The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 1999, 05:45 PM   #1
Quantrill

I presently load Lyman #35891 and #358495 148 gr wadcutters for revolvers. Finally got a model 52 and it won't feed those bullets because they protrude about .25 out of the case [not a problem with revolvers]. My question is - Has anyone had any experience with loading the bullets backwards? Is there any effect on accuracy, leading, pressure etc. My target load is a mild 2.6gr-700x.
Thanks in advance,
Quantrill
Old May 15, 1999, 03:32 AM   #2
JEG

Don't know those specific bullets, but I have loaded HBWC backwards in .38sp and at 25 yards there was no difference in accuracy.

I found my Model 52 would NOT feed anything but flush wadcutters.
Old May 16, 1999, 12:28 PM   #3
Paul B.

Quantril. My suggestion is try it. Seat the bullet so it is flush with the case neck.
The protrusion on the nose(now the base) may, or may not affect your accuracy. The simple solution is buy another mold for a wadcutter with a perfectly flat nose. RCBS has a mold, #38-148-WC. The problem here, is they show two molds with the same number in the RCBS cast bullet handbook, one flat at both ends, and the other just like your 358495.
I believe that the RCBS mold will solve your problem, if reversing your current molds does not work. Hope this helps.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!