The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 22, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Bubsy

Crimson Trace Handgrip Question

I shoot a S&W 67 38sp revolver that I use exclusively for target shooting, (although it is my self defense weapon should I need to protect my home). I'm considering purchasing a Crimson Trace Handgrip for my revolver but I am wondering if the laser is useful in daylight or only in dim light and darkness? I'd like to target shoot using the laser grips at the pistol range, but if the laser is useless in regular light, there would be no point in getting the grips.

I could ask the local dealer that sells the grips, but I would expect them to encourage me to purchase them to make a sale.

So, I've come to this forum for the real answer. Would the grips be useful for target practice at an indoor pistol range?

Thanks,

Bubsy
Old July 22, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
sholling

The CT grip is an an awesome tool for self defense but I do not recommend them for target practice. Practice with your iron sights. The CTs are to add speed when you don't have time to line up the iron sights in an emergency. The CTs also sit off axis from the barrel. Not an issue for social work but an issue for range work.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
tranks

i read somewhere that there good to 13-15 yds in daylight and a couple hundred at night.

they are the most powerful legal laser you can have (i think).

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old July 23, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Tatsumi67

It will work in brightly lit rooms and in daylight, just look at my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGqJZ9Cf18E
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Jermtheory

Quote:
they are the most powerful legal laser you can have (i think).
yup.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Logs

I put a set of CT's on a Glock and love them. It will let you know real quick that your trigger control sucks at the range. I feel they made me a better shooter. Mine work great in the range and in the woods. I would say you could see them in direct sun light for about 20 yards after that hard to use. But I have a small range I shoot at bowling pins and with the shade of the leaves in the middle of the day I can see my site fine.

Check around I found that Ebay :barf: of all places has the best prices. Places around here wanted $229 for G26 grip and saw them for $169 on the site.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:55 PM   #7
NineInchNails

I'm no expert, but I couldn't imagine firing a revolver at 100-200 yards I have to hand it to you guys that can shoot like that.

I’ve used laser bore sighters before and it surprised me as to how inaccurate they are. Sure lasers get you on paper, but surprisingly inaccurate.

The Crimson Trace looks handy, but I imagine not relying on a laser when it comes to being startled in a 'real life situation' especially at night. The Crimson Trace does look ergonomic enough to be used instinctively though.

If something bumps in the night, what do ya do? Most grab a flash light. There's nothing better than a flashlight that BITES! I've become more ... reliant/dependant ... on tactical lights more so than lasers for night time situations. If I had to pick either a laser or a tac light … I choose a tac light. For the most part, in the end, one does have to rely on and be confident with their aim.

I would be tempted to get one if I owned a revolver because they do not take up any space and doesn’t affect the use of a holster. I just wouldn’t expect it to be extremely accurate especially at longer ranges.
Old July 23, 2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Jermtheory

Quote:
The Crimson Trace looks handy, but I imagine not relying on a laser when it comes to being startled in a 'real life situation' especially at night. The Crimson Trace does look ergonomic enough to be used instinctively though.
most(all?) models activate by simply griping the pistol naturally(most also have a master switch).

Quote:
If I had to pick either a laser or a tac light … I choose a tac light.
me too...but i dont need to choose.

Quote:
I would be tempted to get one if I owned a revolver because they do not take up any space and doesn’t affect the use of a holster.
the Glock models are said to be the most intrusive and look as such...i dont think the XD models look that great either in this regard.

another +1 for the M&P...

Old July 23, 2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Bubsy

Thanks for all your comments

I'm still curious about trying the laser grips, if only to help me hold the gun steady while following through on the trigger pull and firing the +P ammo which is the biggest weakness I face right now with my 38 special. I guess I could purchase them, then sell them on Ebay if I didn't like them.

Bubsy
Old July 24, 2008, 09:17 AM   #10
eastbank

i just put a set of CT grips on a old s&w 60 in 38spl., at 10 yds in the day light it,s easy to keep all five shots in a 3 inch group or smaller shooting double action, at 10 feet the five shot group is about the size of a quater shooting double action. the grips are LG-105 defender s&w j-frame round butt. and are the cheaper ones without a on and off switch,they just have a front activation button. as i have trouble seeing the stubbie,s sights, i realy like the CT grips. eastbank.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:23 PM   #11
armoredman

Very handy, easy to use.
Old July 25, 2008, 02:21 PM   #12
kurtiss

The lasergrips are great, especially on the revolvers. You can see them just fine during the daytime inside, or outside out to about 7 to 10 yards.
Old July 26, 2008, 04:26 PM   #13
eastbank

just fired 80 shots cci lawman 158gr HP,s +p,s. to sight it in and to see if it would hold zero. it did and i can shoot 3inch or better groups at 30-35 feet double action. i will try it at 25 yards next week-end from a rest. i like then alot. eastbank.
Old August 26, 2008, 11:16 PM   #14
Bubsy

Deciding which Crimson Trace Grip?

These past couple of weeks, I've been shooting my new S&W 22 model 41 so I haven't had time to think about the Laser Grips that I want for my S&W 67 revolver. Two are offered for my K frame square butt...
the LG207's for around $195 and the LG307 Hoghunter for about $255. I've been shooting my 67 with the +P's since 38 ammo is hard to get here in the NYC/Long Island area these days. So I'm deciding between the 207's and the 307's sight unseen (no pun intended) since I plan to order online.

Anyone have any preference between these two?

Thanks,

Bubsy
Old August 27, 2008, 10:18 AM   #15
NineInchNails

The LG307 looks cooler and the style of the grip looks like it might be more comfortable depending on the size of your hand. Too bad you can't try em first.

LG207

LG307

I personally do not know what the purpose is for the 2 different styles, but I'm sure there is a purpose.
Old August 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #16
velocette

Bubsy, I have CT laser sights on 3 of my handguns. 1 J frame snubby , one Kimber compact .45 and a full sized GM .45. Had them for several years now.
On all of them, they are good out to about 15 yds in full daylight. Anywhere else, they are superb.
At night when things go Bump, that laser is the greatest. Only on when you squeeze the switch, You know exactly where your shot will go. You do not have to find or align your sights, which is rather nice in the dark.
Change the batterys once a year and rock on.

Roger
Old August 27, 2008, 01:20 PM   #17
darkgael

laser grips

I have a set on a .38 snubbie. Very useful in lowlight conditions as long as it's not raining/misty/foggy. They work then, too but the beam is visible and leads directly back to you. That may not be desirable. Then, again, it may not matter.
About legal lasers - showed up on another thread also. You can legally purchase handheld lasers up to 600mw. The CT laser is 5mw. I'd like to assume that CT knows what they are saying when they note that theirs is the most powerful that you can legally own but there are many sites that offer more power than 5mW.
See this link if you are curious. Handheld pointers in the 10mW and 15mW range are easy to come by and affordable. Be hard to mount on firearms, though. The CT at 5mW is plenty bright.
http://www.techlasers.com/?gclid=COe...FQNfFQodUDkaZQ
Pete
Old August 28, 2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Jermtheory

Quote:
5mw peak, 633nm, class IIIa laser. Maximum output that federal law and technology allow.-Crimson Trace
hopefully someone with some more technical knowledge on the subject will chime in.

It's been fun(in part).
Old August 28, 2008, 08:44 PM   #19
tranks

i went to the range this morning because i finally got my laser grips all mounted up and just needed to sight them in.

the weather was over cast slowly becoming sunny.

with light cloud cover i could just barely see the laser dot at 30 yds, thats right i said 30 YARDS! wow! in indirect sun light i could no longer see it on the target but i could just barely see it on the backboard (had to squint my eyes pretty hard)

i could see it clearly at 10 yds in direct sunlight and could see it pretty good at 20 yds in direct sun light.

the only problem with longer distance aiming (daytime) is sometimes you have to use the gun sights to figure out where the laser dot could be.

and wow does that dot bounce around a lot, even with sandbags i had to work pretty hard to keep it steady. i'm glad no one was there to see it.
it will definitely help me improve my shooting abilities.

(and it would probably help a little if i would get some glasses)

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)

Tags
crimson trace