The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
chaz12

Marlin 336 lever action ejection problem

A question for anyone who might be familiar with the Marlin 336.

Mine has a problem with intermittent jamming during extraction. The frequency varies, but last time I tried it out, it jammed twice during 20 rounds. During the jam, the lever is completely stuck and will not budge. Then, after some length of time (no more than 30 seconds) the jam disappears and the spent case ejects normally. There are no unusual dents, scratches, cracks, or anything else on the ejected case.

I took the action apart today and found out it is simpler than I thought it would be. I don't see any unusual wear or broken parts or anything else. In fact, I don't see anything that could even cause the lever to bind up like this during extraction.

Just looking for any ideas of things to look at.

I know I can send it back to Marlin, but like any intermittent mechanical problem, I don't think there is any guarantee that it would actually get fixed. I've posted on the Marlin owners board, but no one there had any ideas.

Thanks

Chaz
Old November 1, 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Usually this kind of sticking is caused by axles allowing too much play so that rotational-transverse redirection doesn't happen. E. g. the lever is supposed to move the hammer back into a rotating motion. If the hammer axle is small or the hole is elongated, the hammer might move back first and than not have the clearance to rotate. You let go of the lever, the hammer moves back into its regular position, and when you now try again (slowly of course, it's not like you're trying to get a fast second shot off) it moves as intended. And this kind of stuff can happen at any of the many transfer points that are typically involved in a lever action.
I'd check all parts for fit on the axle, and look if either any holes look elongated or any of the axles are slightly bend from trying to clear a jam with a bit too much force.
Old November 9, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
bigbird34

Marlin 336

If your relaoding,your brass may be to long and hanging in the chamber until it cools off ! My 2 cents ,Jim
Old November 9, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Newton24b

what is age of your 336?

first step to do is to remove bolt, ejector, and lever from weapon.
clean reciever out as best you can, use camp dry silicone, be very liberal as it wont hurt. when its clean you clean the bolt and ejector big time.

when everything has drip dried, apply a heavy coat of camp dry inside the reciever and upon the bolt and ejector. reassemble.
work action a few times.
cycle loaded ammo through a few times until you have extraction issue from that.

carefully inspect the ejector groove channel and locator pin hole in reciever, and ejector groove in the bolt. that is most likely the issue.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:50 PM   #5
gso

marlin 336 ejection problems

My first thought is magazine spring tension.
I have run into this problem on older marlins before. When the spring gets tired, either from age, or from being kept under tension for long periods, you can get lever lockup on either the open or close cycle when a round fails to feed/extract. Obviously, check all your components for unusual wear or damage, but if all looks good, then purchase a new mag spring and see what happens. Its a relatively inexpensive quick fix check compared to sending the rifle off to a gunsmith or Marlin.
Let me know how you go.