The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
ASL1223

EIG -BRESCIA -Italy Overunder

I just was given a shotgun that I would like to find out more about. On the barrel is shows EIG - BRESCIA - Italy.

When I take it apart I have several markings and a serial # 24447 and G. Bignotti &. On the underside of the barrel I have XIX with PSF Finito and circles with stars above both. It also has an M and what looks like a crown over an arrow with the letters G.B.F. It has some really elaborate scroll work as well.
Old February 27, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
zippy13

The encircled star above PSF is the Italian government proof mark for smokeless powder and the one with Finito is the interim black powder proof mark (dates way back). These are specific to the Gardone & Brescia proof house. The XIX may indicate 1963 as the year of proof.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
ASL1223

Any idea of what this would be worth? I asked at a shop today and they said they would put an $700 price tag on it.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
zippy13

Sorry, I don't have a clue on the value -- all sorts of firearms come out of Brescia. Perhaps you could post some pictures.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Scorch

A few additions to zippy13's excellent post:

* G Bignotti is probably the firm that made the barrels, apparently EIG does not make their own barrels.

* PSF is the smokeless proof mark from test firing, FINITO (means "finished") is applied when the proofing is done to the complete gun, meaning the barrels are not proofed prior to assembly.

* The name EIG has been used by several firearms manufacturers in different countries, generally adding to the confusion about these firearms.

* Further confusion comes from the fact that many firearms companies in Italy, including the Val Gardone and Brescia areas, assemble firearms from parts provided by specialty shops (barrelmakers, stock makers, lock makers, etc), or have the firearms assembled by such shops and just package them and ship them under their own name. This does not detract from the quality of those firearms, but it does make people a little leary of them due to the prospect of trying to find parts in case they are needed.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Asphalt Guy

I have a 12 gauge just like it!

Is this it?
Old January 16, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
mach1.3

I have an EIG replica 1851 Navy Colt .36cal. blackpowder revolver. I don't know if this is the same EIG of your shotgun but maybe. I thought they imported firearms into the states and were HQ'd in Florida somewhere but are now defunct?
Old January 16, 2013, 05:33 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Pictures are worth thousands of words - post some of the gun and then the barrel flats and water table
Old January 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
zippy13

FYI: the OP hasn't been active since March 2009, I'm guessing we'll see no pics.