The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1
SMITH910

Good online jacketed bullet places?

Who on line is a trusted seller of jacketed bullets (9mm & .38spl) at fair prices? Also, besides having to clean the barrel more thoroughly, is there any reason especially in 9mm not to use lead cast bullets?
Old March 26, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Sevens

Lots of reasons not to use cast lead bullets.

--make the gun dirtier (you already mentioned this)
--make the entire production of ammo dirtier as you handle them
--airborne lead particles on indoor ranges and excess smoke from the bullet lube (such that many/most indoor ranges no longer allow them)
--so many different sources of cast lead bullets leads to vastly different shooting bullets from each bullet maker... due to size, hardness, make-up, lube, etc etc.
--this is also why folks that supply reloading data are hesitant to provide data for cast lead bullets, as their performance can vary quite a bit from lot to lot

These are all good reasons why many folks don't mess with cast lead bullets, and all of these are valid things to consider when you are trying to decide of cast lead is for you.

But... I still use them more than anything else. I use 'em in 9mm, 10mm, .38 Spl, .45 and .44 Mag. I love 'em. They are my preferred bullet.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
ar15chase

Try Berrys bullets, you can get a box of 250 124gr. HP's shipped for about $30. I dont like lead cast bullets.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:57 AM   #4
RickV

Berry's for plated, Precision Delta for FMJ.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
wellerjohn

Montana Gold...free shipping to.