The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2001, 08:48 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

Anyone know of a manufacturer who can custom make moulds for really long bullets? I'm trying to get 0.512 diameter moulds made for a bullet that is about 3.0 inches long. The length requirement is the problem.
Old May 20, 2001, 09:33 PM   #2
Big Bunny

I believe LEE Precision in USA will make a mould to your specifications for abt $100USD set-up cost.

E-mail - them as I find they are very helpful and reasonably priced always.
Old May 21, 2001, 12:03 AM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Worth a try. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2001, 01:14 AM   #4
Contender

Kenneth,

I seem to remember in an article in Wolfe's Bullet Making Annual about an adjustable length mold made by a guy or company named "Carroll" I think. What I noticed is the mold was quite long to encompass the adjustable base. It was a nose pour. Does that ring a bell with you?

That's quite a bullet length. You might need to make a plaster cast for it. (grin)

I'll see what I can dig up.

Regards

Old May 21, 2001, 08:14 AM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

Let my subscription to Handloader go years ago I'm afraid. Once they stopped accepting articles from any freelancers I drifted away.
Old May 21, 2001, 01:42 PM   #6
Contender

Ken,

If I may ask,what does that thing go to?

Regards

Old May 21, 2001, 07:18 PM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

Barrett M99 single shot 50 BMG. Probably will use GOEX Cartridge Blackpowder. May have to have two moulds made. One for the rear and one for the nose. At least that way I could get an overall bullet length of just under four inches.
Old May 21, 2001, 09:13 PM   #8
Contender

Now that sounds like a fascinating project. Keep us posted on your progress if you would.

Will you look to try to fuse the halves together somehow or will one half slip into the other?

Regards,
Old May 21, 2001, 10:45 PM   #9
Kenneth L. Walters

As I'm sure you know Lyman has fielded at least two systems. There may have been others before my time. In one you cast the cast with one mould then you took that piece put it into a second mould and cast the nose. In the other you cast the two pieces separately and glued the two together. Both these ideas were meant to yield a bullet with a strong linotype butt and a dead soft pure lead nose. Don't see why you couldn't do something similar, however, to just achieve a REALLY long bullet. I wonder if you couldn't cast both pieces from linotype and then drill out a small hole in each into which you presses a steel pin to hold the pieces together. Even if it doesn't work it will keep me busy for quite a while.

Wonder how long a bullet you could swage?
Old May 22, 2001, 12:44 AM   #10
Contender

Yes, that sounds interesting with the pin to hold the 2 halves together, especially with a nice hard alloy like Lino. Some type of splined pin would probably work. As far as swaging to size, perhaps a reamed out Lee bullet sizing die would work,not sure about diameter. I don't think they are very hard steel. A custom push punch could be turned on a lathe easily to fit the press ram and die diameter (.511-.512). You just would need a press that can take that bullet length. I trust you'll have some lube grooves left in the bullet if they are deep enough to start.

You could skip all this too and turn some bullets down on a lathe too.

Regards