The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 16, 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
deepcore

Spotting scope and safety glasses

Hi
Having trouble getting the most out of my (20-60) spotting scope at the local range because at higher magnifications the eye relief shrinks and it's not safe to lift my safety glasses up to look into the spotting scope.
At the risk of having to get a spotting scope that's more expensive than some of my guns... What are my options?
I can look into smaller and flatter lenses (less wrap around) safety glasses but would feel less protected.
May have to make that compromise though.
My spotter has no folding eyecup and has only a very small rubber rim to that's out.
So.. Looking for different scope suggestions and/or safety glasses suggestions.
Thanks
Old April 19, 2011, 06:32 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Depending on the distance between you and the target lower power may be better. At ,say, 24x there is usually better brightness and contrast then 60x. At higher powers the view is dark and grainy. Try turning the power down. You may also not have to be really close to the eyepiece at lower power.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 19, 2011, 06:53 PM   #3
PawPaw

When I'm using my spotting scope, I simply lift my safety glasses to my forehead. 4ever is right that most times you get better light transmission at the lower power, but I've never had a safety issue with the brief time I've been on the scope.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 20, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

I just take my safety glasses off when I need to look through the spotting scope. I shoot on a private range which isn't ever crowded, so I'm not concerned with the safety aspects of having my glasses off for a few seconds.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Mike40-11

I rarely turn my adjustable scope (20-60) above 25X or so. Usually I leave it all the way down at 20. Brighter, more eye relief, wider field. Trying to find bullet holes at 200 I usually find it gets harder if I turn the power up unless it's very bright out.

I've got a pretty cheap scope though. Barska. Unfortunately I've had a chance to look through a lot of other shooters' scopes. Konus, Kowa, Nikon, Leupold, Swarovski (drool) etc etc. You do get much better scopes for the money but WOW do they cost.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:37 PM   #6
4runnerman

I just crank up power on my scope. 10-40 x 50. I can see bullet holes from 400 yards very good. Many times i help others out there,Save them the time of walking down range and shutting us all down for a while. I have a spotting scope but have never found the need for it yet. I shoot on 32 power and check target on 40 power.Works great.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:33 AM   #7
spacecoast

As you crank up the power on a telescope, it's the exit pupil (the size of the circle exiting the eyepiece) that shrinks and makes it more difficult to find the image. Scopes tend to work best when the exit pupil is somewhere close to the diameter of the human eye's pupil (about 3mm depending on light conditions). You can calculate the exit pupil by dividing the size of the objective (probably 50 or 60mm) by the magnification.

If by chance your scope has a removable eyepiece (which it likely doesn't), you can try substituting an eyepiece with a longer eye relief. A set of fixed power eyepieces will probably give you a better image than a variable power eyepiece.

Orion Telescopes (www.telescope.com) is a good source for spotting scopes and eyepieces that are better than your run-of-the-mill department store scopes.