The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 7, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1
S_O_Laban

What oh what do you say at a time like this.

I realize this has been hashed over before (probably several times ) but hey it's a new day and there are probably new people here who might benefit from a fresh discusion.

Your at the local shop -n- rob filling your trusty steed with foreign oil, minding your own business when suddenly a loud voice says " mommy, mommy that man (insert woman here if your of the fairer sex) has got a gun!!" Quickly coming out of condition yellow you scan the parking lot when you see the girl pointing at you. You look down and there it is, your carry piece in all it glory outed by a shirt that obeyed the wind. What do you do? What do you say?

I sorta figure a nice warm smile and a quick " don't worry, I'm one of the good guys" as you recover your carry piece might work. But let's hear your way out of this.
Old September 7, 2004, 08:37 AM   #2
45 Fu

A friendly smile and a nod would probably be OK. If you act like it's no big deal they will probably assume you are a LEO and leave it at that. If you are asked if your are a LEO (and are not) I simply say that I have a permit from the state of ________ to carry a weapon.

The biggest thing is not to let it (if you can help it) become a big deal. Most of the time (rabid and ignorant soccer moms excepted) if you act in a calm manner it help to keeps others calm as well. Nothing makes people more nervous than seeing a man/woman with a gun look like they are getting ill.
Old September 7, 2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Mike in VA

I'd jut smile, cover up and go about my business, no explaination necessary.

I usually waer a sholder rig. Once, as I was walking towards the local supermarket, the wind caught my acked and blew it open in front of a well dressed 60-something lady who got a real good look at Mr SigSauer. I must of blushed or something, she just patted her purse and said, "Smith & Wesson, don't leave home without it."
Old September 7, 2004, 09:20 AM   #4
halromberg

Act like you're in the right, and most folks will assume you are. It's worked for me on several occasions. Funny thing. Kids have really good eyes for concealed weapons. Eye level?
Old September 7, 2004, 05:27 PM   #5
Roadkill Coyote

Children haven't finished training themselves to tune out the world around them the way many adults have. They also aren't afraid to stare at something out of the ordinary long enough to figure out what is is.

There's a lesson to be learned there somewhere...
Old September 7, 2004, 07:38 PM   #6
CarlosDJackal

Smile and wave at the little girl. If I have to something it would be: "Don't worry, I'm a cop."
Old September 7, 2004, 08:12 PM   #7
P95Carry

Key word .. ''noncholance'' .... meaning act like no problem at all. Smile and nod ... and cover up like it was an everyday deal.

Happened to me in a gas station ... shirt had ridden right up and piece was in full view ..... out of truck - gassed up like that - went in to office to pay, like that ..... came out and got into truck .. like that. Then the realization ... and why I had had one or two ''looks'' ... by then I was hidden from view and so adjusted apparel.

My ignorance of the exposure probably showed as noncholance and so no major screaming fits from my audience .. hopefully just thinking ''PI'' or cop ..... watched mirrors all way home in case cops had been called in!!
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site
Old September 7, 2004, 08:23 PM   #8
Jody Hudson

These situations are just a reminder to all of us to stay alert to our gun as well as to our larger surrounds... it is all a part of a very much increased awareness that we must have if we are going to carry...

I don't carry, except when in the woods or on a large piece of property, where I'll be away from my vehicle for a long distance and/or time - because of a dog-pack problem we have here in some places. However, I am nearly always with clients during this time and they are usually Urbanites... Thus, I keep a good awareness on my gun and my surroundings as well as my clients.

Summation: I think perhaps situational awareness must include that of ourselves and our equipment as well as things and people around us... but to put this into perspective - I have found my zipper down a time or two.
Old September 8, 2004, 12:28 AM   #9
S_O_Laban

Thanks for the replies.

A friend of mine on another board posted a story very similar to the situation I listed above. It just so happened that the clerk of the store happened to personally know my friend, and told him after it happened that his face was "white as a sheet." Obviously he wasn't mentally prepared for this to happen. He did say though he sort of knew what to say because of something he read online.

One thing I would like to point out. I feel it's important to go over this possible situation in your mind until it feels "normal" to you. He had the tool (the right words) but wasn't comfortable with handling something like that.
This story drove home (for me anyway ) the need for mental preparation of the many situations one is likely to face when packing. I hadn't considered the fact I need to mentally rehearse possible situations until they become second nature.
Old September 12, 2004, 09:14 PM   #10
jtkwon

One of the problems that I have is that even without my pistol, I am mistaken for a police officer. Not by regular people, but by policemen. Not infrequently, but often. And no, I'm not wearing any uniform, pieces of uniform, other gear, etc. I've never been a LEO, nor would I want to be.

More than once I've been asked if I have a spare set of handcuffs (when I was present at an emergency room altercation was the best one - they insisted that I must have at least a pair).

I have gone out of my way to insist that I am not a policeman. For some reason, even after the insistence, they don't seem to mind that I'm carrying. So in that sense, it's not a problem. But I seem to be immune to ticketing and other LEO activity, and they all seem amazed that I'm not one of them.

Maybe it's the haircut.
Old September 12, 2004, 09:26 PM   #11
Hard Ball

Take Off The Black Jack Boots! :d
Old September 16, 2004, 09:03 PM   #12
woodland

I seem to have the same effect as jtkwon. I have been thought to be a cop and military quite often. I think it is the hair cut and I am fairly fit, and the posture. Standing straight with shouders squared, no slouching, like most of todays young men seem to do.
That is probably also why I have never had any "trouble" with people who are normaly trouble makers. My inlaws own a bar and restaraunt, and they say when I hang out in their bar, they never have problems, and people think I'm the bouncer or a cop.
Oh well, guess it keeps me out of trouble.
Old September 18, 2004, 11:18 AM   #13
william4809

Something similar has actually happened to me before, but it actually turned into a rather embarrasing situation for me. Usually, I will put my piece back in my truck when I'm rather sure I won't need it so I was attempting to do just that. I prefer to be discreet with my sidearm, and sometimes the place is just too packed with people in the parking lots so I will just leave it on me.

Anyways, it was a busy night at a local video store, and I kept it on me when I headed to the store to grab a movie or two (never got the films...). Just as soon as I stepped onto the sidewalk I heard the *Klunk of my piece falling from out of my back, and onto the sidewalk below. Needless to say, the area around me cleared very quickly. I do not understand why people (namely young-adult males) panic so drastically when actually faced with such a situation.

So, two younger women scurried to the adjacent gas station where a local cop was filling up his patrol car, but I was completely unaware of that at that time. After I collected my pistol off the sidewalk I decided to head back to the truck and get out of there to ease up the emotional stress I put on the crowd. I was very calm and aware of the situation, but I had no idea there was an officer behind me drawing his sidearm until I heard "Hey! Stop right there!". I immediately knew that it was a cop by hearing him talking on his radio to dispatch.

He checked me out and I showed him my CCW, and we proceeded to discuss the situation. I told him exactly what happened and he informed me that I made the right decisions, but at the wrong time. He was telling me to be a bit more careful and advised me on a better way to carry (belly holster) because it's a lot easier to feel the pistol rocking out of a holster there than it is in the back.

Well, that was one of the most embarrasing situations of my life.

William
Old September 18, 2004, 08:49 PM   #14
DT Guy

Well, someone's got to say it-

Keep it hid better.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old September 18, 2004, 11:56 PM   #15
william4809

Quote:
Keep it hid better.
I can tell by the extent of the post that either you don't have a CCW, have never carried for a long period of time, or have had a great streak of luck where you never made a mistake while carrying. Anyone, who carries, can tell you that no matter how careful you are there's always a chance of your piece spilling out at the wrong time. I remember sitting in a banquet to hear veteran (20-30 yr) cops, FBI and ATF officials talking about spilling their piece at the wrong time.

William
Old September 19, 2004, 06:35 AM   #16
Powderman

I'm fortunate in this aspect. I have been outed twice, both by kids, and both times in the manner stated that started this thread.

Each time, I turned around to find a number of soccer moms staring at me with horror.

The saving grace was my response: after pasting on the biggest smile I could work up, I pull up the outergarment even further. Then, the folks could see the badge and handcuffs.

After the second time, I got longer outerwear. Being outed is no fun.
Old September 19, 2004, 10:07 AM   #17
jtkwon

I was in the military (enlisted in the infantry). But I've never been LEO.

You may be right. I still have the really short hair, and I never slouch.

Not a speck of fat, either.

I remember one time being pulled over (I'm always in a suit and tie) because my rear window had been broken. Kids had stolen my stereo (again), and I had driven over to the glass shop for an estimate, and was driving home.

The policeman came up on the passenger side, took one look at me, and said, "you don't look like a car thief". We talked about the window, and he kept insisting that somehow, somewhere, he remembered working with me as an LEO.

Of course, being friendly and keeping your hands in plain sight doesn't hurt, either.

When I'm pulled over, I put my keys, license, and registration on the roof, and turn on the interior light. My hands stay on the wheel unless he wants to hand me something. Not once, even though I may have been speeding or ran a light, have I ever gotten a ticket when I did this. Some of my friends got more of a ticket than they bargained for when they were mouthy with the LEO. My personal favorite was the friend who got an on the spot vehicle inspection courtesy of the state police - after being pulled over for minor speeding.
Old September 21, 2004, 01:46 AM   #18
User Name

Quote:
Well, someone's got to say it-
Keep it hid better.
Quote:
I can tell by the extent of the post that either you don't have a CCW, have never carried for a long period of time, or have had a great streak of luck
I completley agree..If you carry on a daily bases your bound to either spill your weapon (usualy due to buying a cheap holster before you learn the hard way you get what you pay for**how many of us have that experience??**...or by getting so lax that you don't feel the "creep" as someone stated above** or your gonna have someone spot it (wind blows, you reach for something that pulls your shirt/jacket tail up or tight across you shoulder holster, or you shirt/jacket will snag getting in or out of your vehicle).
It's has or will happen...Like mentioned above kids are great receptors...they see and understand way more than we give them credit for...the couple of times it's happened to me, I've just smiled and winked (if it's a one on one like described in the scenerio) also the fact that you automaticly go into "yellow" mode and start scanning the area instead of automaticly trying to cover your own piece actualy works to your advantage...they assume your a PI or off duty officer...it's never been a realy big scene for me..
Someone mentioned saying "it's ok, I'm a cop" and thats cool...if you are...I wouldn't suggest a civillian using that one...
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!

Last edited by User Name; September 21, 2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old September 21, 2004, 01:11 PM   #19
Archer1440

Quote:
Smile and wave at the little girl. If I have to something it would be: "Don't worry, I'm a cop."
Bad idea if you are not one. Illegal in my state in fact. Then again, so is allowing your weapon to be seen or even identified through printing.

Quote:
I can tell by the extent of the post that either you don't have a CCW, have never carried for a long period of time, or have had a great streak of luck
Hmm, perhaps some of us make our own luck, by being aware of our weapon and surroundings at all times, and dressing apporopriately ?

Last edited by Archer1440; September 21, 2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old September 22, 2004, 09:12 PM   #20
DT Guy

Actually, an LEO for many years. And never 'outed', to the best of my knowledge. In fact, I took great pains to avoid it, as a lone officer with a single weapon, no radio and out of his home town (read that as 'not known to responding units') has no real advantage except surprise. The simple fact is that there are far more situations in which being ID'd as an LEO or CCW puts you at risk than times it works to your advantage.

I think that with proper holster and firearm selection, some care in choosing your clothing (I'm not 'stylish', and I'm sure that worked for me) and a modicum of care, it's pretty easy to avoid having your pistol noted by a casual observer. It is certainly the GOAL, AFA I'm concerned.

Just my .02,

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old September 22, 2004, 09:59 PM   #21
Jody Hudson

Thanks for the REALITY check DT Guy!

I am a long time acquaintance with two undercover law enforcement folks and long time friends with several more LEOs who are always armed. This discussion has encouraged me to speak to, call and write to each of them. The summation of the response is that the same people who are not aware enough of the gun and where it is and how it can be discerned; are similar to the people who have negligent discharges and call them accidental.

The situation is one of different degrees of negligence. I know I have been guilty of negligence in some areas as well; spelling, driving, walking at night without really maintaining a high awareness, not washing fruit… but I seek always to not do it again. Different areas of responsibility and/or negligence have different levels of repercussions and dangers.

In another area, to put this into a prospective to one many are guilty of; is not looking both ways when going through a green light or running a yellow light without knowing the consequences. I worked at busy intersections for several months, all over the country. Negligent green light runners were constantly, at every light, hit by negligent yellow light or red light runners. Some died.

Showing a concealed gun may not always be deadly dangerous; but for my two long term acquaintances in deep cover… it probably is. For civilians and regular police who show a concealed gun it is usually a matter of embarrassment.

OR, as one cop I've known since first grade, who has worked all over America and some parts overseas; as that person put it, there are a small portion of CCW holders who want people to know they are “holding” as a show of masculinity or a show that they may be a cop… that person had disdain for those who show.

Personally, I think it is just one more area for a CCW holder to stay alert all the time to self... and self appearance in all ways... as well as surroundings.
Old September 24, 2004, 06:39 PM   #22
pbass

I never thought of the problem, consciously, that is, but I just ordered an LFI holster for my K-frame and specified a thumb break without really thinking about it. And when it came time to holster my new microKahr, besides the pocket holsters, I figured I ought to have an IWB just to have one, and I got it straight-up for appendix carry. I'm also thinking about SmartCarry for my G17. There are lots of ways to avoid uncovering or dropping.

I asked a local deputy a question in the neighborhood library (about when they were going to get around to sending me a charity appeal letter, which it turns out they don't do) while wearing a P32 in a front pocket holster and during our talk he pointedly looked at my pocket twice. Probably my microKahr shows even more, but it seems that in general, concealment means having it covered up with no Brownie points lost for "tells."
Old November 6, 2004, 05:41 PM   #23
joerng

happens to us all

i think anyone that has carried for awhile has had that happen to them.
i shoot at the range alot most of the time i am good for at least 1000 rounds three times a week, so i spend alot of time there. you can get real used to having MR big shot on your hip. so one time i walked into the gas station with my 1911 still on my hip, the guy behind the counter looked at me like i was the antichrist. i just smerked and giggled, paid and left. it was good for a laugh at work the next day.
i think most people expect to see things like that at some piont in time so just nodding and going about your own business is more than enough. (or you could take it out and show it to the kid simply responding with "teach em while there young"/smile.) lol have fun with this one everyone... joe.
Old December 13, 2004, 02:56 PM   #24
Avizpls

I was at a "party" at a friends house, but didnt know everybody there. I had my pistol in the center of my back IWB. I was continuously bending over, and I'm sure it had been visible for quite sometime whena girl sitting on the couch behind me, shyly and inqusitivly, but without fear asked, "is that real" I immediatly knew what she was tlaking about, reached back and covered it again. I smiled and said "yea, sorry my shirt must have ridden up" Then she asked to see it. Before I talk of what ~I~ did, what would you have done?
Old December 13, 2004, 03:06 PM   #25
mvpel

The first and last time I was made, thanks to failing to tuck in my shirt and leaving my jacket in the car, I found out when I was grabbed from behind by the local police, in a state where open carry is legal.
1 Samuel 13:19