The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2006, 07:05 AM   #1
garyfdl

6.5 Swede: 1 Load for Mulies AND Antelope?

I'm a Noob, and wasn't sure if this question should go here or in The Hunt forum (Mr. Moderator please move me if I screwed up).

Anyway, here's the Q: Does anyone have, and is willing to share, a good 6.5 combination load for mulie's and 'lopes?

The gun is a Rem. 700 Classic w/ a Timney trigger mounted in a Ram-Line syn stock (the wood was too nice to take into the woods and beat up in the "pucker-brush") and a Shepherd P3 scope. It's my "deer rifle" of choice and IMHO a tack driver: benched I get quarter-sized groups at 100yds w/ Fed and Rem factory ammo, both 140 gr.

I'm set up to re-load for this puppy, but haven't needed to yet (still working off my first 2 boxes of store bought). Based on results on "We's-taxin" whitetails I'm guessing the 140's, while fine for mule deer, are a might heavy for antelope. I'm also a little concerned about the (factory load) accuracy out around 300yds, although they are dead on inside of 200.

I would also like to thank 6.5 "cultists" on the forum for "saving" this gun from me. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a .300WSM, and let my daughter's (and ultimately the grand kids) use the "Swede". However after perusing the archives, I have decided to forgo the new gun for this hunt. I really do like the 6.5. They definately grow on you.

Thx in advance for any help.

Gary
Old August 14, 2006, 07:18 AM   #2
mete

The 6.5x55 factory loads have sadly been reduced . I've always felt that the 140 was the best bullet with it's high SD and BC to hold it's velocity well. 2750-2850 in a modern gun like yours is reasonable ,no sense in pushing it higher.Slower powders like 4350 are the best .My load has been 46gr 4350 ,140gr bullet for 2750 out of my custom M98.With this cartridge loads that give less than 1 MOA should be easy to find .
Old August 15, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Shoney

I have always used the 140 for deer and antelope. If you sight the rifle at 250 yards, the trjectory difference between the 140 and the 129 up to 250 is less than an inch, and at 300 yards is about 1 to 1.5 inches. That way you can aim center of chest out to 300 yards and still hit (no brainer aiming).

Also consider that the wind does blow on the prairie, and the 140 has better performance in the wind.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 15, 2006, 02:33 PM   #4
garyfdl

Thanks guys.

I've been playing w/ the ballistics caclulator on Norma's site to get some ideas about drop, drift, energy etc. I was leaning a bit toward's 129's (I was concerned about the 140's being too "heavy") but I'll go w/ (other's) experience.

My factory SP's are getting a little beat up and I'm thinking about loading a ballistic tip. Now I'm a meat hunter, not a shootist, so my thinking is coming from what I've been reading on this (and other) forums. That said I've also got the impression that the bt's were (are?) prone to expansion problems. Any comments?

"Ya ain't never smelled diesel 'till you snorkel a submarine in a tail wind."
Old August 15, 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
tINY

The boat tail has nothing to do with expansion.

There is an issue with some BT bullets when it comes to keeping the lead and copper jacket together. The flat base tends to hold the lead in better as it has good, sharp corners.

For meat hunting deer and antelope, I don't see how this is going to be an issue. Put it through both lungs and the critter won't get very far if the bullet expands - jacket separation is not going to make the exit hole smaller and there isn't much meat to loose between the ribs.

-tINY

Old August 15, 2006, 06:08 PM   #6
garyfdl

I am SO embarrassed

Sorry tINY,

My bad, I forgot the abbr. for boat tail was bt. I meant ballistic tip.

Somewhere I picked up on that sometimes the ballistic tipped bullets fail to expand resulting in a nice pencil sized hole ventilating the animal. While I like the idea of the protection the plastic tip affords (some of my left-over factory loads are getting droop snoot) I HATE to chase critters (gettin old). As such, I minimize those opportunities, as much as possible, and even if it means passing on a shot.

FTR I do load .44 mag for my Super Redhawk, and Rem 788, on a casual basis. I've got my "pet" loads for each (now I suppose somebody'll want to know what they are and I'll have to find my log ) But I've haven't (had to) load 6.5 yet . I'm hoping to build off someone else's learning curve, and benefit from their experience.

"Ya ain't never smelled diesel 'till you snorkel a submarine in a tail wind."
Old August 15, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
tINY

I haven't heard that Polymer tip (or bronze tip) bullets have trouble expanding. ...as long as there is lead in the nose.

I have had issues with HP bullets designed to split and expand in front of the lead (like Failsafe and Barnes). But, this was at 300 mag velocities within 10 yards of the muzzle.

-tINY

Old August 18, 2006, 08:40 PM   #8
marks655

load for 6.5 swede

My fav hunting load for the swede is:

Sako Hunter:

46gr Hodgdon 4350
120gr Nosler BT
Norma Cases with CCI200 primers
Seated into the lands (3.150" OAL)
chronographs at 2,940 fps at 60 degrees F

I load the same with my 1914 'swede sporter' but I either seat just off the lands, or back-it off to 45 grains.

I have also loaded some 160gr Hornady RN bullets with 43gr H4350 for my brother in Omaha. He claims they are good for medium-sized dinosaurs.