The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 21, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
captneil19

magna port or not

My wife fell in love with my ruger 45 long colt 7.5 in.,but she says it kicks too much for her.I'm using 8 gr. Of win 30 an 250 gr.Swc bullets which gives me 1,400 fps,I could cut back on the powder but it shoots at its best with this.So I thought about getting it magna ported like my other big calipers,maybe that will help.Although I never heard of anyone doing that to a 45 colt.I told her to suck it up an she said fix it I like this pistol lol
Opinions
Old July 21, 2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Sharkbite

On a non defensive big bore revolver.... Why not?

If it makes her happy and she wants to shoot it, make it comfortable for her. If you decide to hot rod the cartridge a bit then magna-porting will work to your benifit as well

I dont see a downside
Old July 21, 2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Nullcone

Say What?

Quote:
I'm using 8 gr. Of win 30 an 250 gr.Swc bullets which gives me 1,400 fps
You're using how much of what to get 250gr @1400fps???

Quote:
I told her to suck it up
I'm betting she didn't have the pistol in hand during this exchange
Old July 22, 2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Gdawgs

Yeah I'm with Nullcone on this one, something isn't adding up. Pretty sure there is no Win 30 powder. And I don't believe there is any powder out there that you could get those velocities with only 8 grains.

For those velocities you need a slow powder (2400, H110, Lil Gun, 4227, etc.) which require much more powder (20+ grains).

But anyway, with regard to the magna porting, if you are reloading anyway, I wouldn't waste my money on magna porting. Just get a different powder and make her some wimpy loads. Trail Boss works great. If you are just target shooting and not hunting, there's no reason for them to be that hot.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Work up a target load for her. Mag-na-porting will significantly increase the muzzle blast and noise. If she doesn't like it now, she'll really hate it ported.
Your Space bar isn't working.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:11 PM   #6
jglsprings

Well, It kinda looks like you reload here...

Quote:
My wife fell in love with my ruger 45 long colt 7.5 in.,but she says it kicks too much for her.I'm using 8 gr. Of win 30 an 250 gr.Swc bullets which gives me 1,400 fps,I could cut back on the powder but it shoots at its best with this.So I thought about getting it magna ported like my other big calipers,maybe that will help.Although I never heard of anyone doing that to a 45 colt.I told her to suck it up an she said fix it I like this pistol lol
Opinions
I'm assuming some sort of typo on the load info above...

Why don't you just build a box or two of lighter loads for her to shoot?

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; July 22, 2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Colt46

How about loads in normal pressure range?

A 250 grain bullet at 1,000fps ought to be about right for a large frame like the ruger. It will do most anything you want and be easier to shoot for all.

Porting often solves a problem that doesn't exist. And it's very loud. I'd be willing to bet you will shoot just ONCE without ear protection using a ported handgun.
Old July 22, 2014, 07:11 PM   #8
caz223

Porting is really loud.
I took a CCW class with about 20 people.
We paired off, and my partner had a taurus .38 snubby that was ported.
I had a SP2340 in 357SIG (Known to be loud.).
His gun with basic .38 ammo was louder than my gun with full power winclean !!!!!!

Last edited by caz223; July 22, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old July 23, 2014, 06:41 AM   #9
WC145

If it's just a range/fun gun, load her some cowboy type rounds and let her have at it. Giving up a bit of accuracy for her comfort and pleasure shouldn't be an issue. Plus, I can see her point, 250gr bullets at 1400fps could get tiring before too long.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old July 23, 2014, 07:38 AM   #10
feets

Put down the manly-man crap and build her a moderate load.
Too many freaks have to show the whole world how manly they are by having the biggest baddest loudest gun out there that is too much for someone more delicate than himself. It's usually seen by others as the shooter having a surrogate Mr Happy because the one he was born with isn't big enough.

Yeah, I've launched 200 gr pills at 2700 fps from a handgun so I know all about the big boomers. Even so, I've launched far more 200 gr bullets at 800 fps because it's more fun in the long run. When I am playing with a hard kicker I don't punish others by making them shoot it.

If you want her to keep shooting with you then make it enjoyable for her. Back it down.
Get her a can of Trail Boss or Unique. Load up some ammo and let her decide what she likes best. Who knows? She may actually enjoy shooting and ask to go more often.
Old July 23, 2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Real Gun

Jeez! All you have to do is buy a box of cowboy loads for her to try. It is hardly worth developing a load. Forget what works best in the gun and have more empathy for her and her desire to share in what you like.

On the porting, are you willing to give up the gun for months, maybe several, to have that work done? It seems easier to just get over what the guns optimal performance might be. You can reserve that ammo for yourself.

Get yourself some pink nail polish and color code the reloads that belong to her.
Old July 23, 2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Jayhawkhuntclub

I Magnaport all the revolvers that I think have too much value and resale desirability. It does a great job of bringing down both.

Seriously, lots of bullet/powder combinations you could use to achieve the same thing. Some Trailboss and some 200 grain bullets would make that thing pretty mellow.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:04 PM   #13
Sevens

It's a R-U-G-E-R. In the amount of time it would take you to make a phone call to Mag-Na-Port, Ruger will have made 17 more of them. Their value is as a shooter. Resale value? Seriously?

I picked up a 1985-built Redhawk .44 Mag, blued, with a 7.5 barrel. It had a bit of holster wear near the muzzle, but otherwise, no sign of even a full box of ammo through it. Six hundred dollars. And now it has $130 of M-N-P done to it and I enjoy it even more.

As for what I shoot through it, that's mostly 240gr LSWC at 870 fps. Two reasons... it's the most enjoyable to shoot and it's friendly to the steel plates at my club.

But I'm sick of hearing other people's opinions of what I "should" load and shoot for any purpose I wish. I will make the biggest, burliest and nastiest stuff I can make from a .44 Magnum round without exceeding published data. I don't do it for hunting, I don't do it for destruction and I don't do it to be obnoxious at any shooting range. For damn sure, I will never do it to hurt, scare, surprise, or laugh at some poor victim that shoots my revolver.

I do it because:
I can
I want to
It's safe
It's interesting
I learn from it
I enjoy it
...and if it makes *ANYONE* come to some idiotic conclusion about my motives, than that's just a happy bonus.

I will push a .44 Mag to the limit and never feel the need to buy a .454, .460 or .500, just the same way I will push a .357 Magnum to the bitter end without *ANY* idea that I need to be shooting a .41 or .44 Magnum "instead."

It's stupid, obnoxious rationale to project your feelings and ideas with these warped conjurings of "WHY" someone "needs" to do something (or ANYTHING!) that you don't feel the want or need to do.

It's a damn disease in this forum. I'd love to see it go the way of polio.
Old July 24, 2014, 07:37 PM   #14
GeauxTide

Interesting - no response to questions

A dubious post about a load of a non existent powder. 8 grains of nothing will produce 1400fps in the 45 Colt. I'm sure telling your wife to suck it up really helped.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:58 AM   #15
captneil19

wrong powder

I apologize to all I have a new kindle an for some reason it changes things ,my grand daughter said because of spell check and grammar. The correct powder is win 231 and the fps is 1000.IT Just tried to write 1231, if u have this problem go to the top drag down an tell it to accept. I Will try an be more alert as to what I post sorry guys what happened thanks for correcting me.
Old July 27, 2014, 12:24 PM   #16
captneil19

magna port

I decided no to do it,after reading you guys statements I wasn't taking in consideration my wife's ears.Also you mentioned it takes away from the pistol,I didn't realize that.So I decided to come down on the powder to 900 fps that should be good for her.I'm not giving in ,I just want her to have more quality time with me,since she likes shooting I'm going to use the range to invoke more of that .How about that guys
Old July 27, 2014, 05:30 PM   #17
GeauxTide

231 would be a good powder to use for the original load - 860fps. Your wife would be more comfortable and it would still be a potent load. I would highly recommend JB Wilson's BearPaw Grips.
http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store
Old July 29, 2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

now that we have that straightened out, a little experimenting, with bullet weights, & as suggested, Trailboss, with different powder charges, will net you a load that is easy to shoot, quiet, & hits to the point of aim of your favorite load
Old August 3, 2014, 06:59 AM   #19
JERRYS.

im chiming in with my MagNa-Porting story. I recommend it first off.

we have to shoot our carry loads when we qualify, no target or sub loads. I shot my 640 with rem. 125gr. full power loads and hated life for a few days.

sent 640 off for the porting, now its like shooting +ps . ive fired it from a jacket pocket and it did not catch fire, but it did blow the crapola out of the pocket. ive shot it at night and it did not change my night vision any more than before. all in all it made the little magnum much easier to shoot.
Old August 4, 2014, 12:18 PM   #20
bluestreakrem

While I have 4-5 guns that are Magna ported and in general I like Magna Porting, it has it's applications and not. The 45 Colt doesn't produce enough gas pressure at 15K psi which would allow Magna Porting to contribute much to recoil reduction. Magna Porting is a worth while investment on magnum load guns where there is enough gas pressure at 40K psi to make the porting work. A threaded on type chamber compensator will generate more recoil reduction than Magna Porting but will cost more.

Like others have suggested, load up some very light rounds or get Cowboy Action rounds as they are light loads that don't kick much. Otherwise let her shoot a heavy barreled 38 special.