The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Sonick

Just got a Mossberg Maverick 88....

So I sold my Davis P-380 for $100 and paid $150 for a brand new in the box Mossberg Maverick 88. I am looking to get a Pistol Grip, Weapon Light, case, and a side mount shell holder. Does anyone know of a good place to get these accessories? Also, for HD, what ammunition should I use? Anything else you would recommend me adding to this? I am going to take it to the range on Sunday just to get a feel for the gun, but after that it will sit by my bed hoping it never has to be used.

Thanks in advance for the comments/advice, this is my first post here!
Old April 28, 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
TxGun

I would not recommend a pistol grip only stock because you lose too much versatility. A buttstock with pistol grip however, is just fine. For HD, you want Buckshot, IMO. #1 is very good. Many like the old standby, 00. #4 is the smallest Buck, and does have it's fans. Personally I wouldn't go any smaller (that gets you into birdshot). There are a few birdshot fans when discussing in-home defense scenarios. They like the "less penetration" aspect. But because birdshot penetrates less, it's less sure to stop an assailant. There are a lot of places to get supplies. Brownells, Cabela's, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt. Google "shotgun accessories" and a lot of sources should come up. Some items, especially ammo, are in short supply right now.

Last edited by TxGun; April 28, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
oldone

This is my "88". You can see I keep it with the shoulder stock, the pistol grip looks fine but hard to control....take it to a range and spend some time with both.
For home defense use birdshot. At 25 feet the patern will be about the size of a large orange. It will do the job.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
LordofWar

Maverick's a good choice.

I would recommend Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshots.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
ar15chase

I also have a Maverick, great shotgun for the price. I keep no.4 turkey loads in mine for HD.

Hey oldone, do you think you have enough ammo attached to that one to take care of a BG? I would suggest a few more shells, just in case you run out. Now I feel inadequate with my sissy 5 rnd, butt-stock shell holder.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
LordofWar

hahaha he's got breakfast, brunch, lunch, hightea, evening tea & dinner for the BG.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:53 PM   #7
LordofWar

He's kind of missing slugs though. That'd probably do for a nighty night snack.
Old April 28, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Sonick

Wow guys, thanks for all the great advice! Good lord that's alot of ammo.
Old April 28, 2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Smartipants

Ammo for Maverick 88

I got 00 LE Low Recoil ammo for my Maverick 88. Supposed to be less penetrating collaterally. Wouldn't trust my life to birdshot but it's great to practice with. I love my shotgun and recommend it highly to all.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
wnycollector

Congrats on the new 88. I have a 20" security and love it!

Whenever I pick up a new (or new to me) gun (shotgun, rifle or pistol) that I plan on using for serious purposes...I like to know that its working correctly For a shotgun, I would run at least 100 rounds of bird shot through it just to make sure there were no manufacturing issues/defects that might cause problems. I would then I would clean and buff the internals as per this link
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hreadid=141509
Now I would run another 100 rounds of whatever ammo I was going to load it with...again to see if there are any problems. Concurrent with this 100 rounds I would pattern my shotgun at the longest shot I could concievibly take in my house. For me that is ~11 yards. Here is a link on how to pattern http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=11817

I load my HD shotgun with low recoil fiocchi 00 buckshot. I think most brands of 00 buck will do the job for you. If you are worried about over penetration, check out #4 buckshot.

Finally I would suggest checking out this short clip from clint smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw
Old April 28, 2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Howaido

Quote:
So I sold my Davis P-380 for $100 and paid $150 for a brand new in the box Mossberg Maverick 88.
Nominated for best post ever.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Sonick

Yeah, I made sure to make it a point that I basically paid $50 for this gun. I didn't pay a dime for that Davis POS, it was given to me. I have a Davis 32 also but I'm just going to keep that for giggles.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:43 PM   #13
Sonick

I'm going to add some accessories to make this a nice looking / fun / B.A. HD gun. The following list is what I've comprised. Does anyone have any experience with any of these mods, have a better recommendation, or know of somewhere cheaper to get them? It's broken down into two orders because I won't be able to afford to order it all at once.

Mossberg Maverick 88 Accessories From http://www.combathunting.com

MOSSBERG SHOTGUN 500 TOP FOLDING STOCK ATI $49.50 TFS0600ATI
UNIVERSAL SHOTGUN 12 GAUGE SHOTSHELL HOLDER ATI $10.25 SHO0500
Deluxe Shotgun Heatshield With Ghost-Ring Sights $21.50 SBS4600ATI
Total $99.10 with Tax & Shipping

Black Tactical Flashlight Luxeon LED Super Bright $29.95 TTFLBNCS
Tactical Flashlight Wired Pressure Switch $12.95 AFWSNCS
ATI Shotgun Flashlight Laser Barrel Clamp & Stud $8.95 SMC1100ATI
Total $65.28 with Tax & Shipping

Mod Cost $164.38
Gun Cost $150.00 (Minus the $100 put towards it from the FREE Davis I sold)
Total Cost $314.38 (^^^^^ really makes it a $214.38 investment)
Old April 28, 2009, 10:07 PM   #14
TxGun

ATI isn't the best quality. It's serviceable, but not much more than that.

Pistol-gripped buttstock....look into Speedfeed.
Heat shield (not really necessary...more for appearance)...look into Mossberg's own version.
Flashlight...look at Surefire or Streamlight.

These are all reputable, proven products. And there are others just as good. Do your research.

Really, my best advice is 1) get some experience with the gun before buying a lot of accessories. 2) Be more concerned with functionality than flash. 3) Always buy the best equipment you can afford, even if you have to wait to save, rather than buying something cheap, or because you like the picture. And finally, 4) a lot of "stuff" hanging off your shotgun rarely makes it better for it's real purpose.

All just MO, of course. No offense intended.

Last edited by TxGun; April 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM.