The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 29, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
tpcollins

Proper installation of dove tail rings

I've seen a slotted type wrench used to install dove tail rings, a taped up Cresent wrench, and a "scope bar" - (rod, pipe, dowel, whatever). If a scope bar is used, I assume it's ok to tighten it down in the ring and then turn the ring into the base? I'm sure some has used their scope but I don't think I'll do that to my new scope! Thanks.
Old December 29, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
tINY

The only dovetail rings I have are the Burris double dovetail. I only got them because the new style Savage action was just out an there weren't a lot of scope-base options yet.

I used the lapping bar from my kit to turn them in - worked great.

-tINY

Old December 30, 2009, 03:35 AM   #3
10-96

I'll throw in another 'improper' method that I used on the last two I put in. I used the rubber coated handles of a pair of channel lock pliers. Y'know- put the bottom portion of the ring between the handles, grip in both hands, and turn. I keep meaning to buy the teflon (or whatever) wrench- but it never seems to come down to remembering when I make a Borwnells order. I don't like to do the bar method as it seems that the less twisting torque I put on the cap screws and 'ears'- the better it is for the rings. I use the Burris Signature rings with the inserts and I really like em a lot, but even with the cushioning of the inserts- I would never subject my scopes to twisting in rings.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.