The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #26
Father Time

Quote:
It's just the same as always, if a mid to low shelf AR blows up, it's a cheap piece of garbage. If a Colt blows up it's 210% undeniably ammo related without question
And it most likely is the ammo. Ammo companies make mistakes too...
99% of the time KB's are ammo related.

Quote:
I no longer (nor will I again in the future) have a Colt AR in my safe (much better out there for the money like BCM)
What standards does BCM build to that Colt dosen't?

Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT etc.. your getting quality buy them with confidence.
Old October 7, 2012, 10:45 AM   #27
BerdanSS

Oldest doesn't mean best. I don't understand the Colt attitude.

OP wanted opinions and options. If you want all the snobbery and hype with a basic rifle that does indeed work...buy the colt. If it were me I would go with the LMT 16" patrol or RUC 16 for a little more...or the BCM 16" mid for the same/less.

I don't really do the Tacticool thing. Yes some add-ons are very useful and can be necessary depending on the role for the weapon. Don't really see the point in a heavy(er) metal quad-rail with several feet of combined mounting space to mount a flashlight to a range toy. FF with mounting space for a bipod and maybe a NV optic to a precision/hunting rifle...okay. None of mine have extra feet of rails to hold rail covers. But a LOT of people do. If I was going to do that, I wouldn't spend between 1K and $1200 on a rifle with basic "plinker" options with one of the most disliked and changed stocks. Once you change those thing (and most will) you have a $1400-$1600 rifle that is no better than any other one that you could of just got in the first place.

Last edited by BerdanSS; October 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #28
Chris_B

Quote:
That being said, I'm not colt bashing. Colts are not bad guns, but they arent the holy grail AR to end all that all others are judged by. They do go bang....look ugly as hell doing it
but you're not bashing, remember

Respectfully, I believe that Colt is the measure of other AR 15 types. They are a standard. Some are better, some are worse. That's what the standard provides you with- a yardstick for measurement. I think you're mis-interpreting that as meaning that a standard is the "best". Think about it- if standard was the best, nothing would be above-standard. Just saying
Old October 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #29
BerdanSS

No bashing...truth I've seen some pretty dang fugly colts lately. But like I also said they aint the miss america of the gun world, they be a work'n gun

The bren ten is one mugly uther...but they work

I'll also rephrase that other comment of mine about not having colts in my safe anymore (just talking ARs here and not including the pre ban I have)

I'll put it simple: why pay top price for "Meh" AR when you can pay good price for "Wow" AR

Also pertaining to the AR15 in simple terms: one do good, two do twice as good or in my case six

Last edited by BerdanSS; October 8, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:28 PM   #30
RevolverOcelot

So Colt makes some bad quality rifles deliberately?

Are Colts more prone to failure than others? I really want to get a top of the line AR.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:02 AM   #31
madcratebuilder

Quote:
So Colt makes some bad quality rifles deliberately?
That statement well raise a litigation lawyer from the dead.

Quote:
Are Colts more prone to failure than others? I really want to get a top of the line AR.
No, anyone that claims they are is just a Colt basher.

You can find AR's with a nicer finish than Colt's. You can also find AR's with more options available.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:56 AM   #32
Tangentabacus

I will note: I have a lot of shooting buddies and a lot of us have Colts. Those of us who have ARs mine is the only one that A) hasn't had any failures B) very accurate C) VERY reliable and only jams if I use crappy ammo C) SAYS COLT on the side.

Buy a Colt, and buy the AR by which all are measured.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #33
Crow Hunter

I have been an AR owner since 1998 time frame.

I owned in order:

- Colt Match HBAR
- Armalite M15A2 (with the muzzle brake)
- Bushmaster (A2 Stock, Carbine upper)
- Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine 2 of them (I had to go through 3 different rifles to get 2 of these that worked)
- Colt 6920 (4 of them)
- Colt 6724

The Colts are the ONLY ones that I never have had a malfunction with or had to send back to the factory (Bushmasters) for some type of issue. I was almost ready to swear off AR-15 type weapons forever until I got my 1st pair of Colt 6920s.

That being said, if you are looking for a rifle that is more than just a basic combat rifle, you need to look for a different brand/options. BCM and DD have some nice rifles that meet the minimum requirements for a combat rifle but have functionality and accuracy enhancements.

If you are wanting a purely target rifle, a DPMS/Bushmaster/RRA/etc. will work great and won't set you back as much cash for the same or better accuracy performance, but may or may not be as durable under severe firing schedules.

Good luck.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Strafer Gott

Colt supplies the rifle. The snobbery and hype is wrought and brought by others. Let's not confuse the issue. Colt says milspec. The other bs is all internet, and always has been.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:35 AM   #35
darkgael

Ugly?

Quote:
I've seen some pretty dang fugly colts lately
If the rifles were fugly, it isn't because of what Colt did to the gun.
But....perhaps I misunderstand. Since basic ARs all kinda look the same, what was it that made the guns fugly?
When you have a moment.
Pete