The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2000, 02:31 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Has anybody ever heard of Ultra Sonic Cleaners removing blued finishes?
Old October 12, 2000, 05:54 PM   #2
Circlesqr

Yes, it can happen but it's mostly a function of the cleaning solution strength and the length of time the item spends in the cleaning tank.
--Daniel
Old October 13, 2000, 12:26 AM   #3
fubsy

You bet.....back in 80-82 the company i worked for had one that I could put the barrels and action for a doublebarrel shotgun in.....I got busy forgot them and came back and yep they were stripped.......its why I wont use them....but with care they work.....i would be curious if any long time users have noticed any "fading" in the quality of the blueing from this process, I mean if it will strip wouldnt it appear that continued exposure would gradually affect the blueing?......fubsy.
Old October 13, 2000, 01:01 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I tried a recoil plug and the cleaner stripped almost all the bluing off. I got brave and tried a slide and it didn't do anything to it. I'd still wager that over the course of time, the bluing will fade on the slide with continuous usage in the ultrasonic cleaner.

However, there hasn't been any negative effects on stainless steel.
Old November 20, 2000, 11:50 AM   #5
JNewell

Has anyone had bad experiences with parkerized parts, such as my favorite hard to clean part, the AR-15 bolt?

With older parts, I can see an ultrasonic cleaner changing the color because it might blast loose all the oil, grease and linseed/tung oil that had soaked into the surface over the years. I'm wondering if any more serious damage could be done?