The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Frostback

Radom Vis P-35 New Magazine Does Not Finish

I have a Radom Vis P-35 with one original magazine. I scoured the internet looking for original magazines, alas, was forced to purchase newly manufactured magazines from Triple K Manufacturing. I'm not bashing Triple K at all, the magazines are top quality. Unfortunately, they seem a tad bit thicker than the original. The magazine binds about 1/2" before seating completely. Is it OK to use a Dremel to slightly trim down the top edge and thin out the magazine around the "ears" in order for it to fit properly. Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Pictures can be provided upon request.

C.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Old Guard Dog

Use Dykem or even a majic marker on the mag to see exactly where it is binding. That'll help you make a decision.
Old November 15, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Jim Watson

You can modify it and see if you can get it to fit, feed, and function or you can send it back. A local guy said "They are not real good quality, but they are guaranteed, I just kept sending them back until I got one that worked."
Old November 16, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the top of the magazine might be binding on the magazine catch. Because the mag is not original, I do NOT suggest altering the catch. Remove the slide and look down in the mag well to try to determine where the mag is binding before going to the Dremel tool. The magic marker or Dykem will help if necessary.

Jim
Old November 18, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Frostback

Solution found, thanks for the advice!

After field stripping the pistol I was able to see much more clearly where the jam occurred. The new magazine actually caught on the top grip screw. A minor bit of grinding the screw down with the dremmel did the trick. The magazine catch did not work, the slot in the new magazine was not cut high enough (toward the top of the magazine). Another slight grind with the dremmel again and viola, I have two more magazines for my Radom. Thanks for the advice!

Any reason why my new magazines would be produced with thicker metal than the original? Perhaps war time demanded stretching resources? The original magazine's metal is .026" thick. The magazine is actually .465" wide. The new magazine is constructed of .032" thick metal and is 0.475" wide. The original magazine wobbles slightly inside the pistol when shaken around, whereas the new magazines do not.
Old November 19, 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The maker of the repro probably used something common, like 20 gauge auto sheet metal, which would be close to your measurement. Repros also are sometimes made thicker than the originals because they make them of mild steel and don't/can't heat treat the feed lips.

If they work, they work and better than no magazine at all.

Jim