The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
AdrianVall

Took apart my 22/45 Mark III finally..

Phew! What a task that was.. I watched a couple videos on youtube on how to do it. Boy, do those people make it seem a LOT easier then it looks.

This thing was UNBELIEVABLY difficult to take apart. I think that it was mostly because it is new. I struggled a bit getting the pin out, but that finally came out. I spent FOREVER getting the slide off the frame. That thing was stuck on there REALLY good. It took forever, but I finally got it off, then back together.

I've never taken a gun apart before, so that was an awesome experience, and to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also took apart my Ruger SR22, which was a breeeeeze compared to the 22/45.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you guys. I'm seriously becoming addicted to this forum, and get the feeling I'll be around here for a while.

Cheers,
Adrian
Old October 10, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
bitttorrrent

Yeah, my experience was the same.
Had to go to the store and get a rubber mallet to get the frame off. Mine was nib but a few years old.

Great gun though and shoots better than I can.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
NVBigEd

They do get easier over time... But it's a long time...
Old October 10, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
AdrianVall

Yeah, I'd imagine a loooooong time. But of course, my dumb*** didn't have the common sense to clean it while I had it apart..

Oh well.. it'll give me an excuse to take it apart again when it needs a good cleaning. I've got about 300 rounds through it so far.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
drail

Be VERY sure when reassembling that the pin in the bolt that limits firing pin forward travel is in place (they fall out on half of these guns). If you fire it without that little stop pin in place the firing pin will damage your chamber. A great many folks have made this mistake. A wood hammer handle makes a good tool to drive the reciever off of the frame. It will loosen up and get easier after a few dozen times.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:52 AM   #6
m_liebst

You don't need to take the frame off to clean your pistol. You can do all the cleaning with just the bolt out.

The only times I've ever needed to take the frame off the barrel is after 4-5k of rounds, to clean fouling from deep with in the mag/ tigger assembly area. I've only fully dissasembled my 22/45 3 times in the 12k I have through.
Like I said, there really is no need to fully take it apart...

Hey I know it was a B%*ch to fully take apart the the reciever from the handle frame the first time, but it gets easier as the connecting lips get worn a bit

Quote:
Be VERY sure when reassembling that the pin in the bolt that limits firing pin forward travel is in place (they fall out on half of these guns).
The pin stays in fine. Never had a problem or heard of a problem with the the bolt pin falling out. Infact, this is the first I've ever heard.

Last edited by m_liebst; October 11, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Sulaco2

I have my dad's MK I...you are a braver man then I sir!!
Old October 11, 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Skadoosh

Getting it back together again can be frustrating too...
Old October 11, 2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Metal god

I'm not sure what you mean by took your gun apart ? Did you take it completely apart ? Did you take the trigger group out or did you just ( field strip it ) break it down so you can get the bolt out and take the barrel off the frame .

And for future reference take a look at this , you will thank me later http://www.guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

Check out the very first one . The second I got home with my new 22/45 I took it apart ( field strip ). I screwed something up putting it back together . It would not cock or fire and I could not take it apart again cus that mainsping housing would not swing open . So there I was banging the muzzle of my brand new gun on a block of wood . All I can say is it worked .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 11, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
mquail

I got one that's been taken apart a couple of times. What a headache!!! Did a trigger job, put on a red dot sight and put a grip sleeve on to make it fit my hand better. It shoots good at 100 yds but no one wants to fool with the innards on it. I figure a couple a thousand more rounds should do until it's once again got us thinking about dissection.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Joe_Pike

I loved it when I read that I needed a rubber mallet to disassemble my 22/45.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:49 PM   #12
RickB

In another thread, I posted that I'd sold my Mk. III, due to the difficulty in getting it back together! Some helpful person said, "Don't pay attention to him!" Why do you think you get 300,000 hits when you google "ruger .22 difficult to reassemble"!
Old October 11, 2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Mystro

I have had, and do have a lot of different guns and have been competivly shooting since 1993. My mk2 is the most miserably gun to disassemble of all of them. It's not just you, it's a horrible design to take down. I don't shoot it much cause of it.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
In another thread, I posted that I'd sold my Mk. III, due to the difficulty in getting it back together!
Me too. The sad part is, now that I've had more experience (the ruger was my first firearm), I miss the thing even less--the trigger was crap, but I was too much a newbie to even notice that problem.

Edit: BTW, I just purchased a single ten, and the field stripping on that is way worse (and probably not even needed). I suspect I won't field strip it ever again, unless I want to use some shims on the trigger and hammer.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:32 PM   #15
RickB

Quote:
The sad part is, now that I've had more experience (the ruger was my first firearm), I miss the thing even less--the trigger was crap, but I was too much a newbie to even notice that problem.
You da man!
Old October 12, 2012, 10:07 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
In another thread, I posted that I'd sold my Mk. III, due to the difficulty in getting it back together! Some helpful person said, "Don't pay attention to him!" Why do you think you get 300,000 hits when you google "ruger .22 difficult to reassemble"!
I made a somewhat similar post awhile back and I was informed in response that I am clearly lacking in manual dexterity and of sub-standard mental capacity.

That must explain why there's an aftermarket product intended specifically to make it possible to reassemble the Rugers.

I'll be selling my 22/45, too, as soon as my friend's wife graduates to some centerfire caliber.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; October 12, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 12, 2012, 11:17 AM   #17
RickB

I had a manual, and a half-dozen websites, and dozen youtube videos to help me out, and I still needed a hammer!
Old October 12, 2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Metal god

Why all the hate for the 22/45 ? I like mine . Stainless , acurate , reliable $300 whats not to like ? If there is something else out there that is
Quote:
Stainless , acurate , reliable $300
I'll buy it in a heart beat .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 12, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVall View Post
Phew! What a task that was.. I watched a couple videos on youtube on how to do it. Boy, do those people make it seem a LOT easier then it looks.

This thing was UNBELIEVABLY difficult to take apart. I think that it was mostly because it is new. I struggled a bit getting the pin out, but that finally came out. I spent FOREVER getting the slide off the frame. That thing was stuck on there REALLY good. It took forever, but I finally got it off, then back together.

I've never taken a gun apart before, so that was an awesome experience, and to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also took apart my Ruger SR22, which was a breeeeeze compared to the 22/45.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you guys. I'm seriously becoming addicted to this forum, and get the feeling I'll be around here for a while.

Cheers,
Adrian
Think of it like field stripping an AR-15. Get to that firing pin. Similar in my opinion. I have no problems field stripping a Mark II. I use a rubber mallet to get the barrel off. I can pry the release bar off with a finger nail, now. With more and more cleaning, you get used to it.

Accuracy and reliability have been unparalleled for me. I ended up getting the Clark Trigger and it's down to about 2.8 lbs. I use an Ultradot Matchdot. It's my favorite little plinker. Once you have done it a few times, it gets much easier. One of the worst things to do is do the reassembly out of sequence. Then you're screwed.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Pilot

It takes me about five miniutes to take apart and re-assemble my MK II, and that's taking my time and being careful. If I can do it, anyone can. Yes, the MK III adds steps due to the mag disconnect, but still.......
Old October 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #21
CharlieDeltaJuliet

It is different, that is for sure. I never had a problem disassembling or reassembling the MkII's. I did however buy a steal in one that a guy took apart and could not reassemble it. I guess the only reason I never had an issue was because the MkII was one of my first handguns, and my father walked me through the process at a younger age. It just kind of stuck.. But I can see how it can be frustrating, I have had to help 3-4 friends put theirs back together.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 12, 2012, 03:16 PM   #22
serf 'rett

Reminds me of about a year ago when I was thinking of buying one. As I was handling the pistol, the salesman was extolling on the many virtues of the pistol until I asked him how to break it down for cleaning.

"I don't." he said.

Pistol went back in the case. I guess I'd gotten spoiled by the two screws to drop the barrel and slide assemby on my Browning Buckmark.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #23
Metal god

Yea that's just the thing no tools are required to break the 22/45 down , none . The only thing that I can think is the issue is the steps and order in which the steps must be done . Once you get that down your good to go .

I kinda equate it to someone saying they don't want a 1911 cus there so hard to field strip and put back together . Well yes they are compared to a glock or XD but in the hole grand sceem of things it's really not that bad just a couple more steps . By doing so there missing out on a very good gun .I don't know maybe all the 22/45s are a little different and some are harder the work with then others .

I have no problems with mine .

Old October 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #24
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
I guess I'd gotten spoiled by the two screws to drop the barrel and slide assemby on my Browning Buckmark.
You should get yourself a S&W m41. A 3 year old could take it apart. However, I will say that spending a little more to get a buckmark over a ruger is a smart move, just for the trigger if not for the ease of disassembly.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:46 PM   #25
serf 'rett

Quote:
Yea that's just the thing no tools are required to break the 22/45 down , none .
Too bad the sales guy didn't know how to disassemble the pistol. I was in a buying mood. He said he had shot thousands of rounds through his Ruger 22/45 but had only cleaned the barrel. He must be using that high price .22 ammo because the bulk pack stuff I shoot is nasty.

My "easy to disassemble" award goes to the Springfield XDm line. Flip the lever and remove slide/barrel assembly. Field strip in five seconds.

I think I'll take a gander at the videos so I can tell the sales clerk where to get a little help.