The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
shootsafe

loading 357 have question

Using Hornady recipe book

componets
winchester brass 1.290 length
WSPM primer
Win 296 powder 14.5gr, measured powder on 2 separate scales.
bullet hornady 158gr hp-xtp

question
when the charge is dumped in the case, a visual of the powder height tells me the bottom of the 158gr bullet will be slightly compacting the powder charge, when you compare where the crimp line will end up.

Is this normal? OK?
Old October 27, 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
alloy

I use those exact components and I must be compressing them more than 14.5 grains.

Sounds ok if you worked it from a start load and it isn't below minimum by too much.
Hodgdon's list a start at 15.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old October 27, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3
SL1

When you resize cases with a carbide die, it often makes the whole body of the case smaller in diameter than new cases, because it is sizing the body the same as the neck, which needs to be small enough to tightly grip the bullet. That makes the case volume less than a new case.

Hornady says not to compress their "spherical" powders, although other ball powder manufacturers do publish loads that are compressed.

The last couple of issues of Handloader Magazine showes data that indicates a velocity DROP as H110 is increased the last step to max. The author is still trying to figure-out what is happening.

Under the circumstances, I would not compress the powder.

One thing that you can do is size the cases full-length with the body of a Lee Factory Crimp Die. That makes the body about the same as an unfired case. Then, use the normal carbide sizer die to size just the mouth end of the case as far as the bullet will be seated. That provides for the necessary bullet grip while maintaining normal case capacity for the powder.

SL1
Old October 27, 2010, 09:03 PM   #4
shootsafe

The rest of the story

If it does not seem right, stop and think about it.

I emptied the contents from my powder drop into a clear container and could see I had 2 different powders. I somehow had left some win 231 in the powder drop holding tank. I had been loading some 9mm a couple days ago and failed to get it completely empty before finishing.

When I eye balled my 1st 357 reload charge charge of 296, it just did not look right. My 1st thougt was to stop and ask for advice on the forum. It gave me time to think and be careful. Could have been a very bad situation with several rounds completely overloaded.

I learned my lesson, empty and recheck before switching powders.

Shootsafe
Old October 27, 2010, 09:08 PM   #5
alloy

Nice catch, that would have been a hot one.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

I don't have my notes here, but I use similar components on my "hot" 357 loads, except for the fact that I use Starline brass. I distinctly remember using a charge of 15.6 gr of 296 powder. I kind of did an eyeball look into the case and it didn't "appear" that I would be compressing the powder. I almost never get into compressed loading, it seems weird to me. I suppose I could devise a more precise way to actually measure where the top of the powder is compared to the base of the bullet. Anyway, with 15.6 gr, the load performs extremely well in my Blackhawk. Actually, that load shoots way more accurately than my mild loads with cast bullets.