The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 9, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1
OWad

Shotgun steel and paper match- Tips anyone?

I was thinking of taking the Thunderstick out this weekend to a match. I took a look at the stage diagrams and could not figure out how a 9+1 pump can best make it through a 19 rnd course. Do you guys suggest I reload while moving between shooting boxes on the stage...I would imaging the match will be a Loooooong one. Any advice/ tips/ resources would be helpful.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:58 PM   #2
RickB

Use low-recoil, "tactical" slugs on paper. If you have shots on steel at ranges longer than fifteen yards, be prepared for cylinder choke to not do the job if you are shooting 7s-8s.
Any time you are not shooting, you should be reloading. Have your reloading plan done in advance, if possible.
What really sucks, is getting to the end of the stage, and missing a plate or popper with your last shot, loading one, then missing again; try to never have just the minimum number of rounds in the gun that are required for an array or stage; keep loading as long as you are moving.
I've not invested much in long-gun competition gear, and I reload from a belt, with the shells base-up. I turn the gun upside down, at waist level, so the shells have to only travel six inches from the belt to the gun. A lot of folks put the gun up on their shoulder to reload, with the port right at their face, but that works only if you can load three or four rounds with each trip to the belt.
Have fun.
Old November 9, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
OWad

Thanks for the tips

Just what I needed...I'll practice over the few next days or so...Thanks again!
Old November 10, 2005, 12:36 AM   #4
ampleworks

The only real reason to load the perfect number of shots is say you have a texas star and then 5 steel/clay birds then 5 paper, load your 9+1, shoot it dry, chuck in the slugs and you're good to go. Just don't shoot as fast, but you can always go just a tad bit slower and get your hits or fly by them and have to load an extra round.

I learned the hard way this past match, I hadn't ever shot slugs thru my buddy's Benelli M1, so I was in for quite a suprise. I'll be getting some of those low recoil ones for next time!