The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2007, 07:32 AM   #1
PeteQuad

Lever Prime System?

Last night I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press from kempf:
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html
I just realized I left out the "Upgrade to Lever Prime System for Large & Small Primers" for $8. Can anyone explain what this is and should I call them and add it to the order? If I don't get the upgrade, is there an some extra annoyance I will have to deal with?

BTW I'm new to reloading - this is my first press.
Old April 27, 2007, 08:00 AM   #2
nass

Kempf should have set you up correctly for the caliber you ordered. If you post what caliber your loading, and what color the primer trigger is, we'll tell you if your set up OK.

Different calibers require different size primers (i.e. 45 is large primer, 9mm is small primer). When you want to start reloading another caliber, get the dieset and turret and priming system that you don't have if you need it.

ON EDIT: If you call them right now, you may be able to have them throw it in. I see you just ordered it...
Old April 27, 2007, 08:11 AM   #3
PeteQuad

I ordered the kit with a turret for .44 and I also ordered another turret complete with .38 dies (in the same order).
Old April 27, 2007, 09:09 AM   #4
PeteQuad

I called and they said because I will have 2 primer sizes I should get the upgrade, so they added it to the order for another $8.

I'm looking forward to this. Originally I wanted to do this to save money but now I'm just having fun figuring it all out. I also bought the Lyman, Hodgson and Hornady Manuals along with the ABC book. Lots to read!
Old April 27, 2007, 09:49 AM   #5
veeref

The 'upgrade' is just the primer feeder for both large and small sizes primers. The white one for large primers (I think for .45 and larger - I'm just guessing), and the black one is for small primers. If you call them back, they should hook you up with the other for $8. Dave was very nice when I ordered it on the phone from him - he recommended I order both. I upgraded to the 'Pro' auto-disk powder measure, and I'm glad I did.

You'll love your setup - like anything it will take about an hour to get everything setup exactly how you like it, but once its done, it works pretty well. I've had mine for just a couple of weeks now and I love it.

Regards,

~V
Old April 27, 2007, 10:00 AM   #6
CrustyFN

Yes you want the small and large. It will also include the extra arm with the primer cup. veeref you are correct. The white is for large and the black for small primers. Just make sure you use the correct size cup with the primer size you are using.
Rusty