The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 17, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Waterengineer

Where can I go to shoot a Gatling gun?

Last night on Mythbusters they played their top 25 busted myths.

One of them was to use a Gatling Gun to cut down a tree.

That gun they were using is cool. The hulls falling out of that thing was incredible.

How many shells a minute does that gun shoot?

More inportantly, I have a new item on my bucket list.

Where can I go and shoot a Gatling Gun? I don't want to cut down the tree I just want to shoot the gun.

Here is the Mythbusters episode. Start watching at about 6:45

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...5-moments.html

Last edited by Waterengineer; June 17, 2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling, of course
Old June 17, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
the rifleer

You could probably talk to civil war reinactment groups, if your lucky someone local might have one. Im sure for a small price and a large in conveinience you could shoot one, errrrr, or is that a large price and small inconveinence?

I'm not even sure if they are considered full auto or not. They are around, but obviously not many people have them and to shoot one would be a real treat, but i wouldnt get your hopes too high because im sure finding one is going to be tough and getting the owner to let you shoot it would be even tougher...

And how fast they shoot is directly related to how fast you turn the crank it.
Old June 17, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3
oneounceload

There are various clubs that hold shoots and some folks bring full auto guns to shoot (some charge). Hernando Sportsmen has several machine gun shoots yearly - it's a little drive from your PB locale, but they have a web site you might check out - there might be a similar club in South FL
Old June 17, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
kraigwy

Don Manning, Shooter's Choice, Yakima WA, built a full scale Galting Gun in 45-70 and black powder.

He use to run the Washington NG Marksmanship unit and put on a 1000 yard, HP Regional Match every 4th of July weekend.

He always started the match firing the galting gun at the 1000 yard targets.

It was quite impressive. He would let anyone shoot it if you furnished the ammo. It was fun but it does eat up ammo though.

Anyway check with the Washington State Pistol and Rifle Assn and see if they still have that match.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 17, 2010, 06:17 PM   #5
davlandrum

Well, there are gatling guns, then there are GATLING guns. I think the Mythbusters actually were firing a mini-gun, which is driven by an electric motor. rate of fire IIRC is about 6,000/minute.

I found this link http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm

As to where you would find one of these bad boys to rip through that 6,000 rounds, I have no idea.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 17, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
I'm not even sure if they are considered full auto or not.
Quote:
I think the Mythbusters actually were firing a mini-gun, which is driven by an electric motor.
The BATFE has ruled that a hand cranked Gatling gun is not an NFA item, but add a motor and it is.
Old June 17, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Waterengineer

I don't care what the mythbusters gun is - I just want to shoot it.

Sure I will pay that's not the problem.

One OZ: link please.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
oneounceload

W.E. - here ya go -

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/

machine gun shoots, cannon shoots, my understanding is someone once brought a halftrack with a quad-50, but I couldn't verify that
Old June 17, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Sport45

It's been a few years since I visited, but Collector's Firearms in Houston used to have a Gatling gun on the floor. I didn't look at the price tag.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Jim Watson

There was a guy who brought a Gatling gun to a Cowboy shoot near here a couple of years ago. Crank out a hopper of chargers* for a reasonable fee.

*It was a repro of an early model, loaded with steel chargers containing a Minie ball and powder with a nipple for a regular percussion cap. Catch the chargers in a bucket for cleaning and reloading. Not only not a machine gun, not even a firearm, treated like a muzzleloader.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Waterengineer

One OZ:

I'm doin' it! Hernando, July 4th, yep, I'm doin' it!

Thanks for the link!
Old June 17, 2010, 09:24 PM   #12
amprecon

Go to the biannual Knob Creek Machine shoot in West Point, KY, they shoot lots of gatling guns every April and October. Here's the link: http://www.knobcreekrange.com/
Old June 17, 2010, 09:29 PM   #13
casper_au

Miniguns are great fun to shoot.. A long time ago I was an armorer in the air force and one of the best days out was called a 'yippie shoot' where we'd take the serviced weapons from the armory and go 'test' them! All the gunnies would take the day off and have a bbq at the range and just blast thousands of rounds at old car wrecks, soda cans and all other sorts of improvised targets. We'd even blow up a few with some IED's for exercises and demo's for the police and federal agencies.

The minigun has a rate of fire selector where as I recall, you can select 4000-6000 rounds per minute. It has a devilishly simple operating mechanism using a helical geared carrier with a bolt for each barrel (all eight of them). When you fire it, it sounds like a long, loud, ripping sound. Same for the 20mm vulcan canon used in the hornets (only a LOT louder).
Old June 17, 2010, 09:43 PM   #14
troy_mclure

got to light off a minigun from a Chinook helo.

it was 160th SOAR's gun/bird.

the cool part was it used ir tracers, couldn't see the tracer without nod's(still saw all the sparks from impact tho).

got a few second burst(around 1k rounds).

it was awesome!

also went to knob creek once, great time, but bring your own ear plugs as they were going $3 a pair.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old June 17, 2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Knob Creek Gun Range, West Point Ky. Just south of Louisville. They hold the Nations largest Machine Gun Shoot in April and October. Don't know if you mean a real hand cranked Gatling Gun, or a Minigun. They usually have both on the line and can be fired. Kind of pricey on the Mini, don't know about the Gatling Gun. Just to go there and see the shoot along with the Military gun show is well worth the trip.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 18, 2010, 12:19 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The minigun has a rate of fire selector where as I recall, you can select 4000-6000 rounds per minute. It has a devilishly simple operating mechanism using a helical geared carrier with a bolt for each barrel (all eight of them). When you fire it, it sounds like a long, loud, ripping sound. Same for the 20mm vulcan canon used in the hornets (only a LOT louder).
In the U.S., you'll see a lot of references to the following rates of fire:
4,000/8,000
3,000/6,000
3,000/4,000
2,500/5,000

In reality, the most common rate of fire is 3,000 rounds per minute. Almost every minigun in the U.S. inventory has been upgraded to DillonAero specifications. That includes a fixed rate of fire, for reliability.

However, there are some exceptions. The USAF operates GE M134s on their Special Operations rotary wing aircraft (helicopters and the Osprey), but they've been given special upgrade packages. They retain their rate of fire selector for 2,000/4,000 rpm - only because of the reliability given by the Dillon parts. (Originally rated at 4,000/8,000 - the Air Force quickly learned that GE was lying through their teeth.)

100% GE guns usually can't make it through a single magazine without a major stoppage. While I was in, I saw one gunner lose an eye, two gunners get their faces ripped open, a gunner get an extractor shot through his shoulder, several severe hand wounds, and nightly "stacks". (A "stack" being a giant compressed glob of cartridges that were all fed into the same, already-loaded chamber, because a bolt failed or extractor broke. {Usually 6-8 cartridges in the space that one should occupy}) These "stacks" were the reason for the explosions that injured all of the gunners.

Dillon parts made the problems go away. Since our guys were already well versed in the idiosyncrasies of the miniguns, and keeping them running well... they got to keep their R.o.F. selector, rather than getting a fixed 3,000 rpm.
Old June 18, 2010, 01:56 AM   #17
RGR3/75

if you are from colorado...

then check out "dragonman's". he's got one mounted to a dune buggy you can shoot.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:38 AM   #18
SVO

In the Mythbuster episode, they referred to it as a Dillon minigun. I assumed that it was owned by Mike Dillon. Good while back, one of the gun magazines had an article about him & his minigun shooting up targets in the Arizona desert.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:17 AM   #19
aarondhgraham

You can build a reasonable facsimile,,,

All you need is a pair of Ruger 10-22 rifles, this kit from Cabela's, and an afternoon,,,
You too can own your very own hand-crank pseudo gatling gun.

One of the members at my range built one of these puppies,,,
I've never cranked it myself but I have watched him,,,
It really can go through some ammo.

Click Here Please,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 20, 2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
All you need is a pair of Ruger 10-22 rifles, this kit from Cabela's,
Didn't know Cabela's sold them. A friend bought one a few years back. Great fun!!. I even saw a similar setup at Knob Creek a couple years ago for 2 SKS's! I think it was about twice the price or more though.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 20, 2010, 02:43 PM   #21
LanceOregon

The Thompson Submachine gun is loads of fun to shoot full auto, and much easier to find than a Gatling Gun.

Go find a Thompson and have some fun!