The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 13, 2014, 09:57 PM   #1
rdtompki

Rolling case for ammunition

Wife and I have just started shooting handguns. I've got a case that holds our four handguns, magazines, ears and glasses nicely, but with the handgun case, two shotguns, miscellaneous and ammo for 3 handgun calibers and the shotguns I'm really in the hunt for a single rolling case to consolidate all the ammunition. Can't simply be a suitcase - probably need a hard case with some dividers. Can anyone point me toward a possible solution?
Old April 13, 2014, 10:09 PM   #2
zoomie

One of the rolling Pelicans with the camera dividers if you want to go big. Or just get a furniture dolly and stack it with 50 cal ammo cans.

Last edited by zoomie; April 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:44 PM   #3
nemesiss45

Id skip the pelican unless you are going on safari. You can just get a luggage cart for like $20 on amazon or probably at any walmart type store. Then you can use a range bag or a tool box.... or whatever you can also stack your pistol cases on and strap it all down.... and it'll save you probably $200 over a pelican case
Old April 13, 2014, 10:54 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Wheeled airline luggage, with a drop-open face. Put your ammo in some Tupperware containers and fill the luggage. Wheel it around and set it up, pull the ammo box you want and have a fun day. Take an empty canister for your brass.

You can pick up the luggage at a thrift shop for maybe $5.00, the plastic containers you'll want to shop for and get all the same and correct size for your ammo.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:00 AM   #5
g.willikers

Assuming this is for packing up and going to the range, and not for secure storage,
How about a fore-mentioned inexpensive luggage carrier and a large plastic container box?
Probably around $30 or so from a big box store, total.
I used this arrangement for many years, for carrying everything to and around the range, targets and stands included.
Some of the big box stores have lockable versions, that look like foot lockers, too.
Old April 14, 2014, 10:46 PM   #6
10-96

Down at the local Office Depot I bought a Samsonite Overnight computer bag/case thing. Used it for a couple of years when I was shooting bullseye. It has 4 compartments, expandable, pull-up handle, wheels, padded dividers, smaller pocket for pens, scorecards, pasters,, etc. It's held up pretty darn well.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 17, 2014, 04:07 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-018800...lling+tool+box
I haven't found anything that can touch this for twice the price. I have 3 and will probably buy 2 more in the next month. One is my "school bag", one has tools, and one is for the range.