The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Are Any Of You Giving Up Shooting For The Foreseeable Future Like Me?

I was just about ready to join the range at Bass Pro again using some gift cards and rewards points, but I believe I have changed my mind for the foreseeable future. I have decided to give up the thought of shooting for a while simply because I can't replace my ammo if I start shooting the way I would like to. I was really looking forward to re-joining the range, too, since I haven't been able to shoot that much since the last panic hit.

Anyone else putting their time into something else for a while until things 'normalize'?
Old March 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I'm not shooting my reserve ammo and only shoot when I can find range ammo. Since ammo is hard to find, my shooting has declined.

It is getting warmer so I can find a few more things to do outside.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Ruger480

giving up shooting?

I got dibs on Joe_Pikes guns!!!
I'll pm you my FFLs address...
Old March 14, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Oh, I don't plan on giving up shooting. I'm just going to let things return to normal(?) before I start burning through the ammo.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
dajowi

I'll never give it up...I've got plenty of ammo
Old March 14, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
4 Paws

Don't plan on giving up. A trip to the range proves relaxing for me. Just being outdoors and doing a sport I enjoy is worth something. I have enough ammo to easily get into mid summer, by then I hope the panic buying slows down.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
breakingcontact

Quote:
I have decided to give up the thought of shooting for a while simply because I can't replace my ammo if I start shooting the way I would like to.
I'm shooting just a bit less than before, but still shooting. Probably went from once a month to every 5 or 6 weeks.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Giving up? No. Cutting back? Yeah. No ammo around here. Thank goodness it's getting warmer and I can take up archery again.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Slopemeno

...just keeping my wallet closed until the craziness blows over.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:39 AM   #10
LockedBreech

I haven't gone shooting since Newtown. I can't afford to restock.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:13 AM   #11
iraiam

I cut way back, I used to shoot once a week, now I'm down to once a month, I have been shooting range ammo and sitting on my stockpile.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 15, 2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Wyoredman

Don't give up! Buy an air rifle and start shooting competitive air rifle matches. I am sure your Bass-Pro range has a league! It is super fun!
Old March 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #13
noelf2

Get a flintlock or percussion muzzle loader and find a place outside to shoot it. A cap and ball revolver is a lot of fun too, and you can get caps, powder and lead balls for them readily. Can't shoot as fast, but they are fun and can be quite accurate. Don't give up, just slow down.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.

I've got a few thousand primers of all kinds and enough bullets in every caliber that I use that I could shoot 5 times what I normally do in a year and still not run out.

Now, before somebody whines about hording, that's a grand total of about 4 thousand primers and no more than 800 and as few as 200 bullet in every caliber AND I haven't bought a single thing since the panic started.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:02 PM   #15
SPEMack618

I have curtailed over all, stopped shooting center-fire rifle all together, and have refocused on skeet shooting.

Forgot how much fun that was, and field loads are still plentiful at my locals stores.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Mike40-11

No change here. I love my reloading gear more and more everyday as this continues. Plenty of components on hand, I learned after 2008. The only shopping I've done since December is 500 cast .45 bullets ($43) and 2 pounds of powder just because the shop happened to have some H4895 for my Garand available.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:43 PM   #17
rebs

I am not shooting as much but its because of the cold weather, too cold for much shooting outside. So I shoot 22 pistol and rifle indoors at the club. The indoor rifle range for 223 and above is 17.00 per hour, a little too rich for my retired income. When the warm weather rturns I will be back to shooting my rifles outdoors at the club. Membership is 80.00 per year and no fee's to use the ranges at all.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Pianoguy

I'll just shoot what I have (except for the rounds I have for my CC gun) and if things don't go back to normal put it on hold until they do. I have changed in that I don't shoot what I want but what I can find ammo for.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Sweet Shooter

Instead of shooting regularly at the range I have taken to hiking in the snow with a backpack. I sometimes take my shotgun looking for upland game, and I have purchased a new revolver for packing. It's enough for me just to pack my 357 and have piece of mind, and that it matters to have it. It's nice to get away from the range and do a bit of off-roading to my favorite spots in the snow covered hills and walk off, and get some exercise. It actually makes sense and gives a new purpose of owning cool firearms.
-SS-
Old March 15, 2013, 01:12 PM   #20
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Given that ammo prices have pretty steadily increased over the years, I have "joked" about investing in ammo. While in my own life I have purchased a fair amount over the years. I also reload.

It was a sad day when I ran out of under $10 a box 10mm auto that I found on sale many years ago; I bought a bunch. So, when I see that factory 10mm target ammo is going for $40 a box last I looked... let's just say that I really make sure that I am finding my brass! So, not slowing down as much as watching the piles shrink; then again my main discipline in shooting is accuracy, so my pace is a bit slower than many.

Quote:
Thank goodness it's getting warmer and I can take up archery again.
My gear doesn't mind the temps. Now finding arrows under feet of snow; wait for breakup! (Or use a hard tined rake gently once you think you know where it is.) I can't count the number of times that I have "mined for arrows" in the snow. (Part of the game! Guessing where to start digging!)

Now, go figure...
Old March 15, 2013, 02:21 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Giving up? No. Cutting back? Sure. Looking for more affordable ways to shoot? Absolutely. Ammo is 'spensive to replace these days.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:25 PM   #22
MercyfulFate

Nope, but ammo is scarce so if I shoot what I've got left I'll be searching forever.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 15, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23
TheFlash

Nope, not giving up shooting, but spending more time shooting my .22LR pistol rather than my 45 Colt & .357 revolvers or my 9mm or 45ACP pistols.

Gotta keep those shootin' skills fresh any way possible...

-Mike
Old March 15, 2013, 02:40 PM   #24
g.willikers

Firearms shooting is down, but airgun shooting is up.
Lots of others must be doing the same thing, 'cause airgun components are not plentiful, either.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:50 PM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

Cabela's had quite a bit of 45 ACP and 327 mag.

The LGS in Austin had a fair number of EBRs. There may be hope.