The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1
TargetTerror

Any Problem Using Tru Oil on old Garand Stock w/o cleaning it?

I picked up an early serial number Garand. The stock has definitely been through hell, and it almost feels damp to the touch with the grime in it. That said, I actually like the color its taken on, as it looks vintage and like it has seen some use. But I'd like to put some sort of finish on it to protect the wood and shine it up a bit.

I've used Tru Oil on my WASR stock to good effect, though that stock was new and bare wood. Is there any problem putting Tru Oil on the Garand stock without cleaning it first? If so, is there another finish that would suit my purposes? thanks!
Old February 10, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
hunter11

M1 stock

This is what I did to mine, Clean with paint thinner, lightly sand smooth. Warm Linseed oil till warm to the touch use cotton cloth and wipe generously. Allow to dry for several days, Sand smooth and do over again. When you get the finish you like stop. Dan
Old February 10, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3
LHB1

You will probably need to do some light cleaning and sanding without cutting thru the stain/color before applying the TruOil. Doubt it would dry properly or smooth if the current finish is damp or cruddy. I did this to a 1957 model Win M70 that belonged to my late father. He had doused it with 3in1 oil for years. I cleaned/sanded lightly and then applied several coats of TruOil. The stock retained the original Winchester reddish walnut color and looked better than new. We discovered the stock has some great fiddleback walnut figure in it that we had never seen.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Pahoo

Terror
I have work with Tru-Oil on quite a few occasions and although I prefer it to most finishes, I would not recommend it in this application. Instead, I would go with what hunter11 Has suggested. The reason I say this is because True-Oil likes good clean wood and the military rifles have years of oil and linseed oil applications. There might be spots where it seems as if the Tru-Oil will never dry or set or what I call curing. Heck, try it for yourself and you can always take it back off if you don't like it.

Be Safe !!!!