The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
dsmaruska

870 vs. 870 LE Synthetic Stock, 12 ga.

Is the LE 870 synthetic stock factory filled with polyurethane foam? Recently I purchased a stock and when it arrived was surprised to see it foam filled. The foam deadens sound and gives the stock a nice heavy feel. The receiver end has a 1/4" circle marked Z12345 and a symbol I cannot make out. I am considering adding foam to my other 870s, but will not do it to the 11-87. The foam could flake off and mess up the 11-87 recoil mechanism.
PS: I have searched this site and the Remington site ... no luck finding an answer. Next stop is Remington support.
Thanks, Dave
Old February 10, 2006, 04:21 AM   #2
webbee

I haven't tried this, but couldn't you use a piece of plastic/rubber pipe/cup to isolate the mechanism and then fill the cavity with foam? I have seen both schedule 40 and rubber heater hose used to keep a passage open to the stock hold-on bolt in user done foamed stocks. If you do it yourself make sure you use the soft form of the foam. I think it's possible to damage the stock with the rigid type of caned foam.