running down the front.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 10, 2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

I am with fingers

I am not a long arm guy but that is a pretty thing. I started to comment on the beauty of the wood but then everything about that shotgun is nice.
Old December 10, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
kwhi43

Get another shirt Fingers, here are some of the rifles they shoot at our club

Old December 10, 2010, 06:40 PM   #13
mykeal

Quote:
Here's my take on flintlocks.
I felt, a few years back, that my life would be complete if I could just own a 38 caliber flintlock rifle.
I searched for several months before I found a Pedersoli in 36 that was close enough.
My first impression was that I had never seen a new rifle in such poor condition. Wood was poor and wood to metal fit was terrible. No problem, I wanted a shooter. I didn't get that either. It usually took 3-5 snaps before the thing would fire. I tried every flint I could find and all of the "fixes" I could come up with. A new flint would last about three rounds then it had to be knapped or replaced. I even had the frizzen heat treated. I couldn't give you a group size because I couldn't get three shots in a row.
I've often said that the reason you always see paintings of mountain men with two horses, is that it takes the second horse to carry all the stuff required to keep a flintlock firing.
Needless to say after about 6 months of agony, I traded it to a young warrior that had more patience than I.
He went to a rifle builder and spent more than the original price of the gun to finally get it to shoot. The primary repairs were a touch hole movement and a brand new quality lock.
I still love the front stuffers but I am a proponent of the theory that there was a reason for the invention of the percussion cap.

That said, that is a beautiful shotgun.
It's a real shame that you let one bad experience with a poorly made piece of junk color your attitude about all flintlock rifles. That makes about as much sense as never driving a car because you once owned a Yugo.
Old December 10, 2010, 10:44 PM   #14
kwhi43

Yep, I really feel sorry for people like that.