The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Browning A500R - Is it worth consideration as a used semi auto?

I'm looking for a semi-auto and know someone who has a Browning A500r for sale. Beyond the claim that it has only had 75 or so rounds through it, I have yet to see it to know condition or if it comes with all the chokes, wood/metal condition, etc.

Unlike some shotguns, this one seems to have a checkered past which may account for its short run. I wonder though how much had to do with bad word of mouth as opposed to actual jamming/malfunctions.

The gun has the new trigger assembly, FWIW.

So, has anyone actually used the Browning A500r? If so, I'd be very interested to hear what your experiences were like.

Price may be around the cost, if not a touch more, than I could get a new Mossberg 930 for. I'm not saying I'd buy either, but just for reference. I'm still thinking about how much I want to spend on my first shotgun.
Old June 16, 2011, 06:53 AM   #2
Saltydog235

We had both of the models the R & G. We no longer have them and didn't keep them very long.

My opinion is we are better off without them.
Old June 16, 2011, 04:12 PM   #3
LSnSC

Ditto the above post. Hunted with an A500G once. That was enough...

IMO, the best value in a new autoloader is the Beretta 390/3901. It will shoot circles around and outlast anything else currently at the same price point. Wally world had the AL390's for about $500 last time I looked.
Ive had one since they came out. I dont know how many thousands of rounds Ive put through it. About 7-8 years ago I put a Sure Cycle kit in it because duck hunting in salt water had eaten up the original. Thats the only thing Ive ever done to it. I actually robbed the carrier off of it to put in my 391 sporting clays gun, until its replacement arrives. So much for new and improved...

Last edited by LSnSC; June 16, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
BigJimP

A500 is not a smart choice ....they were only made for about 5 or 6 yrs ...and have a very spotty reputation.

I've seen a few / but I do not own one ....

I think it was a poor design ...and they didn't sell. Its claim was it had a shorter action so it was supposed to cycle faster. Browning has since moved on with a whole different line of semi-autos with different internals.