The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 27, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Orion6

Anyone else like their Remington 783?

I've had mine now since Spring/Summer, and I really think Remington has put out a great budget rifle.

I did a brief review of mine earlier in the year. Just wondering if anyone else has picked one up and what your thoughts/results have been.
Old October 27, 2014, 06:20 PM   #2
HKFan9

While I dont own one, I was invited to go shoot them before release with Remington, while I still stand by my statement that they pretty much copied a Savage... I really liked the gun for a budget rifle. The Remington Reps got a little upset when I was hopeful that the 783 would replace the 770 and they informed me they are keeping and redesigning the 770.

However the bolt on it is super smooth, clean trigger, decent poly stock, not as flimsy as other econo rifles, and the price is right in line with Ruger American rifles, Savage Axis ect.

I think they hit the nail on the head for what they wanted.. an economy priced decent little game rifle. Personally I would still opt for a 700 ADL for around the same money if you shop around, but I think the 783 is a good all around rifle for the price tag.
Old October 27, 2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Orion6

Quote:
While I dont own one, I was invited to go shoot them before release with Remington, while I still stand by my statement that they pretty much copied a Savage... I really liked the gun for a budget rifle. The Remington Reps got a little upset when I was hopeful that the 783 would replace the 770 and they informed me they are keeping and redesigning the 770.

However the bolt on it is super smooth, clean trigger, decent poly stock, not as flimsy as other econo rifles, and the price is right in line with Ruger American rifles, Savage Axis ect.

I think they hit the nail on the head for what they wanted.. an economy priced decent little game rifle. Personally I would still opt for a 700 ADL for around the same money if you shop around, but I think the 783 is a good all around rifle for the price tag.
I agree - it's basically all the same features as everything else for the most part, but it's well made (almost to the point of overbuilt) and definitely competitive in the budget class. I'm not a fan of the 770 either, but I think more people out there need convincing that the 783 is NOT anything like the 770. I am hoping they make aftermarket barrels, bolts, etc. for the 783 in the future. I was intrigued as soon as I saw the announcement of the 783 and knew I'd eventually have one. I ALMOST bought a Ruger American, but it just didn't set my heart aflutter. Plus, magnum chamberings are available in the 783 whereas other budget guns (XL7, American, Axis, etc.) don't offer magnums.

I'd like to hear some more experiences. I'm definitely happy with mine and it has been everything Remington said it would be. It's not pretty, but it's a good rifle for me so far.

Old October 28, 2014, 02:32 AM   #4
dakota.potts

Interesting. I work at a big retailer where we sell guns and people often ask me what the difference is between the 770 and the 783 and I don't typically have much I'm able to tell them about the differences. In what ways would you say they are completely different rifles?
Old October 28, 2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Orion6

Quote:
Interesting. I work at a big retailer where we sell guns and people often ask me what the difference is between the 770 and the 783 and I don't typically have much I'm able to tell them about the differences. In what ways would you say they are completely different rifles?
783 has a barrel nut system like a Savage and Marlin XL7. 770 has a press-fit barrel. 783 can change barrels like a Savage, if and when barrels become available.

783 has a heavier contour barrel from the factory. 770 is regular sporter contour.

783 has an adjustable trigger, 770 does not.

783 has a pillar-bedded stock, 770 does not. The 783 stock is also a different, stiffer material than the 770. It is also free-floated.

Bolt design is completely different. The 783 has a much smoother action.

I've read many times that Remington is not replacing the 770 with the 783; it's truly meant to be in between a 770 and 700; i.e. a step above a 770.
Old October 28, 2014, 08:11 PM   #6
steveNChunter

Quote:
783 has a barrel nut system like a Savage and Marlin XL7. 770 has a press-fit barrel. 783 can change barrels like a Savage, if and when barrels become available.
Unless I got some bad information, I believe a small shank Savage barrel/nut will fit a Remington 783 receiver. Don't know that for a fact though.

Remington makes zero sense to me when it comes to rifles in this price range. They have the 770 at around $300, the 783 at around $330, and the 700 ADL at around $380. I just don't see the need for this many models within $80 of each other. What would make sense would be to drop the 770 altogether. The 783 is a good, competitive model against the RAR, Axis, ATR, etc., the 770 is not. The 700 ADL is more often considered a build rifle than to be left as-is, so that excuses the crappy stock and trigger. But all things considered, if I had to choose between the 700 ADL and 783 and had to leave either rifle unaltered, I'd pick the 783 for the floated barrel, better stock and slightly better trigger.
Old October 28, 2014, 08:18 PM   #7
HKFan9

Quote:
Which is why most of us avoid the big retailers unless theres a sale.

It isn't hard to notice the differences in person, let alone log onto Remington's website and read the specs....

I also agree with I dont know why Remington keeps the 770... seems like they should scrap it for the 783 for the price, and keep the 700 ADL for around 400ish. No need for 3 guns in that price teir.
Old October 28, 2014, 11:19 PM   #8
dakota.potts

I don't think it would be inflating my worth to say that I know a pretty fair bit about firearms and I feel confident being knowledgeable in most of my sales, but I'd never even heard of the 783 before I started. I was actually on my way here to ask about it when I saw there was already a thread. No need for condescension

Orion, that was a very concise and helpful post. I could tell the barrel contour was different and the action on the 783 is (much) smoother, that's going to be a very helpful list for me.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Orion6

Quote:
Orion, that was a very concise and helpful post. I could tell the barrel contour was different and the action on the 783 is (much) smoother, that's going to be a very helpful list for me.
No problem. When it first came out people were slamming it by describing the 770, not taking the time to realize it's a "new" design (for Remington) that essentially takes a lot of the features from other budget style guns.

It's very much comparable to an Axis or Ruger American, and I think it's better than those rifles personally. It has a steel magazine box, stiffer stock and you can get Magnum chamberings. Not to say those other guns are bad or not completely suitable shooters. My daughter has an Axis and loves it.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Orion6

I'll also add, the bolt is indeed extremely smooth on my rifle. I have seen a couple of reviews that said the bolt was a little stiff initially until it was shot a few times, but mine was smooth at the store.

I know most folks don't like Remington as much as they used to. But from what I have read, this gun was "dreamed up" at deer camp by a few Remington higher ups, and they admittedly took the best features out there from existing platforms and wanted to add a better barrel and stock to the budget class. As a hunter, I think the 783 is a big win for them. I love 700's and Winchester 70's and realize they are superb (and better) platforms. However, the 783 is more than competitive in the rough country deer/hog gun game.

I sound like a fanboy I know, but this is a legit rifle and I hope some others give it a shot, pun intended. It is what the 770 should have been years ago.
Old November 7, 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion6 View Post
I know most folks don't like Remington as much as they used to.But from what I have read, this gun was "dreamed up" at deer camp by a few Remington higher ups, and they admittedly took the best features out there from existing platforms and wanted to add a better barrel and stock to the budget class.

That's a funny story. Probably went more like,"Hey we own the rights to the Marlin X7 and they stole all the good ideas from various popular guns. We should change the receiver and stock a little, use the same trigger group and bolt, use the same barrels, and call it a Remington."

I for one am glad. Certain parts can cross over from the 783 to the X7 in case I break something.

It's just too bad they seem to be phasing out the Marlin X7, or Marlin in general.
Old November 10, 2014, 09:49 AM   #12
HKFan9

I shot it with the Remington Reps and didn't even hear the "Deer Camp" story either... but I can assure you their marketing department was sure proud of their new economy rifle.

I think it would make sense for Remington... IF they'd drop the damn 770. I told them that too. The 783 is a fine gun for its price tag, but as someone else stated why have two economy rifles in your line up.... specially when the 700 ADL Syn. is right around $400 anyways, so techincally 3 economy rifles.
Old November 10, 2014, 10:05 AM   #13
USMC 77-81

Americans tend to know guns and we don't like junk. This country is capable and has produced some of the finest production grade guns available in the past and can still do so. If domestic manufacturers don't do so we will buy imports, personally I'm on a buy American kick and intend to remain so. My friend bought 3 new rifles last year, 2 30-06's (son and daughter guns) and a 300 Win Mag for himself, all Tika T 3's. Fine guns, good triggers. I still prefer my Savage 110 and early 80's Remington 700.
Old November 10, 2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Rmart30

Are all the 783 built using the same action regardless of long or short chambering?
Old November 10, 2014, 11:32 PM   #15
Orion6

Quote:
I shot it with the Remington Reps and didn't even hear the "Deer Camp" story either... but I can assure you their marketing department was sure proud of their new economy rifle.
Quote:
In some hunting camps, what happens around the campfire stays around the campfire. Luckily, for most American big-game hunters, what happened around a campfire in the North Carolina Mountains in 2010 didn’t remain a hunting camp secret. Remington’s new Model 783 rifle proves that under the suits of some Remington executives, you’ll find camo.

In the fall of 2010, John Trull, Jay Bunting and John Fink—all of whom you might call “big dogs” within Remington’s rifle program—were on a deer hunt where they decided Remington needed a new rifle, one as accurate and dependable as a Remington Model 700 but less expensive. This is exactly what the American heritage of firearms manufacturing is about; building quality firearms that hard-working Americans can afford.

They left camp with a blueprint for what would become the Model 783, a model number with meaning. The “Seven” reflects the model 700’s legendary reliability and accuracy. The “Eight” was a call back to the Model 788, which was Remington’s last affordable alternative to the 700. And finally, the “Three” represents 2013; the year Remington would introduce this rifle. The “Three” could also represent the 30-year span—1983 until 2013—between the model 788 and the 783.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...gton-model-783

Look, I can't determine the veracity of the story. Not all of us can rub shoulders with Remington Execs. Did you tell them your thoughts on the 770?
Old November 10, 2014, 11:33 PM   #16
Orion6

Quote:
Are all the 783 built using the same action regardless of long or short chambering?
No, short action and long/magnum actions have different receiver dimensions.
Old November 11, 2014, 12:23 AM   #17
HKFan9

Quote:
Look, I can't determine the veracity of the story. Not all of us can rub shoulders with Remington Execs. Did you tell them your thoughts on the 770?
I wasn't stating it as such to be a snob, just saying I never heard that, and I sat with them.

Personally you didn't miss out on much, their reps and execs are pretty much that.... all they care about is telling you that their products are the best, when its clear they arent, and they werent too kind when people disagreed lol.

Example being we had our Glock rep stop by our store with the new Glock 42 and 41 when they were coming out to show em off to customers. He hung out for a few hours, even talked with customers about other handguns in general. Even joked a told one of my customers looking for a new 1911 that everyone should own atleast one 1911... than all the rest should be glocks.

Remington Reps... not so much that nice.

The 783 is a fine little rifle for its price point, I wish, and I told them, that they should drop the 770 as it flat out sucks. They argued, and said they are aware of the issues, and will be re-designing it... I still have to ask WHY, specially with how nice the 783 came out in the same price point.

As for American Made VS where ever else... I own cheap rifles, and I own $$$ rifles..... I don't care where it was made... just HOW it was made. Now a days I can buy a $300 rifle, and a $15 box of ammo off the shelf.. and get better groups than a sought after pre '64 Winchester. Just because something is cheap, and designed to be a certain price point... doesn't mean it can't perform the task at hand.

I have a $2000 Kimber Mountain Accent .308 that weighs 4lbs, with a 10oz Leupold VX3 2-8x scope on it, and Talley Alloy rings.... gun is amazing to carry all day... however its as accurate has most off the shelf deer rifles.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Orion6

I got ya man. I was just in a chippy mood last night...

I've owned a few (not many hunting rifles but military style weapons) higher end guns, and you're right, how it's made is important over anything else.

I do think the 783 is pretty solid for a budget rifle. I too can't fathom why they don't just drop the 770, unless they're going to sell it for $199 or something. The 783 is FAR superior to that one, and really I think it confuses people. Can't tell you how many people think I'm holding or discussing a 770 instead of the 783.

I am intrigued by the Nosler Patriot rifle, but I'd probably just get a new M70 Winchester when I decide to buy a fancier gun. The Mountain Ascent looks awesome but it's not even in my fantasy price range.
Old November 11, 2014, 09:07 PM   #19
HKFan9

For the money if you want a light weight gun like the Kimber, the Tikka T3 Lites are amazing shooters.
Old November 12, 2014, 08:13 PM   #20
Rmart30

Found one new on sale for $289... Add shipping and FFL fee and after the rebate Id have $280 in it total.
Old November 13, 2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Orion6

That's a pretty good deal there, man.

If you want it, I don't think it will disappoint you. I'm very happy with my 783.
Old November 13, 2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Rmart30

Well its ordered ... I evidently got the last 308 as its showing out of stock now this morning. if it hadnt been the compact model I probably would have passed on it.
For the price I can always get my $ back out of it if I need too.

They do still have for $289 + $9 shipping a 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag. or for $316 a camo 30-06.
Old November 13, 2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Orion6

Where is that price at?
Old November 13, 2014, 09:58 PM   #24
Rmart30

Keely Arms ... http://www.keelyarms.com/SearchResul...ch=783&Submit=
Old November 13, 2014, 11:25 PM   #25
Orion6

Thanks!