The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Contrast Man

Kahr CW9

I've always been a bit curious about Kahrs and the CW9 has caught my eye. It would be used possibly for ccw once IL actually passes some sort of legislation as well as a range gun for my girlfriend who has ridiculously tiny hands. (legal note, this would be my purchase for her to use with me present and she is able to own her own firearms).

With that out of the way, what I'm curious about is the trigger and relative felt recoil. I've seen a few locally but I have not been able to dry fire any so I don't have a good idea of that feel. I know its a DAO striker and I've heard they have very smooth but long pulls. That concept doesn't bother me, I love a good da trigger, like those on a S&W revolver. If anyone who has one can provide a bit of insight on the trigger and how/if they carry it, it would be appreciated!
Old March 6, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
larryf1952

I've had a CW9 for about a year, and I just bought a CW45. The CW9 is a sweet little gun, and I've had excellent results from mine. As a matter of fact, it was the first DAO and polymer framed handgun that I had ever bought, and I've been shooting handguns since 1973.

I find my gun to be very accurate out to 15 yards (that's the furthest that I've shot it). It has what is likely to be one of the best DAO triggers you'll ever find on a gun of its type. It's very smooth, and the trigger has a definite break. I don't think that the trigger pull is excessively long, but, as I said, outside of a few Glocks, I don't have a lot of experience with this type of firearm. I think that the trigger pull of the CW is superior to that of a Glock, which I find to be too mushy and vague.

Insofar as recoil is concerned, I don't even notice it. It's there, but the gun is entirely comfortable to shoot. I think you're on the right track with this gun. It's small enough that your girlfriend shouldn't have any insurmountable problems with mastering it, and the 9mm is a decent caliber for self defense.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
AH.74

I found a very good deal from a forum member here on a PM9 and liked it so much I bought a new CM9.

The triggers are smooth and long, as you say. I have come to really like the way they work- they are exactly the same feel all the way through with no variation.

The CW9 is slightly larger, but the felt recoil on these small, light guns really isn't bad at all. A grip sleeve helps some with the rough texture which bothers some people over a longer session of shooting. I have stuck with regular non- +p but they handle that just fine- I don't think you or your GF will have a problem unless you're hyper-sensitive to recoil.

They carry very well; slim and light. I carry with a full magazine and a round in the chamber.

I haven't looked at the pricing for a little while, but pre-craziness you could find the CW9's for around 349 or so, which I think is a very good value. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
fishbones182

For not much more id look at the cm9. I just bought a cm9 for 430 out the door price with an extra magazine. I like it alot im shooting 2 inch groups at 20 yards with mine. At 7 yards the holes touch. I still love my glocks but this is a great great great ccw. I chose the c series by kahr because of the standard rifling and i cast my own bullets so no worries with barrel issues. Now if glock could get it through their heads and cash in on ccw's of that size and style I think they couldnt keep up with all the glock lovers out there.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Really nice and slim. Good for CCW for most. Not for me, sold mine to a friend. Trigger wasn't my thing and neither was the small grip for my big hands.

If it fits you well and you like the trigger and feel ok with a single stack 9. Go for it.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
I'm curious about is the trigger and relative felt recoil.
The trigger is very appropriate for a CCW, but know this; it isn't a target gun and the trigger isn't a target trigger. The pull feels long and people with large hands may feel as if their trigger finger is "doubling back" into your hand. The pull is about 7#, (per Kahr), and feels just right, IMHO.

Recoil in a 18 ounce 9mm is going to be more than a large duty gun. It isn't harsh, but first time shooters may be surprized by it. I agree that grip sleeves make a big difference on the polymer Kahrs. I put one on all of mine. They are cheap and come in different styles.

I like Kahrs. The are a niche gun, made for concealment and up close protection with simplicity as the guiding rule.

Here's a photo of a P9, (same size as a CW9), with a Pachmayr sleeve on the grip. The holster is a favorite of mine, a Mitch Rosen Premier.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:47 PM   #7
kahrguy

Buy'n a pistol for a lady with out know'n how she feels about it may get you a new pistol. I will not pick my ladys firearms.

If she has good handgun skills allready and is strong enought to rack the slide then she can more than likely shoot a cw9. The slide has a very strong recoil spring that does soften with use but can still be a hand full. Put something to aid for grip control on the grip control helps like a piece of inner tube or a slip for hogue. But that slide function is tougher than some my think. Try to find one for her to handle to get her feelings about it. Are rentals possible??

My wife has no interest in even shooting my cw9 much less the cm9 and has a bersa 380CC a tcp and m&p9c so she shoot all around my kahrs. My older daughter is 5'8 and a not a girly girl. Shes is a full tilt country girl carries a 13oz 38sp+P revolver and can shoot my cw9 fine but the slide can be tough for her too. My 100lb 5-3 girly girl who will shoot it but has zero interest in it and cc's one of a pair of 380's one being a 10oz tcp.

I have 3 kahrs and all have been great pistols. The trigger is closest to being like a very nice da revolver trigger except it does not stack in weight. 6lbs all the way back. It does take some shooting to get use to smoothness but its a very nice trigger.

IF the kahr turns out to be more than your girlfriend want to shoot look at a bersa 380 line from the small 16oz CC model to the 20oz thunder plus with 15 rounds mag. OR a airweight revolver sw 642 or 442 also. Easy to learn with . useing a full sized hogue/sw rubber grips there easy to control even with hotter +P ammo to learn with. None will break your budget ether.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Contrast Man

Thanks for all the quick responses!

The smallest gun I currently own is a CZ-82 and while a great pistol, it's a bit heavy and I'd prefer a 9mm for carry. I've shot plenty of striker fired guns, but to this day I don't own any simply because I've never felt strongly enough towards any.

Quote:
The pull feels long and people with large hands may feel as if their trigger finger is "doubling back" into your hand.
This shouldn't really be an issue for me, I've got a "large" sized hand but short fingers so single stacks and slimmer double stacks are my friends.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Contrast Man

Quote:
I will not pick my ladys firearms
I agree 100% with this.

It will be primarily mine, it's just a bonus that it's smaller, slimmer, and lighter than all of my current pistols which could translate into easier handling for her. If not, no big deal.

She has no problems handling my Cz-82 or 75, but doesn't like firing them too much because she can't get her hands around it well enough. She loves 1911's though.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:02 PM   #10
jfrey

Kahrs are fine if you only shoot factory ammo. Reloads in any of them can be a tricky situation at best. Bullet configuration and OAL are very finicky. For that reason I traded my CW9 for a G19. I now carry a S&W Shield. No problems with reloads and just as slim and easy to carry.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Contrast Man

I figured the CW would be good for reloads due to the conventional rifled barrel, but this is the first I've heard of it being fineky with bullet type and OAL. I reload 9mm so that would be a huge issue for me. What load details were you using that gave you such issue?
Old March 7, 2013, 12:39 AM   #12
chris in va

The trigger pull is only 3/8" long. I find it really helps cut down 'jerking' the trigger, making shots more accurate than you would think. My K9 has the longer 1/2" pull but still feels great.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:09 AM   #13
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahrguy
If she has good handgun skills allready and is strong enought to rack the slide then she can more than likely shoot a cw9. The slide has a very strong recoil spring that does soften with use but can still be a hand full.
^^THIS^^

I have a CM9, and the spring in that beauty is a beast (see what I did there? ) I love shooting it, though. It does have some pop to it, and if you are used to heavier guns, it will take some getting used to. I keep mine as a BUG/CC gun when I don't wanna tuck the CZ75 IWB.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:42 AM   #14
larryf1952

Quote:
I figured the CW would be good for reloads due to the conventional rifled barrel, but this is the first I've heard of it being fineky with bullet type and OAL. I reload 9mm so that would be a huge issue for me.
Some CW9's may be picky with reloaded ammo, as there are so many variables that can occur...OAL, lead bullets, bullet type, crimp? But, I know that MY CW9 has gone over 600 rounds with my own reloads and has not malfunctioned from round 1, and I've run only 115 grain JHP's through it. It has never seen a factory round.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Fishbed77

I have a CM9 (slightly smaller version) and it has been 100% with various practice and SD loadings. It's a sweet little simple and well-made pistol that is surprisingly soft-shooting.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #16
kahrguy

My main practice ammo is a georgia arms fired 1time mixed brass reload 124gr fmj. I have not had a single issue useing it for a few years and a few thousand rounds fired. Solid pistols .
Old March 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #17
whippoorwill

Quote:
I have a CM9 (slightly smaller version) and it has been 100% with various practice and SD loadings. It's a sweet little simple and well-made pistol that is surprisingly soft-shooting.
This sums up my experience wit the CM9.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #18
chilly460

I have a CW45, the trigger is the best part of the gun IMO. It's true, it's a bit of a long trigger pull compared to typical striker fired guns, but it's not overly long.

It's very smooth, absolutely no grittiness or stacking, I shoot it as well as my 92FS in SA.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Contrast Man

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! Looks like when I can allocate the funds I'll be picking one of these guys up!
Old March 7, 2013, 09:44 PM   #20
mrvco

I have the CW-9 and it is easy shooting for the size. The slide can be difficult though. I'm not sure if mine has gotten easier or whether I've just gotten uses to it (probably a bit of both).