The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 13, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1
brotus2

Regent 9 shot 22

I have a Regent 9 shot DA 22 that I inherited. I have never shot it - just sat in the box in the safe for the last 13 years. My SIL took it out the other day and took it apart and cleaned it. We took it to the range to shoot and low and behold - no 22 cartridge will fit in the cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's up with that!!!!!
Old May 13, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

I've never heard about a 9 shot, just 8 shots. What I'm thinking is that it might actually be a .22 short pistol, not a long or rifle. Which would, in theory, allow slimmer cylinder walls and the 9 shot cylinder. I personally wouldn't be too thrilled to shoot a Regent .22, myself. Iver Johnson and H&R are about the only low end .22's from the by gone era that I'd be excited to shoot.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
brotus2

Just checked it out. It is an 8 shot 22 Long Rifle.

Last edited by brotus2; May 13, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:01 PM   #4
twhidd

My father had one of those years ago. He kept it in his sock drawer. I think he told me once he gave someone $20 for it. I'm not sure whatever happened to it after he died. It was pretty crude, although I remember it feeling better than other "saturday night specials" that I've handled from that era. I remember light hammer strikes being a problem with it. But as I look back, it could have just been the ammo.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:07 PM   #5
SigP6Carry

The Regent 8 Shot should be able to fire .22LR ammo. I've got an IJ Sealed 8 that has ALOT of trouble after firing a few hundred rounds with fouling in the cylinder keeping the rounds from seating correctly. I'd always take a brush with me to the range to "spot-clean" the cylinders. I'd have to spend forever cleaning the cylinder out with Hoppes #9 and a brass brush to get the rounds to fluidly drop in and out after each range session. .22 ammo is pretty dirty (cause of how cheaply it's manufactured), so I'd recommend spending a lot of time cleaning the cylinder out. It could be just be some nasty fouling preventing the rounds from seating correctly (strangely enough: two cylinders of Colibri rounds in my IJ would prevent me from seating any other .22lr without scrubbing the cylinder out).