The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 24, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

Dangerous Muzzleloaders?

Hello, I was wondering if any of you have seen or own an H&R break-open muzzleloader, I think they were called The Shikari? Anyway, they were built on their break-open single shot action. Primer was enclosed when action closed & used std. #11 cap. The breech-plug had an "0" Ring to hold in place, sharp rap with ram rod knocked out for cleaning. It seems a fellow had a mis-fire with one & without thinking, opened action right away...hang fire went off..plug striking him in forehead killing him. Company was in trouble for some time after that, of course they re-designed plug with threads this time. Be careful out there!
Old November 24, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

My .54 cal was called a Huntsman, and had the old style push in breech plug as you describe.

SASS 47015
Old November 24, 2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Those models were ruled illegal for hunting in a number of states. After an initial splurge of popularity they seemed to vanish.
I believe some were capable of chambering a cartridge round when the breech plug was out.
Old December 8, 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Nite Ryder

Dangerous Muzzleloaders

Here is a link to a page that is quite interesting and has alot of good info about muzzleloaders. Toward the bottom of the info, dangerous muzzleloaders are discussed. The author of the article says CVA muzzleloaders are dangerous and points out which ones. I have many muzzleloading rifles, shotguns, and handguns, I gave away all of the CVA's I had (only had two) after reading the article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm
Old December 8, 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
I gave away all of the CVA's I had
Well, then there were some lucky guys that got free CVAs. You did read that only a couple had problems, right? Yours were probably fine if they weren't recalled. I have several CVAs and I like the ones I have. They do the job, and are plenty safe.
Old December 8, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Nite Ryder

Dangerous Muzzleloaders?

I only had two CVA's, and I just didn't want to take a chance on them blowing up. I have more than one Thompson Center Hawkin, A John Browning Mt Rifle, A Ruger 77/50, and a Reminton bolt action (700?), a TC Encore, and a TC inline. The only one I've shot recently is the Encore. I have two sxs shotguns make by Navy Arms, and an O/U Berreta (unfired). Sure didn't hurt me to give away the CVA's, neither of them had never been shot. If I had it to do over again, I would still get rid of the CVA's.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; December 8, 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 9, 2010, 01:55 AM   #7
FrontierGander

randy wakeman scare tactics! Show him pictures of the blown up savage muzzle loaders and he squeals like a pig LOL.

I'll keep my CVA's.

100 yards
Old December 9, 2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

I didn't read the article but have experience with CVA.
The early CVAs (1970 and for some years after) were pure junk. The muzzle loading craze was just starting and many companies jumped into the fray for a piece of the dollar.
I had a 'Kentucky' flintlock long rifle. To tell everything wrong with it would take paragraphs.
But, the company got tired of complaints and recognized that to stay in business they would have to change their ways.
In short, the started making some fine ml rifles and, for factory made, their Mountain Rifle (Hawken-like) was as good as they came.
Today, I believe CVA quality is excellent and the company stands behind their products.
However, if you get one of their early guns, hang it on the wall.
Old December 9, 2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander
randy wakeman scare tactics! Show him pictures of the blown up savage muzzle loaders and he squeals like a pig LOL.

The issue of the blown up ML-10s has been disproved over and over and over....

However, I also disagree that modern muzzleloaders, CVA or others, are particularly dangerous when used correctly. Like any other firearms, there are low-end and high-end examples.

The $149 Wal*Mart gun is low-end, the ML-10 is high-end. The $149 gun won't do what the $750 gun will do. That's basically true no matter what you're talking about.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:56 PM   #10
kodiak57

CVA Muzzleloaders

I had a CVA Accura 2009 model stainless steel barrel with camo thumbhole stock. I also have a 2009 T/C Omega that has a stainless barrel with black thumbhole stock. Both rifles have the same Bushnell DOA 3-9x40 scope. I went to the range the other day to sight in both guns, I set up my target at 100 yards, then pulled out the CVA, put 2 triple seven pellets and a 245 grain powerbelt in, sat down sighted in the target, pulled back the hammer and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened except smoke started coming out where the rifle breaks open. It was not a pretty sight, I waited a minute then opened the gun and took the breech plug out, then used the power rod and pushed the bullet & pellets out. I did some research and found out that there has been problems with the CVA breech plugs. I put the rifle back into it's case and pulled out my T/C, shot 8 times and had no problems with 2 1/2 inch groupings. I know T/C's are made here in the US and CVA's are built in Spain. Needless to say, the next day I took the CVA and traded it in at a local store, then purchased a new T/C Triumph Bone Collector with the speed breech plug. From now on when it comes to muzzleloaders I will only buy American made guns! As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, I will spend the extra money for a safe, well built gun.
Old December 10, 2010, 12:06 AM   #11
FrontierGander

kodiak, pellets just going poof is a pretty common complaint. This happens as pellets are known to suck up moisture.

I had the same problem in my cva accura with pellets. I had one box and HALF of them did this.

A couple guys on other forums with tc triumps found that they couldnt use winchester 777 primers or else the rifles would just go poof and just spit the bullet out.
Old December 10, 2010, 06:52 PM   #12
kodiak57

CVA Muzzleloaders

Thanks for the info, I think I will try powder instead of the pellets. I have never used powder before and I always thought that when you put the powder down the barrel it would stick to the sides since I use bore butter when I clean my guns. Do you have any suggestions on what type of powder would be best for my T/C Omega & my new Triumph Bone Collector. Any info would be appreciated. Also, I have been using power belt bullets 245 & 295 grain, I read that the new Barnes spit fire EZ are good. Does anyone have any experience with these bullets.

Thanks