The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2002, 12:30 AM   #1
stephen b

Turret presses

Greetings fellow reloaders,
I'm thinking of graduating up to a turret press and am wondering if there were any disadvantages to using them. What company rules the roost in the world of turret presses? It looks to me like they can be used one of two ways, either like a sooped up single stage press or a budget model progressive. Is this a correct assesment of these new fangled contraptions? Has anyone read any reports on their quality and success?
Thanks, I needed that.

stephen b.
Old August 21, 2002, 12:48 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dillon pretty much sets the standards for turret presses.

There aren't too many downsides to turret presses.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 21, 2002, 02:16 AM   #3
blades67

I think the Lee turret press is like a souped up single stage press. The AT 500 is an entry level progressive. It starts out like a turret press, but with a couple of upgrades you have a complete RL550B.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:50 AM   #4
NG Bruce

The granddaddy of them all the current brands is the Redding #25 - it has been around since the mid-1960's. In the 2002 Redding catalog they have upgraded the press from a 6-hole, turret to a 7-hole model and have completely redesigned the main body casting. In pricing the available turret presses start on the low end with the Lee, then Lyman, then RCBS and finally Redding. Dillon makes a turret that serves as an upgradeable platform to a progressive. The other four are "permanent turrets" (no upgrade packages.)

I love my #25 Redding - it is hell-for-stout and extremely smooth. I have mine set up for exclusively for the 45 Colt; one turret hole used for a carbide sizer, one for the expander and the other four holes each have a seater/crimper set up for the four different .45 caliber bullets I use in my different 45 Colt loads. I never have to readjust a die. All of the manufactures offer extra turrets that can be changed out so you can set up for different calibers without having to set your dies up each time - the Lee is the easiest to change out. I started out with the Lee turret (about $50.00 mail-order) but moved up several years ago to the Redding (about $180.00 mail order). I have a Rockchucker and a RCBS Pro-2000 progressive and use them both - but the turret really has its place for me in revolver loading.

NG Bruce