The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2002, 12:47 PM   #1
anand

sleeving BHP barrels & silver solder

My Gunsmith tells me that it might be difficult to sleeve a 9mm BHP barrel down to .30 Luger/Mauser,
the reason being that the original 9mm barrel is silver soldered together from two components (chamber and barrel?) and when the sleeve is being silver soldered the original solder might melt.

Is this true, if so how would the problem be solved?

I have read a few posts here mentioning sleeving.

Thanks,
Anand
Old December 13, 2002, 04:17 PM   #2
Alex Johnson

I suppose you could use acra-glass to glue it in place. This is commonly done in other sleeving operations, but I don't know if it would be strong enough for that cartridge or not. Otherwise I would just use a low temperature silver solder. I'm not familiar with that part of BHP lore, but if it's true they probably used a high temp solder for that part so you'd likely be ok with the lower temp stuff. Still it's a job I would not care to do.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 13, 2002, 08:14 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

A number of later model guns have sleeved barrels. Many of the newer 1911's have a two piece barrel, and I think the Brownings do to. These are actually brazed together with modern materials, not the original silver solder.

Attempting to sleeve an already thinner pistol barrel is going to be tough. There is a big difference in relining or sleeving a .22 or an older low powered black powder type firearm like a Winchester lever rifle. Soft solder, permanent Loc-Tite, and epoxy will work well on those because of the lower pressures.

The problem is not only the two piece barrel, but the thinness of the barrel.

However, a good option would be to remove the original brazed-in barrel from the original breech and locking lug section, and install a new barrel portion. This should work quite well, since that's the way the barrel unit was made to start with. The original might be removable by heating, or by simply drilling the barrel portion out of the breech portion.
To assemble the new barrel portion would be a simple matter of turning the rear of the barrel "sleeve: to fit the breech portion, turning the front to the required diameter, and brazing it in place.
The unit would be cleaned up, chambered and test fired.

The only other option is to see if Bar-Sto barrels will make you a .30 Luger HP barrel.
Old December 13, 2002, 11:44 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The two piece BHP barrel is brazed, not soldered. You should be able to soft solder a barrel sleeve, anyway. Silver solder is overkill.

But why not try a call to Browning. FN made/makes the BHP in 7.65 Parabellum (.30 Luger) for sale in countries which prohibit possession of military caliber guns by civilians.

Jim
Old December 14, 2002, 08:09 AM   #5
Jim V

Remember .30 Luger is not .30 Mauser. Two different cartridges.