The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2009, 05:39 PM   #26
JagFarlane

Hmmmm well best to start with, what type of hunting are you doing? Are you planning to stalk or sit on a stand? Is it heavy brush where the average shot is under 100yds, or are there often shots that test distance? These are really important questions to ask yourself before purchasing a rifle.

If you're stalking in an area where the average shot is under a 100yds, often in brush, you may want a lever action with iron sights. The iron sights are faster at lining up for a target and the lever action gives you a very fast followup. Since you're also considering elk, I'd think more towards a slightly heavier load. Marlin makes lever actions in 45/70 as well as a 308Win. Brownings BLR stores the ammunition differently, and thus allows use of more standard ammunition, such as the 30-06. A good slug gun can be used here as well [if you use buckshot, check state regulations. Some states are banning its use now.]

If you're stand hunting, I'd tend to lean towards a bolt action rifle. The choices of calibers vary quite a bit, and once again, since you're thinking elk I'd refer to the many debate threads over the caliber of choice. There are also many, many different rifles made. Best suggestion is do your homework, check fitting of the various rifles, research out the ones you like the best, and make your choice. The Remmy 700 is very popular, but by no means is it the perfect rifle for everyone.
As a side note, in situations on a stand where you still expect under 100yds, a rifled barrel shotgun, with scope, and sabot slugs is very effective as well.

Good luck in making your choice.
Old June 23, 2009, 06:50 PM   #27
flyguyskt

if you want a lever gun in thick cover?? i would say go with the new .338 marlin express. gr8 for elk gr8 for deer...

bolt action...either 700 remington or winchester model 70.

270 on up for deer and elk.

280 rem

30 06 spring

300 win short mag

2-10 power x 40mm for all around scope...brand depends on $$$ you have

Last edited by flyguyskt; June 23, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old June 23, 2009, 06:54 PM   #28
J.Smith

Went with the Marlin 30-30. Using irons for now, but plan on putting a Leuopold on eventually. Also looking at a 45/70 Stainless Marlin for Elk. I have recently been invited on hog hunt in the fall down in TN. Planning on using my AR and penetrator rounds.
Old June 23, 2009, 07:48 PM   #29
pilothunter

You've mentiond some interesting facts. Using what you have already mentioned, I'd recommend a couple of rifles and calibers as near perfect. If you want to hunt elk and deer at ranges up to 300 yds, than no better calibers exist than the 30/06, .308, .338 Fed, and .338 Marlin Ex. They are found in a lever rifle format and also bolt. The lever rifle, now found, in many cases, to be just as accurate as most bolt guns, is as good as it gets for eastern whitetail hunting (I hunt whitetails in Tn and Ky every year). So, my FIRM reccommondation is the BLR in .308, the Marlin in both .308 and .338 and the Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Fed.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:57 PM   #30
James R. Burke

I would go with the 30-06, and a Leupold scope. Lots of great rifle, I guess it would come down to what you like. Just my thoughts. Good luck, have fun, and keep it safe!