The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 1, 2016, 11:30 PM   #51
shootniron

Been retired 32 days...carry just like I did when working...all of the time. And, now, I almost always have my truck gun with me, also.
Old June 3, 2016, 01:02 PM   #52
rider1046

I'm 69 years old, mostly retired, live in a rural area with no next door neighbors and carry a 9mm Shield everywhere I go except when going to the hospital. I carry at home also, right up until bedtime. Other places that don't allow or restrict access to my sidearm, I avoid. I've never had to resort to showing my weapon but I am a good sized former Marine, still in good physical condition, and have an attitude that says I won't be trifled with. I am also careful about where I go and when as well as who I associate with.

Only you can answer whether or not you should carry. Are you willing to put in the time training to stay proficient in the use of your weapon of choice? Do you have the self-control to back away from an altercation if at all possible and only resort to using your weapon when you no longer have a choice? Are you willing to kill someone else to protect you and yours? All questions you have to ask.

What to carry? Pick the largest caliber you are comfortable with that comes in a handgun you are comfortable carrying and proficient shooting. Then at night while you are watching TV, practice taking it apart and reassembling it until you can do it without thinking. With it unloaded, practice drawing it from wherever you carry it from sitting position, standing, kneeling, down on the floor, whatever you can think of, until you know you will be able to get to it no matter what. Again, with it unloaded, practice sighting in on objects on the wall, on the tv, following your cat or dog as they move across the room, practice jumping your sights from one to the other. Work on your grip until it is automatic, you don't even have to think about it.

Now, you decide. Should you carry and what should you carry. Good luck!
Old June 3, 2016, 10:41 PM   #53
Moonglum

There's another thread going on that is similar to this one so I guess I'll say here what I said there.

Since I can't predict when or where I'm better off just carrying every day. I will add that with the number of small, easily concealed handguns on the market there's really not a reason not to carry something.

I'm not retired, I carry a M&P40FS at work and an M&P9FS off the clock but since I spend the majority of my off the clock time at home I predominately carry an M&P9C because it's small enough to carry conveniently and I can just slip it in my hoodie pocket when I go out to walk the dog.
Old June 3, 2016, 11:09 PM   #54
wildcat1950

I'm 66 and 7 months retired. I carry either a Taurus Gen 2 IWB in 9mm or a S&W Bodyguard .380 in my front pocket, depending on what works best with the clothes I'm wearing that day.
Old June 5, 2016, 12:44 PM   #55
FireForged

should you carry every day? That is a question only you can answer.
Old June 6, 2016, 08:59 PM   #56
lefteye

I retired 6 years ago. I'm a few months short of 70. My S&W 629 8 3/8" is just too big so I now pocket carry my LCP.

Last edited by lefteye; June 6, 2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old June 6, 2016, 10:39 PM   #57
michael t

I am 70 this month retired at 57 with health problems. When Pants go on pistol goes in holster . I setting here with a old LTW Colt commander in 9mm on hip. I live in country . We have break ins out here and even a home invasion some times . meth ,heroin , getting bad Need money to get fix .
I will help their addiction with a 9 or 45 needle at my house.
Old June 7, 2016, 07:17 AM   #58
Don P

Packed it in this past May 5.
Quote:
I carry every day because it would be a shame to need a gun and not have it after all the time and money I've put in becoming proficient, learning the laws of self-defense, acquiring permits and good quality equipment
I concur, makes sense to me. I look almost my age and the years have taken their toll on the body and if I move any slower at times the undertaker will show up so, if its not on me in a holster its at hands reach when at home.
When ever possible I have been carrying since receiving my CCW in '93
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.