The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 20, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Giovanni

3 Gun Match Questions

I've become interested in the 3 gun competitions that are held locally. I'll be observing at least one before taking the plunge in equipment and the like. I have most everything I need already; AR-15 M-4 with Eotech 512; Glock 30-10+1 .45, and a Remington 1100 12 guage.

I have a question on the shotgun barrel length. I believe that the maximum length is 22" would that include any extended choke that may be installed? The smooth bore deer barrels by Remington are 21" with no choke. In order to have 8+1 shell extention I need at least 22". With the choke it might be longer by a bit.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Old November 21, 2010, 04:10 AM   #2
lmccrock

The 22" max length is not followed much, but check with your local match director(s). However, I would expect a match with 22" max would include the choke. Where did you see that rule? Also the old rule about the mag tube not extending more than an inch past the muzzle is rarely used, so whatever mag tube you want would be ok. Some matches would require you to plug it to 8 rounds, depends, so, again, ask the match director.

The Remington 1100 TAC 4 barrel (22") would be good, but they may not sell that one separately. Be sure to get a smooth bore, not rifled, with the deer barrels.

Lee
Old November 21, 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
rjrivero

I wouldn't sweat the barrel length restriction on the shotties. I've never seen anyone get the shotgun measured in local matches. National matches are a different issue....
Old November 22, 2010, 03:19 AM   #4
Jesse Tischauser

I have nver even heard of the barrel length rule. I think most match directors are more concerned about getting shooters out to the matches than what length barrel they have on any gun. We have guys run their bird hunting guns with 28-30" barrels all the time when they first get started. The lighter barrels are nice and fast when it comes to the side to side transitions and going in and out of ports.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
lmccrock

I think the shotgun barrel length rule was an old SOF Match rule, carried over to old IMGA rules. Now matches usually just limit capacity, or number of rounds loaded at start.

Lee