The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
40 cal

Glock sights

I recently bought a Glock 22. I took it to the range and at 25 yards I shot like garbage! Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on what type of optics they use on their Glock?
Old July 27, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
smince

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413268
Or
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mil...nrmrsight.aspx
Old July 27, 2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Terry A

I just use the Trijicon 3 dot night sights. They're on all my pistols. I have never had any problem, other than after several years, they'll need replaced.
Great value.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 27, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
COSteve

Because of their unique grip angle and center trigger safety, Glocks take some getting use to. Most right handed people shoot low left when they start out. It just takes practice and attention to fundamentals.

Old July 27, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
ep2621

COSteve: most right handed shooters shoot low and left.

That is absolutely right.

When I first began shooting Glocks I thought they were very inaccurate. (I was shooting way closer than 25 yards) All shots were low and left. After a little practice (no sight adjustment) I started eating up the center of the targets. Give that a try first. Plus you get a little more range time and that is always good.
Old July 27, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
rsxr22

sounds like operator issues but the sights could be off. I agree with replacing them, the best sight out there hands down is the tru-glo TFO. Its the best of both worlds, bright fiber optic for day shooting, and brightest tritium ive seen between meps, trijis, and the rest at night. I just wish they made them for every gun i own
Old July 27, 2010, 08:53 PM   #7
booker_t

The standard Glock night sights (three dot Triji's like the other poster said) are quite good.

I would try shooting the gun supported (ideally in a vise, if not then lock your hands down on a bench) and test it's performance before you say it's the gun or the sights and not the operator.

Also, how do you typically shoot at 25 yards? I don't know many people who can dump .40 S&W into a 3x5 card at 75 feet.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Jimmy10mm

CO Steve, thanks for that image. To the OP, I have only shot the Glock 23, 27 and the 20 and all three shoot real well for me. I happen to really like double action and find the Glock triggers excellent. Might just take some getting used to. Standard vanilla sights on mine.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:58 PM   #9
rtpzwms

Was your Glock NIB or used. I bought a used 17 and it shot far left. I normally shoot fairly well. After having it for about 6 months I decided it wasn't me... I had 3 dot night sights installed similar to those mentioned earlier in this thread and low and behold the Glock shot MUCH better.

If you had the gun to a friend does he/she shoot to the left as well? I did have one advantage when I did this the person I handed it to was a former US Army Pistol team member. (I feel very inferior when I shoot with him)
Old July 27, 2010, 10:06 PM   #10
wingspar

I’ve got over 500 rounds thru my Glock, I’m right handed, and all my shots are still low left. At least, now all my shots actually hit the paper. I was starting to get good, then didn’t shoot for a couple of months. Starting over. Had my other half sew up some sand bags for me, and I rested the gun on sand bags at the perfect height. Holy smokes. Dead center first shot. I’ve never moved beyond 25 feet with a handgun. I’m just too shaky. Probably really need to take a class.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:03 AM   #11
RogerP9fan

You ought to have a gunsmith take a "bore sighter" to it to ensure your sites are accurate. Whatever kind you have, doesn't matter.they must be aligned properly...
Old August 2, 2010, 03:05 AM   #12
voyager4520

It's not the sights, you're not used to shooting a Glock. The grip, especially the angle of the grip, is much different from other pistols. The trigger also takes a lot of getting used to and breaking in.

The slippery texture of the grip doesn't help any, I have a Hogue HandAll grip on my G23. It adds bulk but fits my hands well. I'll probably get a Talon Grip for my G27 in the future.
Old August 2, 2010, 05:04 AM   #13
Daryl

Agreed; it's not the sights.

Focus on the front sight, and work on trigger control. Squeeze the trigger slowly, and don't anticipate the gun going off. If the front sight leaves the bullseye, stop squeezing the trigger until the sights are aligned again, and then continue squeezing the trigger until the gun fires.

A Glock trigger can feel "spongy" until you get used to it, and it can cause you to not shoot well if you don't learn the trigger.

If you can't see the sights for some reason, then there's an issue there, but if you can see them, then it's not the sights.

Daryl

Tags
glock , glock 22 , optics , semi auto , sights