The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 13, 2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

Hunting AR 15 build recamendations

I am wanting to get into coyote hunting and between my uncles and another post I made here I decided that a AR in .223 would be a decant coyote gun. I have also heard that having a costum built is better than buying a complete one. So I was wondering what should I have on my ar to be the best varment gun? Barrel leinght? Twist? Bull?
Old June 13, 2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The .223's effectiveness stems from velocity, so my preference is for a 20" barrel.

Since one rarely gets more than one or two shots at a coyote, light weight is as good as a heavy barrel. A lightweight barrel commonly keeps the first three shots in a tight group. I'd go with a 1:9 twist.

I don't pretend to know the comparative qualities of the many brands of ARs. Odds are that several models would fit my ideas.

I don't know, offhand, but a flat-top with a conventional scope would be my choice. From my own coyote hunting, any scope from a fixed 4X to a 3-9 variable would do just fine.

FWIW, my bolt-action .223 with its 1:10 twist allows half-MOA groups up to round-nosed 70-grain bullets.
Old June 13, 2016, 03:56 PM   #3
taylorce1

I've shot a lot of AR's over the years and can tell you that an off the shelf AR is all you'll ever need. I haven't found an AR yet that can't produce enough accuracy to kill coyotes way out there. My only recommendation is to get a flat top AR (most are anymore) so you can mount an optic in the 1-4 or 1-6 power range.
Old June 13, 2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Mobuck

My winter EDC AR is a 16" H-Bar with a 2-7x32 ballistic dot scope. I swapped from a 1.5-5x32 last year and feel it was worthwhile. This is a sub MOA shooter with my generic 55 grain handloads. While it adds a little weight, the H-Bar profile makes for a steadier hold-important for those longer shots. I consider this adequate (meaning it will hit every coyote I hold properly on) to 250-275 yards. Beyond this range, bullet performance begins to drop off increasing the "hit but lost rate" in the country where I hunt.
If I expect longer shots with not much walking, I will carry a 20" H-Bar with a 3-9x40 BDC scope but it does get heavy pretty quick.
FWIW The only advantage an AR has over a bolt action is when multiple yoties show up. In this case, I may end up firing 8-10 shots before the episode has ended.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:20 AM   #5
rpseraph

I just built an 18" 223/556 AR (OdinWorks Intermediate gas system) and I am having a GREAT time at the range with a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 AO. Getting less than 1" groups with 62-77 grain factory ammo. I plan to take this one out next winter/spring for coyotes.
Old June 14, 2016, 11:56 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

What's your budget? Custom built stuff costs a lot more than an 'off the rack' rifle. For example, a Rock River match grade LAR-15 starts at roughly $1500.
Read this. http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AR15_part1.asp
"...when multiple yoties show up..." You'll still only have time for one shot before they all disappear at warp speed.
Old June 14, 2016, 12:31 PM   #7
rickyrick

Here is my latest, built for coyotes. I can't remember the cost, I waited out for each part to go on sale.

Previously to that I used a mini14

Old June 14, 2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Chainsaw.

I built a bushmaster reciever, spikes bcg, white oat armorment 20" 1.9 barrel and a cmc 3.5# flat face trigger, shoots great. Good coyote gun but I gotta get better glass on it. Its great to aboit 400 yards but as mentioned bullet performance falls off. You could look into 223 based rounds like 25-45sharps or a 6mm-223 if you reload. And as far as buying, just build your own, nothing to it.
Old June 15, 2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

I have two AR's for coyote hunting, one is a rebuild DPMS, the other is a factory build Armalite.

The DPMS rebuild now has a 20 inch Criterion HBAR barrel, 223 Wylde chamber, 1in8 twist.
It's plenty accurate enough for coyotes, I practice shooting an 8 inch round plate at 300 yards, using my truck bed for support I hit the plate on most shots.

The Armalite is their VSR model (I highly recommend this rifle) with an 18 inch barrel, 223wylde chamber 1in8 twist.
This rifle is very accurate also, again I practice shooting the 8 inch plate at 300yards.

The ammo I'm shooting in both of these guns for practice is PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ, it's not the most accurate ammo I've used but for cheaper practice it does just fine.
For hunting I use 52gr match loaded by Black Hills, accuracy with this ammo is top shelf.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter