The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2009, 10:08 AM   #26
INGunGuy

My problem with just throwing out this old powder is that I have upwards of 50 pounds of the stuff, at 20 bucks a pound, that comes out to around a grand worth of powder that I have. I know that I didnt buy the stuff, but me being the tight-wad that I am would really like to be able to use this powder. The really strange thing about all this old powder is that I have loaded IMR 4064 in my .243 rounds that works just fine. I also loaded using 40 year old Bullseye powder that was in a can where the seal had been broken and some used, and that worked great until it ran out. As soon as I get home, I am going to get the lot number off the can that I have started to use and post it on another thread.

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:13 AM   #27
Sevens

Here's an idea-- call up Alliant again and if the guy tells you to buy a new can, suggest that he take your 50 pounds and GIVE you, say, 25 pounds of his new stuff.

No doubt, if you've got 50 pounds, you've got to make it work.

Hell, the load you made up seemed hot, so reduce it. Seems to me that you can make this stuff work.

Myself, I just don't care for Unique. But if I had 50 pounds of it, I would become a big fan of the stuff.

Seriously though... another REAL suggestion would be to Gunbroker the stuff. There's a limit to how many pounds that can be shipped in one carton, but you might make a pretty good sale. You won't get any $15 a pound for it, but someone might be quite interested. Maybe even someone within driving distance so there is no shipping or hazmat involved.
Old January 22, 2009, 04:23 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Other than a formulation change (which we know occured many times over the decades), the only logical reasons I see for your loads being substantially hotter than expected are:

1. A bad charge was thrown in the cartridge. - The scale may have read 5.5 grains, but was it really 5.5 grains? There are many things that can cause a bad reading, especially with balance beams.
I did some testing with my scale to make sure I knew how much a draft in the room could affect my weights. One of my tests with the scale reading 3.8 grains, actually had almost 6 grains of powder in the pan. (... With the air currents nearly imperceptible)

2. Physical degredation of the powder. - Are you absolutely certain that powder hadn't started to break down? I know it is hard to tell with flake powders, but a dusty powder charge could cause much more rapid ignition.

As a side note:
Alliant or Hodgdon used to have a hand-out available with their reloading components that went over proper storage. One of the interesting points was they actually had reccommended compromises if you couldn't have both controlled temp, and controlled humidity. They reccommended storing primers in a humidity controlled environment; as temperature variations didn't matter much. Powder was reccommended in a temperature controlled environment, as humidity had less of an effect. (and the cans should have been sealed anyway.)