The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
EmptyHull

Opinions on Taurus Gaucho six shooter

I just picked up one from BP on sale for $299 in a 45 cal. Went looking for a Uberti, but the Taurus actually felt better to me. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Tim
Old June 9, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2
GeorgeF

I like it! Got a 5.5" Stainless from CDNN for $300 last year. Shoots exactly point of aim. 7 yards had nice little grouping. Everyone who has fired it has enjoyed it.

Only thing that scared me was when I first disassembled it and took out the cylinder to clean it. When I reassembled I must not have pushed the cylinder pin in far enough to truly lock into place. Next time I was at range, after 3 shots the whole thing locked up. I thought "Oh no, the Taurus curse has finally hit."

Pushed the cylinder pin in until it locked into place and has been fine since. 100% user error on my part. Fun piece - my only regret was not getting a pair that were consecutively numbered. I really want another one now!
Old June 9, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I have 2 of them, one is a 357 and the other a 45, both with 7.5" barrels. My only complaint is that both of them hit high and left of my point of aim. At 50' they are both about 4" high and 4" left. Yesterday I was shooting at 25 yds and I had a 8.5 X 11" sheet of paper with the target in the center. In order to even keep 5 rounds on the paper, I basically had to aim at the extreme lower right corner of the paper.

They both have decent groupings for that kind of gun. The 45 will give me about a 5" group at 25 yds, the 357 will give about 4" groups at 25 yds with their favorite handloads. Not stellar, but OK I guess.

The problem though is the dang POI compared to the point of aim. I have always had adjustable sights before, so this is driving me crazy.

They both have about 500 rounds through them and have functioned well though.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

I bought some for cowboy action shooting. Mine were a nightmare quickly failing with light hammer strikes and nasty "trigger slap". Taurus replaced the worst one and it too soon started failing with the same issues.

I'm still sad about it because mine were accurate and I loved the way they felt in my hands...but in the end they were paperweights.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I have one in .357. It's a nice gun after I had the local gunsmith fit the firing pin so it wouldn't lock-up when the transfer bar hit it. (it never should have left the factory that way.) And I replaced the soft base pin with a hardened one from Belt Mountain so I could get the cylinder out for cleaning without using a hammer (a soft lead hammer.)

I have to be careful when I remove the cylinder, otherwise the bushing falls out (I tried gluing it in place, but the glue didn't stand up against recoil.) And it leads pretty bad because the bore has a lot of toolmarks. I should probably fire lap the barrel.

It's really pretty, and accurate. I would probably buy another one but the price would have to be real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugger45
At 50' they are both about 4" high and 4" left. Yesterday I was shooting at 25 yds and I had a 8.5 X 11" sheet of paper with the target in the center. In order to even keep 5 rounds on the paper, I basically had to aim at the extreme lower right corner of the paper.
Try using lighter bullets (125's in the .357 and 200's in the .45 Colt) and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by zxcvbob; June 9, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. I've only tried 200 gr for my reloads for the 45. They group a whole lot better than the factory ammo does with the 250 gr bullets. For the 357, I've never tried anything except 158 gr bullets, so I'll get some lighter ones and give them a try.
Old June 10, 2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Piper Cub

They were discontinued by Taurus. A USFA is much better.
Old June 10, 2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

I have had one in .357 for almost 3 years now. It is a Color Case Hardened model with a 5 1\2" barrel. I love the way it looks and feels and have put over 1,000 round without any problems other than the rising cost of ammo. I realize other people have had less than good experiences with theirs, mine has been very good.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old July 2, 2009, 06:02 PM   #9
EmptyHull

Does anyone have any info on how strong a cartridge you can push through it? I know it is no Ruger Blackhawk, but how strong are they? Tim