The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
oldscot3

Rem 700 ADL save the trigger?

I recently acquired a Rem. 700 with trigger issues. It won't stay cocked. I figured someone monkeyed with the trigger adjustments and, sure enough when I inspected it, two of the screws were bugered and the sear engagement screw was twisted off below the surface of the trigger housing. Someone must have used non-removable thread locker or they were rusted in. Three tiny screws to drill and tap (perfectly or it's ruined for sure).

What are the odds I can save this trigger? I wonder what thread pitch the screws are? I have a tap and die set for scope mounts and rings.
Old August 2, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
PawPaw

Timney, Jewel, Rifle Basix, Jard, Shilen. Take your choice. By the time you drill those little screws out, re-tap everything, and replace the assembly, there's no guarantee it's going to work. Save yourself the hassle and get a new trigger assembly.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 2, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The Timney 510 for the Remington 700, with safety, runs you about $130.00. The problem is, how long will it take you to drill out/extract what is left of those small screws, and then re-tap them, when these small taps like to break. Plus, where do you buy new screws? Then you have to set the poundage with a good set of weights, and the new one comes preset at 3 pounds. There could be a good 3 days work here to get this done correctly, as the smaller it is, the more time consuming it seems to be.
Old August 2, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
oldscot3

That's kind of what I expected to hear... $130.00 is going to add about 30% to what I have invested in the rifle. I have a benchtop drill press with vise, the screws appear to be ordinary set screws. I may give it a stab, however I saw a Jard trigger "kit" that uses the factory housing. It's half the cost of a whole new unit, has anyone here installed one of those?
Old August 2, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
BumbleBug

Try eBay

I just did a quick search of eBay with "Rem 700 trigger" as a search argument & a lot of triggers are for sale from $12 to $50. Perhaps one will fit your rifle.

Good Luck,

...bug
Old August 2, 2013, 08:09 PM   #6
jmr40

I'd replace it even if it were not buggered up just to be sure. There are other options cheaper than $130, all of which are better options than the factory trigger.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't need an adjustable trigger, one could always put Remington's assembly back in, and for probably less than half the Timney.

The set screws in these are cut to a specific length for the manufacturer, and you may not be able to find them the exact length. Timney may sell you the originals, but I have never bought any internal parts from them, so you would have to contact them. Another thought; Timney may offer to rebuild the trigger at a reduced cost.
Old August 2, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8
oldscot3

Eureka! After closer inspection with a 10x magnifyer, I discovered the twisted off engagement screw wasn't twisted off at all. It was simply screwed all the way in and the hole filled with some kind of sealant. I cleaned out the sealant with a dental pick and was able to screw it out. With a little more careful work I also got the other two backed out. I think I'll check Gun Parts for new screws, they are not ordinary set screws. The tip has a small diameter post. Otherwise I'll dress the slots with needle file. Wish me luck boys, and thanks for the 2 cents.
Old August 3, 2013, 11:34 AM   #9
oldscot3

Update, this thread can drop to the bottom now. I managed to clean up the screw heads so that a properly sized screwdriver fit nicely and then the adjustment procedure went without another hitch. The end result is a consistent release at 2&3/4 pounds with just the slightest hint of creep. I put in a bit more sear engagement than the sniper armourers might have, but it still breaks extremely clean compared to some of my other rifles, and there's no sign of its' former problem. Slamming the bolt closed and bumping the butt repeatedly haven't been able to release it so far, so I think I'm ready for some range time.
Old August 3, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you got it.
Old August 4, 2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Lemmon

I have owned a number of Rem 700s

I have owned a number of Rem 700s over the years and was able to lighten the trigger pull on all but one. I gave up and bought a Timmy replacement trigger rifle and have not looked back. It was a simple fix without the head ache.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina.
Old August 4, 2013, 08:27 PM   #12
oldscot3

Weight of pull never really was the problem, insufficient sear engagement was. I wouldn't be surprised if it could go less than 2 3/4 lbs, but that's not what I want out of a hunting rig like this old 30 06. I have three other rifles with trigger pulls just over 5 lb.s that I consider perfectly shootable, this old Rem feels downright light as it is now. Safe and consistent, is what I wanted and I think that's what I have now... I'm going out at first light tomorrow to range test it.